Drive Chip and Putt Championship

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2023, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts
Default Drive Chip and Putt Championship

Holy Sh!t

The long drive champion for a 14-15 yo girls was 240 yards!

I need a new driver, there's definitely something wrong with my driver!

Old 04-02-2023, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Holy Sh!t

Lol! It does do a bit of damage to one’s ego. My golf game has improved since we moved here but I feel MUCH better comparing my game to that of my wife than to that of some of the youngsters I’ve seen. 200 yards out of my driver with anything remotely resembling accuracy represents a good day.

We attended the LPGA championship tournament (at least I think it was called that) in Chaska, MN a few years back. I recall these young Asian women about 5’ 10” tall and a BMI of probably zero nonchalantly walking up to the tee while conversing with other players, bystanders, etc. and then casually whacking the ball out over the horizon. It pointed out better than just about anything else the vast difference between a real golfer and your run-of-the-mill sod-chopper. Beyond impressive.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Lol! It pointed out better than just about anything else the vast difference between a real golfer and your run-of-the-mill sod-chopper. Beyond impressive.
I have played, pickup games, with former pro soccer players, former pro ice hockey players, raced against olympic yacht racers, was part of team that dominated college sailing and won a national championship, and marshaled at a PGA event. Professional athletes are built and wired way differently than the average athlete. I can't imagine what they have innately that we don't. (Aren't we all the same?) They have higher sensory levels and top whatever % of muscle / brain requirements that allow them to play at that level consistently and over long periods of time. Most of them started very young, as I did in sailing. . . but they are just built differently than we are.

and knowing a couple of these people, they all know how to cheat or where the limits of the rules are, and try to gain an advantage getting as close to that edge as possible or going over slightly, entering the grey area of interpretation. Whether they cheat or not is up to the individual. . .

sportsguy in name only
Old 04-02-2023, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Holy Sh!t

One of the nice things about golf here is we almost always see someone playing even worse than us ;-)
Old 04-02-2023, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
I have played, pickup games, with former pro soccer players, former pro ice hockey players, raced against olympic yacht racers, was part of team that dominated college sailing and won a national championship, and marshaled at a PGA event. Professional athletes are built and wired way differently than the average athlete. I can't imagine what they have innately that we don't. (Aren't we all the same?) They have higher sensory levels and top whatever % of muscle / brain requirements that allow them to play at that level consistently and over long periods of time. Most of them started very young, as I did in sailing. . . but they are just built differently than we are.

and knowing a couple of these people, they all know how to cheat or where the limits of the rules are, and try to gain an advantage getting as close to that edge as possible or going over slightly, entering the grey area of interpretation. Whether they cheat or not is up to the individual. . .

sportsguy in name only
Back in the 50's and 60's I played rugby at a pretty competitive level, but by today's standards of build and fitness, I would be classed as undersized, and seriously underweight.
Almost anorexic.
They are monsters out there now, and that's just the Juniors!
Closed Thread

Tags
drive, driver, swear, championship, rant-rave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.