Jon Rahm to LIV??

Old 12-08-2023, 08:12 AM

When the LIV tour gets better exposure it should take off. Right now it's only watchable on the cw net or streaming online. If they get on a major network like espn or cbs the numbers should climb

Old 12-08-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
There are reports that Jon Rahm will go to LIV for $600 million!!

Jon Rahm planning to bolt PGA Tour for LIV Golf in potential $600 million coup
Yeah, I've been thinking about going too...

Old 12-08-2023, 08:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:

Can't blame him for that kind of funny money. But I still won't watch LIV golf. Way too noisy. Like watching disney.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Go back and look at what Rahm said about the LIV Tour just a year ago. Lots of talk about integrity, and wanting to compete against the best golfers in the world every day. Guess he won't be doing that now. Sure...LIV has managed to lure a handful of good players, but it is mostly made up of has-beens and never-weres. But...then there is the money. The question becomes: Would you sell your soul to the devil if the money was right?

Old 12-08-2023, 08:59 AM
Default LIV Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJ61 View Post
I am not a fan of team golf either, or LIV, but 600m? That's incredible money, even for a pro golfer. I don't blame any of them for taking the $. I don't like it, but I understand it.

RCJ
I agree, RCJ61, money talks. My only thought is that for over two years, Rahm, has stated it's not about the money. Well guess what, it is. When they wave $600 mil in your face. I get it, it's about the money. They should just keep their mouths shut. I like Rahm a lot, I guess more so as a golfer. Now he'll be known as a huge hypocrite.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclas View Post
When the LIV tour gets better exposure it should take off. Right now it's only watchable on the cw net or streaming online. If they get on a major network like espn or cbs the numbers should climb
Try watching it on CW network. Scoreboard (on all of the time) looks like a stock market tickertape (too much information). It was boring to me. Most of the tournaments are overseas and not a good time for us in the USA does not help. Will be interesting to see how this pans out financially for the Saudis. Most of their populace is dirt poor and they are paying these guys billions with no TV contract and much smaller crowds at their tournaments. With 3 day tournaments they already have 25% less than a PGA tournament.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabacon6669 View Post
I agree, RCJ61, money talks. My only thought is that for over two years, Rahm, has stated it's not about the money. Well guess what, it is. When they wave $600 mil in your face. I get it, it's about the money. They should just keep their mouths shut. I like Rahm a lot, I guess more so as a golfer. Now he'll be known as a huge hypocrite.
Like to play. Don't care to be a spectator. Call him, or any of the players, what ever you want, professional play for $$$. Like anyone, they go where they can make the most. 600 mil? Sure wish I could play that well.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:19 AM
Default Rahm

Quote:

He is from Spain, so he is loyal to his country not ours, so money talks he can walk. Will still be able to play majors.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Would you sell your soul to the devil if the money was right?[/QUOTE]

No! But I would probably agree to play golf at a different venue for 600 million.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Why wouldn’t he take it, the PGA sold him out.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

I think a lot of folks are missing the obvious about the LIV Tour.

The LPGA survives, despite abysmal TV Ratings in the USA, because it is a WORLD Tour.

The PGA is a USA Tour, with a couple of "rest of the world" events tossed in. There's a big giant world out there and the world's opportunity to watch the "best players in the world", is not the PGA/USA Tour. At this point, it's the LIV Tour, which has 3 of the Top 5 Players in the world and tournaments around the world.

As for the "I don't like what their tournaments are like", have you ever been to one? I have. I have never seen fans have more fun at a Golf Tournament, than they did at LIV Boston. 50% of the fans, weren't even "golf" fans, they were folks who wanted to see an EVENT they could bring their family to.

Stars are the attraction for golf fans. Scottie Scheffler isn't an attraction. Other than Tiger and Rory, the PGA Tour is devoid of stars. No Mickleson, no Rahm, no Koepka, no DJ, no Cam. It even goes a step further.

Because of LIV's format, it's more of a "family event" for the players. When's the last time you got to walk a few holes with Paulina Gretzky or Jena Sims? You will at a LIV event. When's the last time you were able to watch 12 of the best golfers in the world, play the same golf hole, in the space of 20 minutes? Because of the Shotgun start, you can at a LIV event.

Golfers at a PGA Tour event, spend 8-10 hours at the golf course. Golfers at LIV events spend 6 hours at the event and the rest of the day, roaming around being normal folks you run into at restaurants or malls.

Sports in the USA is about entertainment and star power, not competition. LIV recognizes that and I'm not sure the PGA has figured it out yet.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Money and the limited schedule are the only things that made him go. All the talk about "growing the game" is the stuff the Saudis want him to sell. Of all the LIV players, I think Harold Varner was the only one to admit that it was just the money and limited schedule that convinced him. I guess he just didn't want to read the script.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Try watching it on CW network. Scoreboard (on all of the time) looks like a stock market tickertape (too much information). It was boring to me. Most of the tournaments are overseas and not a good time for us in the USA does not help. Will be interesting to see how this pans out financially for the Saudis. Most of their populace is dirt poor and they are paying these guys billions with no TV contract and much smaller crowds at their tournaments. With 3 day tournaments they already have 25% less than a PGA tournament.
I agree and I've watched it a couple times.… Very distracting.
I don't think the Saudis really care much about this being financially success or not, as their public investment fund (PIF) is worth $700 billion.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:05 AM

And he claims he only plays for the love of the game. What a crock! They finally bought him. Not a fan of LIV golf.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
I think Harold Varner was the only one to admit that it was just the money and limited schedule that convinced him. I guess he just didn't want to read the script.

Pat Perez has been joking about it since the beginning.

Tags
jon, rahm, liv, reports, $600

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.