PGA and LIV to merge

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2023, 07:24 AM

Money for the American and European tours will now be coming from the Saudis. A modern day buy-out, a corrupt one.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:34 AM
Default Response

This is not a good thing for golf. They just lost me and a lot of other fans from watching golf. I want nothing to do with Saudi run organization.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:37 AM

I’m finished with golf and sponsors supporting Saudi blood money. I’m sure no one will miss my support
Old 06-07-2023, 07:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Merger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
If it is true, it is a good thing for golf - for the players and the fans.

But for those people who hated LIV, they won’t be able to watch golf anymore because of the Saudi connection!
Correct! The merger was inevitable but agreeing to have the Saudis as the sole financial entity is just a total sell out. All the human rights violations that werr talked about as the big negative now just go away???? Seems the PGA just took the money and ran. Same old story Money talks Bulls--t walks. Personally I'm disgusted. The PGA just spit in the faces of all the golfers that turned down the money and stood with the PGA.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:40 AM
Default Merger

I left the Olympics when they allowed the Dream Team to play basketball ...
they won't miss me either.........
Old 06-07-2023, 07:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It’s got to involve in money or some kind of control.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:00 AM

Brooks Koepka did it
Old 06-07-2023, 08:02 AM

That's what the Arabs wanted, to get their hand into the $ PGA $; what's next, the NBA...
Old 06-07-2023, 08:09 AM
Default Boycott LIV?

Better look at the whole pic. Why isolate this transaction? We’ll see if Brandl Chamblee will tone down his comments.

Saudi Arabia'''s wealth fund nearly triples US stock investments to more than $43bn
Old 06-07-2023, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Disgusting. I’ll stop watching golf on TV and definitely never attend a tournament live.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:35 AM

Every time you fill up your car with gas you support Saudi control of oil prices
Old 06-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
Yay!
A monopoly again. Viewers are the losers.
Ain't that the truth!!!
I will continue to golf but will NEVER watch another PGA event again. I'm sure the survivors and the families of the over 3700 people who died in 9/11 won't either.
I bet you will see a huge increase of viewership of the LPGA. I get to watch great golf and don't get any of the Jr. High drama.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS RAY View Post
This is not a good thing for golf. They just lost me and a lot of other fans from watching golf. I want nothing to do with Saudi run organization.
TIMES 2!!!!!!: I will stay as far away from blood money as I can. mad:
Old 06-07-2023, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
It is definitely going to get major pushback from this group:

9/11 families feel 'betrayed' by PGA Tour over LIV Golf merger
As well they should! I'd say to anyone who thinks this is good you need to pull down your patriot flags and all that other paraphernalia you have hanging all over yourself because you truly are not a patriot.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS RAY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbnick View Post
I’m finished with golf and sponsors supporting Saudi blood money. I’m sure no one will miss my support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Correct! The merger was inevitable but agreeing to have the Saudis as the sole financial entity is just a total sell out. All the human rights violations that werr talked about as the big negative now just go away???? Seems the PGA just took the money and ran. Same old story Money talks Bulls--t walks. Personally I'm disgusted. The PGA just spit in the faces of all the golfers that turned down the money and stood with the PGA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Disgusting. I’ll stop watching golf on TV and definitely never attend a tournament live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Ain't that the truth!!!
I will continue to golf but will NEVER watch another PGA event again. I'm sure the survivors and the families of the over 3700 people who died in 9/11 won't either.
I bet you will see a huge increase of viewership of the LPGA. I get to watch great golf and don't get any of the Jr. High drama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
As well they should! I'd say to anyone who thinks this is good you need to pull down your patriot flags and all that other paraphernalia you have hanging all over yourself because you truly are not a patriot.
My initial reaction to the LIV tour in the first place and this new merger was exactly the same.

For a personal perspective, I have more reason than most to hate the people that perpetrated that infamous act, with the obvious exception of the victims families. My high school class of 99 on Long Island lost 2 people that day---a NYC firefighter and a trader for Cantor-Fitzgerald. My brother would go to the WTC 2-3x/month and my nephew about the same---I could not contact anyone due to phone lines being overwhelmed. One of our bridesmaid's father worked in the #7 building, he was almost crushed by a jumper when they evacuated and has not been the same since. A good friend lost his wife on the plane that crashed into the North Tower after they decided that she would go to her conference in LA alone and he would visit his family in central NY----he heard the news while driving down the Mass Pike--likewise, he's never been the same. And to top it off my son was in the air at the time going from Phoenix to Boston. They put that plane on the ground in Indianapolis from 35,000 feet in about 2 minutes. And like many, my initial reaction was to raise the temperature of 1.2 billion adherents to that philosophy to 10,000 degrees in half a second.

Now, that being said, we might well be talking about the long term survival of one of the greatest games ever that has been around for at least 800 years. Recent politics should not be permitted to end golf. Basically, it looks like the PGA has been financially forced to make a business decision irrespective of the ethics and morality of the Saudi government. The cost of litigation could well bankrupt the PGA and World DP tours, considering the non-profit PGA generates about $2 billion in "profit" per year, but the Saudis have trillions at their disposal.

Is this deal fair to the players that stuck with the PGA and turned down hundreds of millions? No, but those players aren't likely to starve in the street. Did Jay Monihan feather his own nest by making this deal that will leave him as CEO of the new Saudi based corporation? Pretty sure, since he now gets paid $10 million/year and that will probably be much more form the new corporation. Are we in love with the human rights violations of Saudi Arabia? Obviously not, but many businesses and business decisions are made without regard to the morality of the other party.

Do I wish Greg Norman never started this ball rolling in 1995? Do I wish Leftie stayed with the PGA and pursued a senior career. Do I wish the Saudis would be called out for "sportswashing"? Of course, but this is not how it played out. So should all the world PG tours, golf professionals and tens of millions of recreational players cut their own throat to prove a point????

You decide.
Closed Thread

Tags
pga, $$$$, potentially, love, pure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.