Should Brooks Koepka be on the Ryder Cup

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2023, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The PGA Tour has nothing to do with the PGA. They are separate and distinct organizations.

It will up to Zach Johnson, if he wants to use one of is Captain's picks to choose Koepka.

As Johnson has 6 "Captain's Picks", Koepka is likely to be one of them.

Then again, it's entirely possible that something "crazy" may happen with Koepka's relationship with LIV, which would make his Ryder Cup selection a sure thing.
Why would he be a captain's pick? Isn't he #2 on the points list?

According to PGA rules, the first six players on the points list are automatically on the team. If he's denied, I would expect a law suit. The PGA has never required players to be on any specific tour, only that they be a PGA of America member and have enough points. I believe that Brooks qualifies on both counts.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Apparently you're a PGA of America member?

I just remembered (& checked to make sure my memory wasn't failing).

Paul Casey (a LIV Tour member) was granted a Special Exemption into the PGA Championship.

Casey's career obviously doesn't compare with Koepka's, nor is he even American.

It seems the PGA of America has already made its decision regarding LIV players.

Now it's up to Zach Johnson.

PGA Championship winners are exempt for life. That's why Koepka and Mickelson were in the field. I don't know why Paul Casey was granted a special exemption.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
No I am not a PGA member but Sweeney is - tell it to him. The question was should Brooks Koepka be on the Ryder Cup? Not is he eligible. My answer to the OPs question is still "NO".

The PGA which include the PGA of America and the PGA Tour organizations have been nothing but hypocrites about players leaving to go to LIV since day one $$$. Why should they now get to profit from the very players they blackballed ?
The PGA of America and PGA Tour are two separate organization but cooperate with one another.

Old 05-22-2023, 04:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erider View Post
Because of his PGA win yesterday, Koepka has vaulted to #2 in Ryder Cup points. He is also member of PGA of America, which runs the Cup, PGA Tour has nothing to do with it. He's pretty much a lock, doesn't need Zach to use captains pick.

With 3 months to go, Brooks is anything but a "lock" to make the Top 6, unless he also wins one of the (2) remaining Opens.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
With 3 months to go, Brooks is anything but a "lock" to make the Top 6, unless he also wins one of the (2) remaining Opens.
I do not know how points are allocated, but if Keopka is currently #2 in Ryder Cup points, how can he drop out of the top 6 if he does not win one of the last two majors? What if Rahm or Roy wins the majors. They are certainly not going to be on the US team.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:47 AM
Veteran member

Easy answer, no. He made his decision.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:21 AM

The Ryder Cup is a team event. I don't think it'll be up to the points system or Zack Johnson. I think the qualifying players will vote him in or not. And it will probably have to be unanimous.

It'll be interesting to see since LIV is suing the PGA tour, which is owned by the players. This has made many current players unhappy with LIV and former players like Couples, who will be assisting Zach.

If Koepka being on the team will make things awkward then it's probably best he doesn't join the team.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypart View Post
The Ryder Cup is a team event. I don't think it'll be up to the points system or Zack Johnson. I think the qualifying players will vote him in or not. And it will probably have to be unanimous.

It'll be interesting to see since LIV is suing the PGA tour, which is owned by the players. This has made many current players unhappy with LIV and former players like Couples, who will be assisting Zach.

If Koepka being on the team will make things awkward then it's probably best he doesn't join the team.
A vote?????? Let's keep that in mind if the captain's picks ever become a democracy. And unanimous at that??? The player's "own" the PGA tour????? Let's hope you're not planning on becoming the next PGA commissioner
Old 05-23-2023, 05:39 AM

Nope
Old 05-23-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
A vote?????? Let's keep that in mind if the captain's picks ever become a democracy. And unanimous at that???
If someone like Justin Thomas, a critic of the LIV lawsuit, says I won't play with Koepka, not likely Johnson will pick Koepka to be on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The player's "own" the PGA tour????? Let's hope you're not planning on becoming the next PGA commissioner
The PGA tour is a non-profit member organization.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I do not know how points are allocated, but if Keopka is currently #2 in Ryder Cup points, how can he drop out of the top 6 if he does not win one of the last two majors?

1 point per $1,000 earned at regular PGA Tour events beginning January 1, including the Zurich Classic and WGC events, through the BMW Championship (August 20)

2 points per $1,000 earned for winner of the Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open and The Open

1.5 points per $1,000 earned for all others that make the cut at the Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open and The Open

No points available at PGA Tour opposite-field events

The top 6 are

Scottie Scheffler 20,235
Brooks Koepka 8,936
Max Homa 7,314
Xander Schauffele 7292
Patrick Cantlay 6871
Cameron Young 6629

Ryder Cup Standings | ESPN
Old 05-23-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
2017: T11 (Masters), 1 (US Open), T6 (Open), T13 (PGA)

2018: 1 (US Open), T39 (Open), 1 (PGA)

2019: T2 (Masters), 1 (PGA)

2023: T2 (Masters), 1 (PGA)
Old 05-23-2023, 08:02 AM

Absolutely, he should be on the Ryder Cup, and any other US-represented golf team.

Like anyone else, he received a job offer for more income - much of it guaranteed. He accepted that job offer.

If Saudi Arabia is in good standing with the United States Government, why not it's citizens who work with, or for a Saudi entity?

From the official State Department website:

U.S.-SAUDI ARABIA RELATIONS

Following recognition in 1931, the United States and Saudi Arabia established full diplomatic relations, with exchange of credentials and appointment of the first U.S. ambassador (initially resident in Cairo) , in 1940. Saudi Arabia’s unique role in the Arab and Islamic worlds, its holding of the world’s second largest reserves of oil, and its strategic location all play a role in the long-standing bilateral relationship between the Kingdom and the United States. The United States and Saudi Arabia have a common interest in preserving the stability, security, and prosperity of the Gulf region and consult closely on a wide range of regional and global issues. Saudi Arabia plays an important role in working toward a peaceful and prosperous future for the region and is a strong partner in security and counterterrorism efforts and in military, diplomatic, and financial cooperation. Its forces work closely with U.S. military and law enforcement bodies to safeguard both countries’ national security interests. The United States and Saudi Arabia also enjoy robust cultural and educational ties with tens of thousands of Saudi students studying in U.S. colleges and universities and scores of educational and cultural exchange visitors each year. The United States also provides promising youth and emerging Saudi leaders the opportunity to experience the United States and its institutions through the International Visitor Leadership Program and various other exchange programs.

U.S. Cooperation with Saudi Arabia

The United States and Saudi Arabia have a longstanding security relationship. Saudi Arabia is the United States’ largest foreign military sales (FMS) customer, with more than $100 billion in active FMS cases. Through FMS, the United States has supported three key security assistance organizations in Saudi Arabia—the Ministry of Defense, the National Guard, and the Ministry of Interior. Since the 1950s, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has also played a vital role in military and civilian construction in Saudi Arabia.

Additional programs support closer cultural, educational, and institutional ties between the United States and Saudi Arabia. The U.S.-Saudi partnership is rooted in more than seven decades of close friendship and cooperation, enriched by the exchange opportunities that are key to the promotion of mutual understanding and the long-term development of ties between our two peoples. In cooperation with the Government of Saudi Arabia, the United States provides technical support in areas such as education, trade, and economic development.

Bilateral Economic Relations

The United States and Saudi Arabia enjoy a strong economic relationship. The United States is Saudi Arabia’s second largest trading partner, and Saudi Arabia is one of the United States’ largest trading partners in the Middle East. Saudi Arabia is the third leading source of imported oil for the United States, providing about half a million barrels per day of oil to the U.S. market. The United States and Saudi Arabia have signed a Trade Investment Framework Agreement. Saudi Arabia launched its Vision 2030 program in April 2016, laying out plans to diversify the economy, including through increased trade and investment with the United States and other countries.

Saudi Arabia’s Membership in International Organizations

Saudi Arabia participates in a number of international organizations, including the United Nations, International Monetary Fund, World Bank, and World Trade Organization. Saudi Arabia also is an observer to the Organization of American States.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:18 AM
Default Koepka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Brooks Koepka won the PGA today and finished second in the Masters.

Should he play on the USA Ryder Cup team?
No. Not in PGA, not on Ryder Cup team. Plenty of very good young players for the team who are eligible. I like Koepka, but he made his choice to leave PGA.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:24 AM

Yes, send the best to Ryder
Closed Thread

Tags
koepka, ryder, cup, brooks, usa

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.