Went to LIV golf tournament in Orlando

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2023, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts
Default Went to LIV golf tournament in Orlando

Decided to go watch my first golf tournament on Friday March 31st. I know there's a lot of controversy about LIV, but took the cheap opportunity to watch pros up close.

I expected a real party experience since they say "golf but louder", but it was traditional quiet golf with some faint music pumped in, here and there. There is an entertainment area with golf simulation and various shows and games at the 9th hole area. You can also upgrade your ticket to various 'club' areas on the course where the party atmosphere seemed to be.

I enjoyed watching/following Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson's group. The crowd was LOVING Phil, which as a leftie I did too! He was so responsive to the fans. Thanking us when we'd say "good putt Phil", and I even got a fist pump from him when he was passing by!

Even though it was a thrill to be so close to these professional golfers, I found myself getting bored by not being able to follow the path of the ball in the sky or see where it landed (much better view of that on TV). They should use bright colored balls, that might help us. Kept hearing from so many, "I can't see where it went". The walking was too much for me (yes I'm getting old), and the quality of golf was not amazing. So many missed good birdie opportunities. They both were -1 by the 9th hole and I'd had enough.

Glad I experienced it, but have no desire to watch live golf again. Have you gone to live golf tournaments? What was your experience?
Old 04-01-2023, 05:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We used to regularly to Arnie's tournament in Orlando. We are avid walkers, so for us it was nice to be able to see the course up close, and appreciate the quality of the play much more than just seeing it on TV. Also, if you happen to follow a "hot" foursome, it is very exciting to see the great shots and scores. And you get a sense of the personalities of the golfers, more than you see on TV.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

To me, one advantage to live golf is that you get a better feel for the long distances. Many non-golfers probably don't realize that the length of a football field is just a short wedge shot for a golfer. Television cannot recreate a 300-yard drive.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To me, one advantage to live golf is that you get a better feel for the long distances. Many non-golfers probably don't realize that the length of a football field is just a short wedge shot for a golfer. Television cannot recreate a 300-yard drive.
Watching 300+ yard drives is truly amazing. My friend came down to visit, and golf, last week and brought his 32 year old son with him. On many par 4’s we had to wait for the green to clear because the kid was driving them from the blue tees. On the par 5 12th hole at Tierra Del Sol (a dogleg left) the kid hit over the trees, taking out the dogleg, and his ball winded up in the center of the fairway 110 yards from the hole. It took me two decent shots to get there. It’s amazing how far the professionals hit the ball, and many of them are only about 5’10” and 160 lbs.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

I could NEVER attend a live golf tournament. My impulse would be to find those in the crowd yelling “In The Hoooooole!!!’” And pummel them all.

Those stupid comments are ridiculous and irritating.

I’d end up in jail with bloody fists..
Old 04-01-2023, 08:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Watching 300+ yard drives is truly amazing. My friend came down to visit, and golf, last week and brought his 32 year old son with him. On many par 4’s we had to wait for the green to clear because the kid was driving them from the blue tees. On the par 5 12th hole at Tierra Del Sol (a dogleg left) the kid hit over the trees, taking out the dogleg, and his ball winded up in the center of the fairway 110 yards from the hole. It took me two decent shots to get there. It’s amazing how far the professionals hit the ball, and many of them are only about 5’10” and 160 lbs.
Watching a 300 yard drive on tv or in person is a totally different experience. Many pros can hit it 300+ in the air! The first time I went to a pro tournament I was amazed at how the ball keeps going up and keeps going and going - unlike my shot which goes up and comes down.

I went to the United States Women's Amateur a few years ago. These were mostly college girls and they were all very small - most under 5'6" and 125-150. But they took an easy swing and consistently hit it about 250 yards. Made it look so easy.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Decided to go watch my first golf tournament on Friday March 31st. I know there's a lot of controversy about LIV, but took the cheap opportunity to watch pros up close.

I expected a real party experience since they say "golf but louder", but it was traditional quiet golf with some faint music pumped in, here and there. There is an entertainment area with golf simulation and various shows and games at the 9th hole area. You can also upgrade your ticket to various 'club' areas on the course where the party atmosphere seemed to be.

I enjoyed watching/following Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson's group. The crowd was LOVING Phil, which as a leftie I did too! He was so responsive to the fans. Thanking us when we'd say "good putt Phil", and I even got a fist pump from him when he was passing by!

Even though it was a thrill to be so close to these professional golfers, I found myself getting bored by not being able to follow the path of the ball in the sky or see where it landed (much better view of that on TV). They should use bright colored balls, that might help us. Kept hearing from so many, "I can't see where it went". The walking was too much for me (yes I'm getting old), and the quality of golf was not amazing. So many missed good birdie opportunities. They both were -1 by the 9th hole and I'd had enough.

Glad I experienced it, but have no desire to watch live golf again. Have you gone to live golf tournaments? What was your experience?
Be happy you went to a LIV Event, a regular PGA Tour event would bore you to death. You have no clue what's going on, because events are unfolding at different times, in different places. All the LIV action is compressed, as everyone is playing together.

As for "following the ball", I have enough trouble following a drive when I hit it and those guys are hitting it 50% farther and 50% faster. Nature of the beast.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Watching a 300 yard drive on tv or in person is a totally different experience. Many pros can hit it 300+ in the air! The first time I went to a pro tournament I was amazed at how the ball keeps going up and keeps going and going - unlike my shot which goes up and comes down.

I went to the United States Women's Amateur a few years ago. These were mostly college girls and they were all very small - most under 5'6" and 125-150. But they took an easy swing and consistently hit it about 250 yards. Made it look so easy.
I'm impressed you were able to follow it. I tried from every angle, beside the player, somewhat in front, way in front, I never once was able to follow it in the sky.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

Youth is wasted on the young!
Old 04-01-2023, 10:21 AM

Went to The players Championship in NJ years ago and summer heat, large crowds and not being able to see much made it a day drinking beer in the tent. Of note that Saturday; I was standing at back of green on par 5 and saw John Daly's approach to green. Landed on green in two. When on the green we see he is putting with a two or three iron? Chatter amongst the spectators was Daly snapped his putter in half in frustration last hole! Missed the eagle putt, made birdie.
Since then I only go to tournament practice rounds and collect autographs in a more intimate and casual setting. However if anyone wants to give me or sell me Masters tickets I will go any day of the week!!! (serious!)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfriendly View Post
Since then I only go to tournament practice rounds and collect autographs in a more intimate and casual setting. However if anyone wants to give me or sell me Masters tickets I will go any day of the week!!! (serious!)
I have been to a few PGA tournaments and some PGA practice rounds. I agree - practice rounds are much better as the players are relaxed, joking with the gallery, and you can see how they prepare for the tournament. At a practice round, I saw Rory, Lee Westwood, Darren Clark, and Graeme McDowell playing together. Between one hole, they all walked very slowly along the gallery signing an autograph for anyone who wanted one! Must have been 50 or 60 people and it took about 15 minutes. Not very legible writing - more of a scribble but still very nice and people really appreciated it!

Golf is much better watched on TV. At a tournament, you can only watch one group at a time so you have no idea what is going on at the other 17 holes while if you watch on TV, you can see what is happening all over the course.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

I used to go to the Kemper Open every year. I've also been to the US Open, the US Senior open and the President's Cup.

Watching the pros play the same course I played (TPC Avenel) was a treat. It showed me that they don;'t play the same game is I do. Just the sound of the ball "sizzling" as it left the tee dropped my jaw...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-01-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
I could NEVER attend a live golf tournament. My impulse would be to find those in the crowd yelling “In The Hoooooole!!!’” And pummel them all.

I agree. I’d be in the cell next to you!
Old 04-01-2023, 02:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Be happy you went to a LIV Event, a regular PGA Tour event would bore you to death. You have no clue what's going on, because events are unfolding at different times, in different places. All the LIV action is compressed, as everyone is playing together.

As for "following the ball", I have enough trouble following a drive when I hit it and those guys are hitting it 50% farther and 50% faster. Nature of the beast.
Politely disagree. In both leagues hard to follow as all players are spread out(18 holes) and to make matters worse for the LIV, there are two tournaments, individual and team. Only way to follow ball is by standing behind the player and the ability to follow it for at least 250 yards.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post

And don't forget "mashed potatoes"---whatever that means.

Personally, there are a few LIV players I'd like to watch play again----but I refuse to support the sportswashing that is driving it.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, phil, watch, experience, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.