Went to LIV golf tournament in Orlando

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Watching 300+ yard drives is truly amazing. My friend came down to visit, and golf, last week and brought his 32 year old son with him. On many par 4’s we had to wait for the green to clear because the kid was driving them from the blue tees. On the par 5 12th hole at Tierra Del Sol (a dogleg left) the kid hit over the trees, taking out the dogleg, and his ball winded up in the center of the fairway 110 yards from the hole. It took me two decent shots to get there. It’s amazing how far the professionals hit the ball, and many of them are only about 5’10” and 160 lbs.
I don't know how many professional golfers you have seen lately but nowadays they are more like a cross between a thoroughbred racehorse and an NFL tight end. I've worked at the Arnold Palmer Invitational five of the past six years and when you're up close and personal with these guys they are physical specimens. I'm 6'2" and I found myself looking up at most of these guys. Every moment they're not on the golf course they're in the gym. These guys aren't Peter Jacobsen!
Old 04-02-2023, 09:33 AM

I can't watch golf with sound because of people yelling or commenting to the players! And congrats on the fist pump, if he tossed you his ball that would have been worthwhile.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:44 PM

Never won’t support anything Saudi or from China. Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Decided to go watch my first golf tournament on Friday March 31st. I know there's a lot of controversy about LIV, but took the cheap opportunity to watch pros up close.

I expected a real party experience since they say "golf but louder", but it was traditional quiet golf with some faint music pumped in, here and there. There is an entertainment area with golf simulation and various shows and games at the 9th hole area. You can also upgrade your ticket to various 'club' areas on the course where the party atmosphere seemed to be.

I enjoyed watching/following Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson's group. The crowd was LOVING Phil, which as a leftie I did too! He was so responsive to the fans. Thanking us when we'd say "good putt Phil", and I even got a fist pump from him when he was passing by!

Even though it was a thrill to be so close to these professional golfers, I found myself getting bored by not being able to follow the path of the ball in the sky or see where it landed (much better view of that on TV). They should use bright colored balls, that might help us. Kept hearing from so many, "I can't see where it went". The walking was too much for me (yes I'm getting old), and the quality of golf was not amazing. So many missed good birdie opportunities. They both were -1 by the 9th hole and I'd had enough.

Glad I experienced it, but have no desire to watch live golf again. Have you gone to live golf tournaments? What was your experience?
Old 04-02-2023, 02:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
We went to the LIV in Winter Garden yesterday (Saturday).

Having worked inside to ropes, we found this tournament in total to be OK, but disorganized...I posted separately on this forum.

Traffic/parking lines
Beer tent lines ridiculously long
Food lines long and "truck" quality
Golf shots long also, witnessed first birdie on #8

Golf tournaments in general are a lot of walking, tough to see balls in the air, etc..

But go enjoy
I agree with all your comments, except the only birdies I saw were on #2.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator_Girl View Post
So you're one of those yelling at the golfers?! I can't watch golf with sound because of people like you! And congrats on the fist pump, if he tossed you his ball that might be worthwhile.
No I am not one of those yelling at golfers. But Phil did appreciate those that were telling him "we love you Phil" or "great putt Phil" as he walked to next tee box. You might want to reread my post, and/or take a happy pill.

Last edited by La lamy; 04-02-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post
Your house is free of all Chinese manufactured products?
Old 04-02-2023, 04:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Good point!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-3.jpeg
Views:	615
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	97764  
Old 04-02-2023, 08:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post
If you pay your taxes in the USA, you're supporting a county that has BILLIONS of dollars of contracts with Saudi Arabia.

... to say nothing of where the gas in coming from, that you're putting in your car or golf cart, both of which, undoubtedly contain Chinese manufactured parts.

But yeah, stay away from those golfers who are making money from the Saudis!
Old 04-02-2023, 08:23 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Decided to go watch my first golf tournament on Friday March 31st. I know there's a lot of controversy about LIV, but took the cheap opportunity to watch pros up close.

I expected a real party experience since they say "golf but louder", but it was traditional quiet golf with some faint music pumped in, here and there. There is an entertainment area with golf simulation and various shows and games at the 9th hole area. You can also upgrade your ticket to various 'club' areas on the course where the party atmosphere seemed to be.

I enjoyed watching/following Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson's group. The crowd was LOVING Phil, which as a leftie I did too! He was so responsive to the fans. Thanking us when we'd say "good putt Phil", and I even got a fist pump from him when he was passing by!

Even though it was a thrill to be so close to these professional golfers, I found myself getting bored by not being able to follow the path of the ball in the sky or see where it landed (much better view of that on TV). They should use bright colored balls, that might help us. Kept hearing from so many, "I can't see where it went". The walking was too much for me (yes I'm getting old), and the quality of golf was not amazing. So many missed good birdie opportunities. They both were -1 by the 9th hole and I'd had enough.

Glad I experienced it, but have no desire to watch live golf again. Have you gone to live golf tournaments? What was your experience?
Worked 15 years as a volunteer at the A. Palmer, and at a number of LPGA tournaments as a cart driver for the participants (DEFINITELY enjoyed that "work", LOL !). Had 3 assignments at the A. Palmer as a hostess in the player's and major sponsor pavilion which housed an elaborate all day buffet (ate much better than any other tournament volunteers I can tell you, but missed having a course assignment so I could watch the action. Last PGA or LPGA tournament I worked was 4 years ago now. I completely agree with you, although being at any live event is an experience not to be missed, but for golf, just like in football, you will never ever get the view and detail you get from the couch watching and 85" TV and drinking a cola that did not cost $15 Will add that my fondest memories are of the volunteer breakfasts with Arnold when he was still alive... those are precious memories as the personal contact and conversation was much different than the fan experience as a fan on the course or warm up areas.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To me, one advantage to live golf is that you get a better feel for the long distances. Many non-golfers probably don't realize that the length of a football field is just a short wedge shot for a golfer. Television cannot recreate a 300-yard drive.
That is so true ! (meaning most non golfers probably have no idea of the distance or what a feat that is !
Old 04-02-2023, 08:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Bur you are ok with the government and American corporations doing the same thing?
Good job, Match point set !
Old 04-02-2023, 08:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
If I know how she/he accomplished buying nothing from China, I'd try it too ! Maybe they just missed a few things they didn't realize were actually made in China ? Like shoes, dishes, furniture, light bulbs, solar panels, candles, party decorations, "silver" ware, kitchen appliances, cell phones, athletic shoes, oh, hey, wait, I'm going to run out of room. I did go a a local hardware store for a new light switch, they managed to find me one from... MEXICO, not china, what a treasure, should I put it in or save it as a memento for the grands one day.....LOL ! Gosh, just looked, add my new hand tools for gardening and my new gardening gloves to that "China" list ! Got a new set of Tour Edge's... wonder where they are from ?
Old 04-02-2023, 10:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
That is so true ! (meaning most non golfers probably have no idea of the distance or what a feat that is !
I always explain it to people like this:

Picture Home Plate at any Major League Baseball Stadium you've been to. Doesn't matter which one.

Pick out a square of 4 seats x 4 seats. Anyone place you wish. Could be dead Center Field, 450' away.

Any PGA Tour Player could drop a ball on Home Plate and 8 out of 10 shots, land it in your square of 4 seats x 4 seats.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:21 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

LIV golf tournament with Elvin Sam Norman
Pros and cons of attending LIV golf tournament in Orlando.
When we arrived had no idea which parking lot we were suppise to park in. We went to wrong parking lot. The officer told us we had to turn around and go back to where we came from. I asked if there was any handicap parking, He didn't know so we went to the 1st parking lot. We asked 3 people if there was handicapped parking. Nobody knew so they parked us in this big field. We had to walk probably 300 yd to front entrance to go through security. Took about 30 minutes to get through security, even though they had 4 separate lines, because line was so long. Then we had to walk about another 3 or 400 yd to number 9 green. They did have a handicap spot set up for handicapped people by number 9 green. Just about all the spots were taken. We had a hard time watching when the players got on the green because all the cameras were right in our way. It got pretty hot once the clouds were not blocking the sun. One of the volunteers walked by we asked him where could we get some water? He said how many do you need I said too? He said I'll be right back. He came back in about 10 minutes with 2 Cold bottles of water which was really nice we thank them a lot. We were told when we came in that when we were ready to leave to go over to the Ada shack and they will give us a ride back to the parking lo. so we walked over to the Ada shack. We had to wait 30 minutes before somebody. Finally came around in a golf cart to give us a ride back to the parking lot. Was not very well organized we did get to see some of our favorite players. Very casual took a little get used to the different format. We heard a lot of people complaining about the disorganization. Don't think I'll be attending anymore LIV tournaments
Old 04-03-2023, 04:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Worked 15 years as a volunteer at the A. Palmer, and at a number of LPGA tournaments as a cart driver for the participants (DEFINITELY enjoyed that "work", LOL !). Had 3 assignments at the A. Palmer as a hostess in the player's and major sponsor pavilion which housed an elaborate all day buffet (ate much better than any other tournament volunteers I can tell you, but missed having a course assignment so I could watch the action. Last PGA or LPGA tournament I worked was 4 years ago now. I completely agree with you, although being at any live event is an experience not to be missed, but for golf, just like in football, you will never ever get the view and detail you get from the couch watching and 85" TV and drinking a cola that did not cost $15 Will add that my fondest memories are of the volunteer breakfasts with Arnold when he was still alive... those are precious memories as the personal contact and conversation was much different than the fan experience as a fan on the course or warm up areas.
That's cool!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, phil, watch, experience, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.