Will Covid restrict the best player in US Open?

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2022, 10:08 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts
Default Will Covid restrict the best player in US Open?

I watched some of Wimbledon the last week and the men’s winner was Novak Djokovic, a great player - perhaps the best ever.

But. He may very well be banned from playing at the upcoming US Open tournament. Solely because he does not want to be Covid vaccinated. Solely.

I find this to be outrageous. So year 2000 and 2021. If the US Open officials do maintain this stand, WTF?

Wimbeldon did ban Russian players, so be it to condemn Russia’s actions. But if Novak’s possible ban is held for him here what a stupid decision. IMO
Old 07-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,972 Times in 755 Posts

I could care less!
Old 07-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
I could care less!
Actually, grammatically, it’s I couldn’t care less. Thanks for letting us know that.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
I watched some of Wimbledon the last week and the men’s winner was Novak Djokovic, a great player - perhaps the best ever.

But. He may very well be banned from playing at the upcoming US Open tournament. Solely because he does not want to be Covid vaccinated. Solely.

I find this to be outrageous. So year 2000 and 2021. If the US Open officials do maintain this stand, WTF?

Wimbeldon did ban Russian players, so be it to condemn Russia’s actions. But if Novak’s possible ban is held for him here what a stupid decision. IMO
The problems in professional tennis are many and varied at this point, but mainly both the ATP and the WTA are victims of their own virtue-signaling--and when it comes to COVID, what better arena to demonstrate one's virtue. It isn't new, by the way: Novak Djokovic was banned from last year's US Open as well as well as this year's Australian Open, by the State of New York in the first case and by the government of Australia in the other. The ATP didn't lift a finger to help in either case; Djokovic had COVID and recovered nearly a year ago now, so you'd think that the ATP would have tried to do something to get the world's #1 player into those tournaments. But Djokovic has time and again been at odds with the ATP on issues, and as the world's #1 player he has tremendous influence--something the tight little world of professional tennis doesn't like at all.

The Australian debacle was particularly interesting because of political ramifications. Novak Djokovic had applied for an exemption to play in the Australian open, which was granted by the government, but that exemption was overruled at the last minute (while Djokovic's airplane was enroute to Australia, actually) and was taken into custody at the airport as soon as he landed. Speculation was that the overrule was facilitated by a disgruntled faction in the government. Novak Djokovic is pretty much the national hero of Serbia and has tremendous influence. He spoke out against a proposed copper mine in Serbia by Australian mining interests because of environmental concerns, which may have been the driving force behind the cancellation of his exemption. There were huge demonstrations in Serbia over this and the Serbian government got involved as well.

It promises to get messier. Because the Russians were banned from competing at Wimbledon, the ATP and WTA decided that the tournament would be exhibition only: the prize money was still there but there would be no points (the method by which professional tennis players achieve their rankings) awarded. At this point, should the ban on Djokovic participating in the U.S. Open continue, I wouldn't be surprised if that tournament was downgraded to "exhibition" as well.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Actually, grammatically, it’s I couldn’t care less. Thanks for letting us know that.
Maybe they actually meant they COULD care less, but aren't going to...
Old 07-12-2022, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Covid will not restrict his ability to play, his refusal to get vaccinated will.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Maybe it is the player that is restricting their participation by not obeying the rules of the organization they want to play in. Just saying, I don't recall any law saying we have a right to play Tennis.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
I could care less!
I couldn't care less.

But, apparently, you could care less, unless you made a grammatical error, and meant to say that you also couldn't care less, like me.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

Remember the 2022 Australian Open? A reference point.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Covid will not restrict his ability to play, his refusal to get vaccinated will.
I agree. Suppose we spent billions of dollars developing a vaccine, and everyone refused to take it?
Old 07-12-2022, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
It isn't new, by the way: Novak Djokovic was banned from last year's US Open as well as well as this year's Australian Open, by the State of New York in the first case and by the government of Australia in the other.
Djokovic played in last year’s US Open. He lost in the finals.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:55 PM
Platinum member

I believe the city of New York required athletes to be vaccinated. However, this requirement was waived for baseball players. A few of the Yankees and Mets are not vaccinated. A waiver could be granted for Djokovic, but doubt it will be.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
I could care less!

Cared enough to post.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. Suppose we spent billions of dollars developing a vaccine, and everyone refused to take it?
We? They just printed more money. Nobody paid for it yet.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:40 AM

Quote:

Navak is not the only professional athlete that has refused the "temporary vaccination". Please recall what occurred with Aaron Rodgers as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
open, covid, ban, solely, player

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.