Alzheimer's support

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Default Alzheimer's support

Are there any places in The Villages that assist the caretaker with family members with Alzheimers? Are there any special support groups or services available?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 AM

Hi Campy,

My parents moved across the street form us here in TV so my Dad will have more support in caring for my Mom, who has Alzheimer's. There are 3-4 support group meetings where you can find information and you can find their listings in the weekly Rec news.

We were hoping to find a day care center of some sort to use for a few hours a week for respite, but unfortunately it seems that there are none around that we could find. If anyone knows of one, PLEASE let me know!

There are several agencies that offer in home care and we had a good experience with the Comfort Keepers. I have also heard good things about Grannies Nanies.

Unfortunately, my Mom rebelled having a "babysitter" in her house, so we have any outside help on the back burner until it becomes a necessity.....not too far off.

Good luck with this horrible disease and know that you are not alone.

Karen
Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

Hi Campy and Karen,
I am sorry that you are experiencing seeing your loved one suffer with this horrible disease of Alzheimers. I lost my father to this disease and my sister and I did our best to care for him as long as we possibly could. He also would not allow anyone to come into the home to care for him, even for an hour. I would like to suggest a wonderful book that was suggested to us, its called "The 36 Hour Day" by Nancy L. Mace. It was a great help to us in understanding what is going thru the mind of the loved one and is really geared for the caregivers. I hope this helps, I am sure its available in Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com.
Sending prayers for you and your loved one,
Jeanne
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Jeanne,

Thanks for you kind words. I have that book and it is very helpful! I'm sorry you had to go through this horrible experience with your Dad......It is such a cruel disease!

Karen
Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 PM

Hi Jeanne and Karen:
Thank you both for responding and I'm sorry that you both have had to personally experience a loved one with this disease. It's something we'll never forget.
Karen - thank you for the agency recommendations and
Jeanne - I too have read the book and found it helpful.
With several support group meetings I suspect there are many people dealing with loved ones with Alzheimer's. Have either of you attended any of the support group meetings? Did you find it helpful?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Thank you both for your kind words. I am glad you both found the book helpul, it became my bible during that period, I would find myself using it every day.
I personally didnt go to any support groups, but I think they are a wonderful source of support. We were in VT in the middle of no where, and we werent able to leave him with anyone to go to one, so I guess we supported each other.
However, I would highly suggest going to one, especially since there are groups in The Villages. It is very hard on the caregiver, as well as the patient and hearing from others going thru the same experience could be a tremendous help and lifeline to keep you going each day.
My prayers go out to you both and to your families.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Default Alzheimer's Support

Campy

I've not had a requirement here in Florida for respite care, but understand that some of the churches (St Timothy's, I believe, and also I think several others) do offer this service. You might want to check there.

Also, I did attend one support group meeting at the Northlake Presbyterian Church a couple of years ago. Wonderful, caring - so many suggestions for caring for the loved one. However, the specific meeting I attended was geared to the caregiver only (which I am not) so I didn't return.

My mother (96) is in advanced stages of ALZ and lives in Ohio in a lovely Special Services Assisted Living Center (near my sister). This truly is a devastating disease, but it's possibly harder on family members than it is on the patient because they don't realize what is happening to them, so we've been told. I pray that is true.

Good luck to you and your family. I'm so sorry you have to face this --

Chocolata
Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Default info I saw regarding alzheimer's on youtube

There is a Dr. Mary Newport on youtube who talks about using organic coconut oil and the ways it has helped her husband who has alzheimers. She has a series of 6 short videos which discuss how she came to use the organic coconut oil and the reasoning. I thought some on the support group might find the information helpful.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Thank you Caleygirl. I'm going to check it out.

KC
Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen83 View Post
Hi Campy,

My parents moved across the street form us here in TV so my Dad will have more support in caring for my Mom, who has Alzheimer's. There are 3-4 support group meetings where you can find information and you can find their listings in the weekly Rec news.

We were hoping to find a day care center of some sort to use for a few hours a week for respite, but unfortunately it seems that there are none around that we could find. If anyone knows of one, PLEASE let me know!

There are several agencies that offer in home care and we had a good experience with the Comfort Keepers. I have also heard good things about Grannies Nanies.

Unfortunately, my Mom rebelled having a "babysitter" in her house, so we have any outside help on the back burner until it becomes a necessity.....not too far off.

Good luck with this horrible disease and know that you are not alone.

Karen
One thing missing in TV's is adult day care. I guess it just doesn't fit their image. The best place I have found (for my wife with AZ) is Prestige Manor in Bellview. It is an assisted living facility which accepts day care. I leave my wife there two days a week for 8-9 hrs/day and the cost is very reasonable ($50/day). Check them out @ 352-245-1005. Don S.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Default New Covenant United Methodist

has an excellent group that meets Thursdays at 10:00 - 11:30 AM. They provide a separate room to provide care for your loved one while you are able to go to the support group meeting. This allows you to talk with other caregivers who understand what you are going through. There is no need for advance registration - just show up on a Thursday morning. This group has been a great resource for caregivers for several years now. Good place to have your questions answered.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.