How many gallons of blood have you donated??

View Poll Results: How many gallons of blood have you donated so far?
1 -4 gallons. 9 45.00%
5 -8 gallons. 4 20.00%
9 - 12 gallons. 3 15.00%
13 - 16 gallons. 2 10.00%
17 - 20 gallons. 1 5.00%
21 - 24 gallons. 0 0%
25 - 28 gallons. 0 0%
29 - 32 gallons 0 0%
33 - 36 gallons. 0 0%
37 or more gallons! 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Taltarzac
Default How many gallons of blood have you donated??

With the Loud Boy Group hosting a blood drive here in the Villages on Saturday, September 11, 2010; it is time for a poll on how much blood people on TOTV have given.

I do not like needles so I hardly donated before moving to Florida in 1996. Since then, I have donated about 3.75 gallons of blood.

Do not forget about the Loud Boys Blood Drive. KathieI announced it better than I can. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...40&postcount=2

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-26-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Dancing Thyme

Mornin' Tal,
I don't know about how many gallons I've donated, but back in Los Angeles, I was on the repeat donor list for the American Red Cross and we had blood drives at least twice a year at my company. Once I realized it didn't hurt to give blood and also realized how important it was to donate just a pint, I became a regular donor. I have also given a few pints back to myself for a couple of major surgeries - I think its called autologous (?sp) which makes one feel very confident of the quality of blood they might receive if needed.
I can't stress enough the importance and need to donate and how easy it really is. The LA chapter of the Red Cross was very sad when I told them I was moving to FL...

If anyone needs to hold my hand during the process, I will be happy to accommodate you.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Default Giving Blood

would love to give but when I turned up at the van last month I was told that as I was British they would not accept my blood! Something to do with mad cow disease. The fact that I have not lived in the UK seems irrelevant. Rules are rules.

Maddening or as we Brits say Bloody ridiculous

Eric
Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy Sadly

I can't give here in FL. I donated every 4 months for as long as I can remember in TX. Here, they told me that since I have a coronary stent, I can't without my doctor's approval. He said, "No", because it puts a strain on the heart. Never heard that before, but since he won't give the ok, I can't do it. I would still love to do it and encourage anyone who can to do so. As KathieI said, it doesn't hurt and does so much good.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictarleton View Post
would love to give but when I turned up at the van last month I was told that as I was British they would not accept my blood! Something to do with mad cow disease. The fact that I have not lived in the UK seems irrelevant. Rules are rules.

Maddening or as we Brits say Bloody ridiculous

Eric
Very clever, Eric. Sounds like your hanging around with PTurner, LOL.

Unfortunately, I have heard that rule. If you have visited certain parts of the world within a certain time frame, they cannot accept your blood donation. It does seem kinda silly but apparently it has to do with the cost of testing that blood to be sure you are not carrying something serious. They still test it, but I guess they rule out "possible" high risk donations.

The other terrible thing I found out is that, when you donate your own blood for surgery, if they don't have to use it, they simply discard it. I thought that was awfully wasteful but they did explain again the costs of testing the blood for public use is very costly. Doesn't make any sense to me but again, those are the rules.

Thanks Dilly for the support. Its very helpful to encourage all to participate.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM

8 gallons for me.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Default Giving Blood Matters!

In July 1977, my just turned two, daughter suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, she used 16 pints that night as the surgeons performed a miracle,

I made a promise that night, Let her live, I'll always give,

and I have, well up over 14 gallons and still giving every time I am due, I currently donate double units so it is like every 16 weeks,

So every time you agree to give, you may be saving multiple lives,

Peace
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
In July 1977, my just turned two, daughter suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, she used 16 pints that night as the surgeons performed a miracle,

I made a promise that night, Let her live, I'll always give,

and I have, well up over 14 gallons and still giving every time I am due, I currently donate double units so it is like every 16 weeks,

So every time you agree to give, you may be saving multiple lives,

Peace
Great Story,
gives me goosebumps!!
Exactly why I do it!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Sage

The world record donor has given an astounding 34 gallons!! I also loved Linwood's story. Very touching. All of you blood donors and former donors are really life savers. We'll never know how many lives have been saved because of blood donors.

http://www.stripes.com/news/retired-...nation-1.98924
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Very clever, Eric. Sounds like your hanging around with PTurner, LOL.

Unfortunately, I have heard that rule. If you have visited certain parts of the world within a certain time frame, they cannot accept your blood donation. It does seem kinda silly but apparently it has to do with the cost of testing that blood to be sure you are not carrying something serious. They still test it, but I guess they rule out "possible" high risk donations.

The other terrible thing I found out is that, when you donate your own blood for surgery, if they don't have to use it, they simply discard it. I thought that was awfully wasteful but they did explain again the costs of testing the blood for public use is very costly. Doesn't make any sense to me but again, those are the rules.

Thanks Dilly for the support. Its very helpful to encourage all to participate.
KathieI!!!

Actually, I've been a regular blood donor since I was old enough to give blood. I believe that was 18 years old, although that was so long ago, I can hardly remember if it was 16 or 18.

I have a 10 gallon pin from Red Cross, but have probably given closer to 20. Back in the old days (don't know if they still do), they started ladies' records all over again when we married and changed our names.

To me, giving blood is perhaps the most awesome thing many of us can do in our entire lifetimes. Every time you give blood you are saving lives. Think about that for a minute. Really think about it-- the joyful loved ones, the future contributions of the people who didn't die.

There was a time when my blood lacked a rare immunity and it was needed and used exclusively for premature infants. I could just imagine the joy of the parents and grandparents being able to take the baby home alive. There is nothing I will ever be able to do more precious than that!

The company I used to work for had blood drives four times a year. I discovered one year that none of my staff of ten had ever participated. I gave a challenge that if four of them participated in the upcoming drive, I would take the entire staff to lunch (my expense). If eight did, I would take all of them to dinner. The $400 that dinner cost me was my proudest investment-- as five of the eight have become regular blood donors, as has the wife one of my former employees. For that, I feel that I have made a difference.

BTW, I'm afraid of needles. When they first came out, I used to take a Sony Walkman with soothing music to get me through it. Now if course I use my iPhone music.

I hope this post perhaps will move others to consider the gift of life. Not everyone can give. But if you can, just think-- you could spend the rest of your life saving lives!

p.s., I will not be in TV on Sept. 11. I still give up here. But if you are in TV and can, please, please participate. Break a record. PLEASE.

Last edited by Pturner; 08-26-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
KathieI!!!

Actually, I've been a regular blood donor since I was old enough to give blood. I believe that was 18 years old, although that was so long ago, I can hardly remember if it was 16 or 18.

I have a 10 gallon pin from Red Cross, but have probably given closer to 20. Back in the old days (don't know if they still do), they started ladies' records all over again when we married and changed our names.

To me, giving blood is perhaps the most awesome thing many of us can do in our entire lifetimes. Every time you give blood you are saving lives. Think about that for a minute. Really think about it-- the joyful loved ones, the future contributions of the people who didn't die.

There was a time when my blood lacked a rare immunity and it was needed and used exclusively for premature infants. I could just imagine the joy of the parents and grandparents being able to take the baby home alive. There is nothing I will ever be able to do more precious than that!

The company I used to work for had blood drives four times a year. I discovered one year that none of my staff of ten had ever participated. I gave a challenge that if four of them participated in the upcoming drive, I would take the entire staff to lunch (my expense). If eight did, I would take all of them to dinner. The $400 that dinner cost me was my proudest investment-- as five of the eight have become regular blood donors, as has the wife one of my former employees. For that, I feel that I have made a difference.

BTW, I'm afraid of needles. When they first came out, I used to take a Sony Walkman with soothing music to get me through it. Now if course I use my iPhone music.

I hope this post perhaps will move others to consider the gift of life. Not everyone can give. But if you can, just think-- you could spend the rest of your life saving lives!

p.s., I will not be in TV on Sept. 11. I still give up here. But if you are in TV and can, please, please participate. Break a record. PLEASE.
One of the many reasons we love you, PT, your the best...

Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Taltarzac
Default Making the Loud Boys louder!

Hope TOTV can make the Loud Boys Group louder at the September 11, 2010 Florida Blood Center's Blood Drive at the Canal Street Recreational Center.

It looks like we do have some regular blood donors here on TOTV.

See KathieI's reminder from another thread-- Blood donors

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-28-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default 187 pints donated. Now 188.

I ran into a donor at this month's Loud Boys Group annual blood drive who claimed to have donated 187 pints. 188 does sound luckier to me.

I have probably only donated about 5 gallons now counting donations in CA, MN, and FL. Never donated while living in NV, WI, AZ, UT, IL or CO.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-30-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

18 gallons that Rc counts, more than that. worked in blood bank for 10 years in those days if someone needed blood we would hop up on the table and draw out a unit. Didn't count those cause it was an act of love for someone in a glass bottle
Old 10-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default Salaries rise at merged blood bank, even as revenues fall

A sad part of the blood business in Florida.

OneBlood blood bank: Salaries rise at blood bank, even as revenues fall - OrlandoSentinel.com
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.