The Compassionate Friends

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Default The Compassionate Friends

Does the Villages have The Compassionate Friends support group? I just lost my daughter and need someplace to be.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Gold member

Geri, I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your daughter. I'm not familiar with The Compassionate Friends but did find through an internet search that there is a Chapter in Summerfield,
Summerfield/The Villages
TCF of Central Florida

Chapter#: 2137
Bob & Linda (352) 687-4005
bobminor@hotmail.com

Meeting Info: 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm
Meeting Address: Trinity Lutheran Church, 17330 S US Highway 441, Summerfield, FL 34491

There are also Chapters in Ocala and Orlando but I did not see any listed for The Villages. There is a phone number provided for locating Chapters and that number is: 877-969-0010. I found this information on the website of compassionatefriends-dot-org. I had to type it this way for it not to be changed by the forum.

I hope this information helps and please know you are in my prayers.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh my dear Geri.

You are in my prayers and my door is always open for coffee and hugs and to talk about whatever you want or to not talk about it. Or to take a walk or to do lunch or to go with me to art class. Or however I can help.

Just PM me.

Hugs and love.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh my dear Geri.

You are in my prayers and my door is always open for coffee and hugs and to talk about whatever you want or to not talk about it. Or to take a walk or to do lunch or to go with me to art class. Or however I can help.

Just PM me.

Hugs and love.
You are such a great person
Old 05-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I haven't heard of Compassionate friends here but...

I do know that several of the churches have Griefshare programs. Northlake Presbyterian is one but St. Marks and St. Timothy's and I think Hope Lutheran do also. Try calling a church near you at which you would feel comfortable, and ask about such a program.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you find a place to work through your grief. You will be in my prayers.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM

There is no group here. I too lost my child. My son. Perhaps we can get together.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Default Loss of Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by geri317 View Post
Does the Villages have The Compassionate Friends support group? I just lost my daughter and need someplace to be.
We understand your loss and did attend com. Friends . We lost our son. Will be coming down in Jan 14 to Hemmingway. Would be interested in listening with understanding. So sorry for your loss. Carrib
Old 12-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum member

I'm sorry to learn of your loss.

When I lost my wife I attended GriefShare meetings. They have a website and there are churches in The Villages that offer the meetings.

A new group is scheduled for January at
Fairway Christian Church 251 Avenida Los Angelos
Lady Lake, FL 352-259-9305 Mondays, 9:30 am – 11:30 am
(01/13/2014 – 04/07/2014)

Some groups have not entered meeting times into the Griefshare database, but may currently be offering sessions. You can contact them directly for details.

Live Oaks Community Church The Villages, FL

New Covenant United Methodist Church 3470 Woodridge Drive
The Villages, FL 352-750-4529

First Baptist Church at The Villages 16985 SE 79th Clearview Ave.
The Villages, FL 352-205-7114

The Griefshare web site is at GriefShare: Grief Recovery Support Groups

Again, my condolences on your loss.

Last edited by Carl in Tampa; 12-18-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Veteran member

Geri and Gabbi, I hope you can help each other find comfort. So very sorry for your loses. My heart aches for your both. It sounds like the wonderful people on this forum have provided some ideas for you that might be helpful. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Sage

Don't have any thoughts to help, but please accept my deepest condolences, on your daughters death.

I couldn't even to begin to imagine the incredible pain and loss, you are suffering, and going through. I wish there were certain words, that would comfort you, but I wish you find this support group, and they help you, thru this terrible ordeal.

My aunt lost her oldest daughter and suffered greatly. I recently met someone, who's son was killed, in a random shooting, ghree weeks ago. No parent should have to go through something, like this.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Sage
Default Thinking of you

Geri, I'm Thinking of you in this difficult time. Please accept my condolences. I think the best form of healing is talking to others in this same situation. It sounds like others are already reaching out to you. May God bless.....
Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 PM

I can say I am sorry and truly mean it, but I would rather hug you & listen to you. I started Compassionate Friends NE OH. After the death of my daughter, a humble nurse helped me form the group.

If you have a need to talk or meet, please call on me. I will also go to meeting with you for support.

Blessing To You My Friend.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Geri......so sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers going up that you find the right avenue to share your grief with others who understand and can provide some comfort.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default Just for Today

Just For Today

The Villages Florida

Just for today, I will try to live through the next 24 hours...not expecting to get over my child's death,
but learning to live with it...one day at a time.

Just for today, I'll remember my child's life, not his death, and bask in the comfort of the treasured days and moments we shared.

Just for today, I will forgive all the family and friends who didn't help or comfort me the way I needed them to. They truly did not know how.

Just for today, I will reach out to comfort a relative or friend of my child. For they are hurting too, and perhaps we can help each other.

Just for today, I will free myself from my self-inflicted burden of guilt. For deep in my heart, I know if there was
anything in this world I could have done to save my child from death, I would have done it.

Just for today, I will honor my child's memory by doing something with another child, be it my own,
or someone else's, because I know that would make my child proud.

Just for today, I will offer my hand in friendship to other bereaved parents, for I DO know how they feel.

Just for today, I will smile...no matter how much I hurt on the inside...for maybe if I smile a little, my heart will soften and I will begin to heal.

Just for today, I will allow myself to be happy and enjoy myself, for I know I am not deserting my child by moving on.

Just for today, I will accept that I did NOT die when my child did. My life did go on and
I am the ONLY one who can make that life worthwhile again.

~by V.Tushingham, taken from the Bereaved Parents of the USA Tampa Bay Newsletter, Sept 2001.

My condolences on your loss and I hope that this poem gives you're broken heart a brief moment of comfort from the pain you must be feeling.

Sincerely, Skyguy79
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Default New tcf contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachie View Post
Geri, I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your daughter. I'm not familiar with The Compassionate Friends but did find through an internet search that there is a Chapter in Summerfield,
Summerfield/The Villages
TCF of Central Florida

Chapter#: 2137
Bob & Linda (352) 687-4005
bobminor@hotmail.com

Meeting Info: 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm
Meeting Address: Trinity Lutheran Church, 17330 S US Highway 441, Summerfield, FL 34491

There are also Chapters in Ocala and Orlando but I did not see any listed for The Villages. There is a phone number provided for locating Chapters and that number is: 877-969-0010. I found this information on the website of compassionatefriends-dot-org. I had to type it this way for it not to be changed by the forum.

I hope this information helps and please know you are in my prayers.
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new contact for The Compassionate Friends of Central Florida. Meeting dates and location are the same as indicated above.

COntact: Cheryl Dungan at (352) 347-1942 or cheryldungan@gmail.com.

Thx - Mark Simon - newsletter editor - msimon2310@comcast.net
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.