OVARIAN CANCER SUPPORT GROUP

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default OVARIAN CANCER SUPPORT GROUP

If you are interested in this support group, contact these two wonderful women in TV to join their effort. Tracy Gorden 751-3014 email tmgorden@comcast.net..... and
Roxann Merino 7505628 email merino162@aol.com

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Default Re: OVARIAN CANCER SUPPORT GROUP

Hi Barbara!

Thank you for such wonderful comments about the article and the support group! I would love to let everyone know that we are still looking for more people if they feel they are in need of a group like this! Our next meeting is going to be the beginning of December so if you'd like more information, please don't hesitate to call me or email me!!

I don't think a person can ever have enough support and we can band together to help each other through anything.

Tracy Gorden
tmgorden@comcast.net
751-3014
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191
Tal, what does "Bump" mean?

Barb
"Bump" pushes the subject back to the first post made in that thread.

Just a way of making the subject "visible" again.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Dancing Thyme

Tal, thanks so much for bumping this subject. It is so worthwhile being part of a support group like this.

Barbara, once I'm living in TV, count me in. I had great support when I was going through my scare last year, and without those people, not sure I would've made it. I'm willing to support where ever I can, especially Cancer groups as that's the biggest killer in my family.

and, don't worry, we'll teach you the chat lingo, etc. Love ya, and wish the best for you,

Sincerely, Kathie

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Taltarzac

I am not sure that the bump worked? It did bring the subject back up though which is what I wanted. One of my sister-in-laws has been going through something like this and just quit chemo a few months back.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Dancing Thyme

Tal, it was good to bump it. Look they got one more member on the support group, ME!!!
I didn't see this post previously so bumbing was good.

Hope your sister in law is doing so well that she didn't require any more chemo or treatments. Good luck to Tal's sister in law.

regars, Kathie

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI
Tal, it was good to bump it. Look they got one more member on the support group, ME!!!
I didn't see this post previously so bumbing was good.

Hope your sister in law is doing so well that she didn't require any more chemo or treatments. Good luck to Tal's sister in law.

regars, Kathie
You are welcome. She seems to being doing well. ;D
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Dancing Thyme

Barb, Just curious, did they ever mention anything about what happened to the Gilda Radner Club for Ovarian Cancer survivors? I have not heard anything about it for many years and Gene Wilder was so much a part of the organization to keep it alive? I understood that it was a very uplifting informational group with tons of good info on this horrible illness. Thanks, Kathie

Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Gold member

Just for everyone information:

1. The last time I looked at the CURE magazine Gilda's club was mentioned it in.

2. Barb my husband was treated for Malignant Melanoma Stage 3 at Beth Israel in Longwood. I have also been concerned about doctors and treatment.

FYI Gilda used to visit the children at Sloane Kettering Memorial Hospital in NY. The only reason I know this, my son was a patient at the hospital. Fortunately he is okay and his cyst was benign.

Some years ago we agreed we would never move more than an hours drive from an airport. Easy access for treatment. He no longer goes to Beth Israel but is treated and seen regularly by a local doctor.

I think he will continue going to his local doctor who knows his history, and it will not cost that much to see him.

Do not know if anyone wants to join us or not, but traditionally, we do an annual yard sale to raise money for Cancer Research. It is both a rewarding and heartbreaking day.

The rewarding part is easy to figure out - we raise money, and on the other side is meeting so many people who either have cancer, are survivors, know someone who has cancer or a close friend, relative or significant other has died from cancer.

Tal, thanks for bumping this. I have not been on this site for quite a few days.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 AM
Dancing Thyme

Good, the site is still up and running. Wonder how much the support groups use the it?

Barb, wonderful ad campaign today on local L.A. TV about a young woman who is another ovarian cancer survivor. She was so just beautiful and full of enthusiasm and at the end she says, Oh yes and did I mention that "Bald IS beautiful too". I just loved it. Have you ever seen it???

My cousin who had cancer as well, Anne Bancroft, did a lot of voice overs for cancer research ads. I used to tell her that I thought she was very brave doing that. Amazing how strong people can be when faced with adversity.

Can't wait to join the group with you. See you early '08. Love, Kath

Old 12-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Gold member

In CURE Magazine, they list the following for Gilda's Club,
888-GILDA-4U, 888-445-3248, http://www.gildasclub.org

Hope this helps you.

The follow up magazine to CURE has recently been published, it is HEAL.

If you are not familiar with these magazines I suggest you go on line and get a subscription. they are free.

If you need more info, please let me know.

Enjoy the day.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Dancing Thyme

HB, are they better than Prevention? Will look them up. Thanks, K

Old 12-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Gold member

CURE magazine provides information including latest medical research, list of support groups, how to find assistance with pain management, and the list goes on.

When the editors of CURE realized that more and more people were surviving cancer they published HEAL. I just received my first copy and haven't had time to read it yet. This magazine provides information on being a survivor of cancer.

Hope this helps you.

HB
Old 12-16-2007, 01:34 PM

We are official! We have reservations thru the end of 2009 (I like that) for our monthly Ovarian cancer/gynocological cancer group meetings starting in January. We will meet the second Thursday of every month from 1-2:50pm in the Outer Banks Room of the Bridgeport Center, 1670 Lake Miona Drive. The Bridgeport Center is across from the Arnold Palmer Golf Course off Buena Vista Blvd. . It will be central for most of us who live in the Villages.

I checked out the room today and it will be perfect. It can hold up to 40 people and is usually set up with tables and chairs. We can see what configuration we like and request it prior to the meeting.
If we have guests who are not Village residents we will arrange for guest passes/ID's prior to the meeting. Just email me offlist if you can or else I might miss your request! (tmgorden@comcast.net)

Our first meeting will be Thursday, January 10th at 1:00pm. I am completing an event information form so we will be listed in the Village Sun Recreation issue on Thursdays. The first announcement will be the first week in January. See you there!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Default Gilda and Cancer Wellness Centers

I just learned about a week ago that Gilda's Club and The Cancer Wellness Centers have combined. They both agree this is a good thing and are just now deciding how to grow together. That would be wonderful, for all the different cancer groups would be welcome under one roof.

Do you know if there is a weekly cancer group meeting or breast cancer group meeting near TV? Thanks
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.