Reasons to quit smoking

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
I as a smoker do not need a lot of "do gooders" once again starting a thread on the evils of smoking.
I agree...anyone who smokes, know the "potential" consequences of those actions. No one needs a reminder from....oh well, nevermind.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I as a smoker do not need a lot of "do gooders" once again starting a thread on the evils of smoking.
I'm thinking that a lot of those same people, would be better served concentrating on the "evils" of obesity....and learning to push that plate away a little sooner.

Obesity VS. Smoking (poke here)

Quote:
Smoking has long been considered the greatest modifiable risk factor affecting longevity and quality of life, but it looks like obesity may now be an even greater threat to the health of Americans.

In the the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, researchers from Columbia University and The City College of New York calculate that the quality of life and years lost due to obesity are now equal to or greater than those lost due to smoking.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Sage

As a graduate of master's program in 2001 with a course in management of change, I wanted this thread to offer the graphic truth to those/we who would prefer to see reality rather than to stay in denial.
K.
ps if you want to post another thread opposing people wanting to quit, or nobody needs to hear this, or obesity is worse, please go ahead. this thread might not be the best place for your comments...this is a support thread, and undermining of good intention is not appropriate.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 05-21-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Default 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
As a graduate of master's program in 2001 with a course in management of change, this thread offers the graphic truth to those/we who would prefer to see reality rather than to stay in denial.
K.
ps if you want to post another thread opposing people wanting to quit, or nobody needs to hear this, or obesity is worse, please go ahead. this thread might not be the best place for your comments...this is a support thread, and undermining of good intention is not appropriate.
My best friend is my doctor. He recently told me, the good lord will give you the first 50 years, the second 50 years, you have to work for it.

Just got back from the gym, because at my age it takes a lot of work, to keep in shape!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroadman View Post
My best friend is my doctor. He recently told me, the good lord will give you the first 50 years, the second 50 years, you have to work for it.

Just got back from the gym, because at my age it takes a lot of work, to keep in shape!
thank you! I feel most alive after a swim, when the heart and lungs are pumping!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage

Reasons to quit:
My son has his late grandmother's initials tattooed on his arm. Her non-smoking siblings are alive and well...he'd far prefer her arms around him than her initials in her memory.
I'd like my arms around my grandchildren when they come, for as long as that is possible.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
I quit 16 hours ago. I'm doing good to myself. Nothing to do with you.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I quit 16 hours ago. I'm doing good to myself. Nothing to do with you.
Feel this hug.

Prayers too.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
i quit in 1988 but i still understand why some can't quit
Me too. It is very hard.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I agree...anyone who smokes, know the "potential" consequences of those actions. No one needs a reminder from....oh well, nevermind.
Oh well, nevermind quitting? I am doing this for myself, not reminding anybody, but simply putting the facts undeniably in front of my eyes and hoping for support. Your assumptions are incorrect, and your compassion is the opposite of support, which is what this thread is about. Why you bothered to post only you can examine in yourself. You irritated my effort, but I am determined.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Me too. It is very hard.
I would say I love you Grace, but everyone's first words about you are "I love her", so I'm in line shouting out for you. thanks...
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTrack View Post
I'm thinking that a lot of those same people, would be better served concentrating on the "evils" of obesity....and learning to push that plate away a little sooner.

Obesity VS. Smoking (poke here)

Ontrack, I'm not obese. I'm quitting smoking. Can you think of a reason you can help me with....I need all the worst news I can get about it. Smokers are in denial. support???
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Sage

http://http://www.journalnow.com/bus...a4bcf6878.html

Graphic images make the destruction undeniably real. May I say gently to those who think everyone knows, so why put any new thing out there, that addicts don't embrace the reality, they/we deny it. Putting the destructive images on the package is coming and already in place in UK, because graphics in your face results on smoking have more impact than animations and lengthy research articles have for most of us, even scholars.
I'm ready for any support, your story, can read in depth text or graphics. I ask you please not to post opposing or confronting my effort.
Kitty
Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
You stink (literally). (And I still smoke!)
thanks, Dee. Yes, I stank until 8 a.m. yesterday. I care about you...but that's not about smoking. Very nice to meet you.
Kitty

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 05-22-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 AM

Kitty this may sound overly simplistic yet it has worked for me (quite some time ago) and others who have used it. Just keep reminding yourself "I am not a smoker", "I don't smoke" and be absolute in that saying. Soon you will believe it and act accordingly, works for other habits as well. No use in filling your head with all the evils, etc. just inscribe this on your mind; "I don't smoke".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.