shingles

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Default shingles

anyone know of a support group for shingles?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

I do not know of one but hubby has had a very very bad case of them for over a month now..It is taking a hugh toll on his life he can't work (flooring installation contractor) let alone maintain our lifestyle...Thank goodness we own our own business as he would not be possible to do any floors at this point of the juncture..
IT affects the whole family for sure..I am going to have to get back down on my knees and install floors til he is able... not a happy camper....
I send prayers to you if you are suffering from this debilitating virus!!! IT IS HORRIFFIC!!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Gold member

Please everyone get the vaccine. To you that have it I wish that each day you will feel a little better. I know it's sooooo painful, hang in there.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Gosh, its very tempting to ask ASPHALT OR VINYL ......But I can't as I know they are very painful (the RASH that is) I am not aware of any support group but there should be as its a big problem here,,,,the VA advised me to get one and I'm glad I did , I am finding out it was a smart move,,,,

fumar
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

[QUOTE=The Great Fumar;552939]Gosh, its very tempting to ask ASPHALT OR VINYL ...
and i have to agree GET THOSE SHOTS..
hubby is having nerve damage with this stuff..his left side mainly leg is affected to the point where he falls sometimes as his foot feels like it is not there...
its a horrible thing....

Last edited by babbs455; 09-08-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 PM

My mom is 86 and has been suffering over 6 months. Horrific pain way after the rash lightens up. I feel so bad for her. Nothing helps. To come this far in life with no major illnesses and this just attacked her.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmk View Post
anyone know of a support group for shingles?
No I don't know of a support group but I do know you can't get the shot if you have an autoimmune disease. Just an FYI for everyone.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbs455 View Post
I do not know of one but hubby has had a very very bad case of them for over a month now..It is taking a hugh toll on his life he can't work (flooring installation contractor) let alone maintain our lifestyle...Thank goodness we own our own business as he would not be possible to do any floors at this point of the juncture..
IT affects the whole family for sure..I am going to have to get back down on my knees and install floors til he is able... not a happy camper....
I send prayers to you if you are suffering from this debilitating virus!!! IT IS HORRIFFIC!!
It is. My mom had it. Hope your hubby is on the mend soon........
Thanks for bringing up this topic, as painful as it is for your husband.

I've wondered if any of us could get shingles from being near our adolescent grandchildren who get that vaccination against herpes???

When their skin is broken out with tiny blisters after receiving the vaccine?

Our grand daughter had the vaccine a few years ago and then came to visit us.......she was sitting next to me on the sofa......I asked her what the tiny blisters were on her arms and face, etc...........she didn't know.
She also didn't tell me she just had the vaccine (shot). This was in early October. By the time their visit was over, half of my face broke out in tiny blisters which I pressed.......fluid came out........to make a long story short.........they lasted till Halloween and then dried up. I know I had chickenpox as a child and this "whatever it was" was not painful.......it reminded me of chicken pox but was just on one side of my face.

A mild case of chicken pox.

I wish our daughter had told us about the vaccine..........I really do believe that by my touching our grand daughter's skin, I somehow picked up the fluid from the blisters.....which must have been a reaction to the vaccine........

After the fact, months later, I mentioned it and our daughter just said that since I had already had chicken pox as a kid , I already had the virus inside of me?????????????????? I don't think I had shingles. I think I had chicken pox......weird.....very weird. I put calomine lotion on the pustules and they dried up.

Transmission

Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases, the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles. The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters, not through sneezing, coughing or casual contact.

A person with shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister-phase. A person is not infectious before blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.
Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered.
If you have shingles
  • Keep the rash covered.
  • Do not touch or scratch the rash.
  • Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of varicella zoster virus.
  • Until your rash has developed crusts, avoid contact with
    • pregnant women who have never had chickenpox or the varicella vaccine;
    • premature or low birth weight infants; and
    • immunocompromised persons (such as persons receiving immunosuppressive medications or undergoing chemotherapy, organ transplant recipients, and people with HIV infection).

Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum member

I'm so sorry for his intense pain. I've considered getting the vaccine since I had chicken pox as a kid but have been procrastinating. This post has made me rethink my actions. Thank you and I wish you all the best for his recovery.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb

Babbs, I hope your husband will get relief soon....and all that either suffer now. I've also been putting off the shot.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Veteran member

You can get the shot at Walgreens.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Do NOT put off the getting the shot. I've had recurring shingles since my 20s. I'm pretty lucky -- most of the time it is more of an irritant to me than truly painful. Some bouts, though, can and have brought me to my knees. Sadly, I can't get the shot due to allergies. So, if the option is there for you, get the shot and get it now.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

Interesting thread. Discussed the vaccine with my doctor. His advice was to forego the vaccine as it is only marginally effective in preventing shingles, is very expensive, and promoted heavily. He's a reputable doctor, well-known in The Villages. So I'll be watching this thread to help me decide.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 AM

On the other hand, our doctor encouraged us to get the vaccine. He told us that we might still get shingles, however, it would be a much milder case. If you have ever known anyone that has had shingles then you know how painful they are and how debilitating they can be, for months and months. Get the vaccine
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

One of my good pals, who I golf with and envy her beautiful wainscoting and just love everything about her...

She suffered all summer with shingles. She is not a wimp like me and she said that her pain levels were so high when she got to urgent care that it had made her blood pressure rise so high that at first they suspected a heart attack. She told us that it was worse than labor pain.

Her beloved grandchildren came to visit this summer and she was unable to enjoy them at all.

Please, no matter what it costs, get the shingles shot.

My friend made it very clear to me that this pain is beyond description. AND often does NOT disappear when the rash goes away and can become a chronic condition.

Protect yourself as soon as you can.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.