shingles

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Interesting thread. Discussed the vaccine with my doctor. His advice was to forego the vaccine as it is only marginally effective in preventing shingles, is very expensive, and promoted heavily. He's a reputable doctor, well-known in The Villages. So I'll be watching this thread to help me decide.
Believe me...the expense or cost of the shot will be the last thing you will be concerned about if you ever do get shingles. I would find a way to get the shot
Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Eternal Member

I got the shot last year and will get it this year.
I've had shingles 3 times. 2 times it was mild. The third one was horrible !
I couldn't even get out of bed for a month. The pain lasted for about 6 months. I never want to go through that again.
My Dr. said definitely get the shot.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I got the shot last year and will get it this year.
I've had shingles 3 times. 2 times it was mild. The third one was horrible !
I couldn't even get out of bed for a month. The pain lasted for about 6 months. I never want to go through that again.
My Dr. said definitely get the shot.

Bonny. I was under the impression that the shot immunized you partially at least from shingles for several years. I hadn't heard it needed to be repeated yearly like the flu shot.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bonny. I was under the impression that the shot immunized you partially at least from shingles for several years. I hadn't heard it needed to be repeated yearly like the flu shot.
I wonder if it's different if you've had shingles. I got the shot in 2006 and was under the impression that it's a vaccination that does not have to be repeated.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Gracie..agree with you.... plus I always heard once you had shingles, yes you can get it again but it would be a milder case. The shot itself will not prevent shingles, but if you do get it , supposedly it would be a milder case.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

We need a medical opinion here! My understanding was it prevents shingles in 60% of people, and those it doesn't prevent have a milder case.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 AM

It is a ONE time shot, discuss with your physician.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 AM

I had the shingles for six months - worse case my Doctor ever saw - right leg totally numb for two months - tell your husband to be very careful if his leg(s) are numb - I dislocated my knee because I couldn't walk properly - even now and it's been several years I will sometimes have nerve pain in my right knee - my thoughts are with him.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

EXACTLY DEWRDW! UPDATE hubby has just passed the year mark of his shingle outbreak...his doc said he got it in the worst spot his sciatica..it traveled down his leg to the bottom foot. He now has nerve damage that will last him forever...his leg still goes numb and shooting pain his expression like someone just jabbed an ice pick in my leg. foot..
It's ugly and can last a long long time after the shingles have ran their havoc... best of luck everyone..
Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Yes, you are right I got it last year. I confused it with my flu shot the year before. DUH !
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Gracie..agree with you.... plus I always heard once you had shingles, yes you can get it again but it would be a milder case. The shot itself will not prevent shingles, but if you do get it , supposedly it would be a milder case.
No, that's not true. My first 2 times were mild, just in a small area. My 3rd. time covered my left side from my face to my hip. It was bad.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've had seven major bouts of shingles since my 20s. The first was painful. The second and third were irritants. The fourth had me in tears. The fifth was mild. The sixth and seventh were worse than the fourth. For me, the pain of shingles seems to vary from location of shingles (shoulder no biggie; anywhere on spine or neck and pure agony), my stress level and the humidity.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 PM

My husband had them on his face and they started following the optic nerve when he was in his early thirties. The doctor was very concerned he was going to lose his eye. Fortunately, he did not lose his eye or eye sight, but he was lucky. Shingles are nothing to play around with, if you can, get the vaccine
Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I've had seven major bouts of shingles since my 20s. The first was painful. The second and third were irritants. The fourth had me in tears. The fifth was mild. The sixth and seventh were worse than the fourth. For me, the pain of shingles seems to vary from location of shingles (shoulder no biggie; anywhere on spine or neck and pure agony), my stress level and the humidity.
Redwitch, since you are so suseptible to shingles, would getting the Shingles Prevention Shot help? I ask because I've had shingles twice and my family doctor does not know whether I would be a candidate for a prevention shot.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpierleo View Post
My husband had them on his face and they started following the optic nerve when he was in his early thirties. The doctor was very concerned he was going to lose his eye. Fortunately, he did not lose his eye or eye sight, but he was lucky. Shingles are nothing to play around with, if you can, get the vaccine
I had breakouts all over my face and around the eyes. One of them at the bottom of my eye took off a section of eyelashes when the scab came off. They never grew back.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.