100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Well, I'll explain it again. Some authors, like Dr. Bruce Lipton, say that very few diseases are caused by a single gene. For the many common degenerative diseases, genes need to be triggered by lifestyle. Genes by themselves don't cause degenerative diseases.

I don't know your relatives and only have your word for what they did and didn't do. Are you sure you remember what they did? So why speculate? But I still say that lifestyle is the major factor in determining health and longevity.

Are you sure you remember what I said? I didn't say I didn't know what a KINDLE was. Do you know what you are insinuating? Ordinarilly, it would be considered mean-spirited but it might just be a change in personality. I read that aggression and rudeness can be an early sign of Alzheimer's.

No it's not flawed. It's not weight per say, it's waist measurement. Did you forget? And, in science, it doesn't mean that everyone with a large waist will get Alzheimer's. It just means that they increase their risk of getting Alzheimer's.

Obviously, you've never seen a teeny tiny "skinny minnie" lady of 85 to 95 lbs....top weight 100 in their prime,if that. NO BIG WAIST on a frame of those dimensions. There are variables in everything.

What I am saying is that NOT ALL CASES ARE ALIKE....you cannot lump it all together from your rigid perspective.

It's like saying someone with a big nose is going to get brain cancer.

Mean spirited? I don't think so.

But I do think that people who have a fear of dying just might become so rigid in their search for eternal life on earth that they don't see the forest for the trees.

Personally, it is none of my business if you have or don't have a charge card nor a televsion set or a kindle for that matter. Personal choices.

However, your comments have been very rude, to say the least.
Some of them don't even make sense.....such as reading novels is boring. Lurking near fellow library visitors to see what they are carrying out of the library? Most people read a variety of fields of interest but perhaps some just want an "escape" in a novel. Not all books are great works of art.

We are all on this earth to learn, but it's true that you can attract more people with a little genuine understanding that everyone is different and not as rigid as others.

Yesterday we had a carpenter over who just happens to be Mennonite, originally from Pennsylvania. He had a beautiful truck and trailer for his equipment.......unlike the Amish, they do have cars , however, he told us he does NOT have a television. Very nice 35 year old dad of an 18 month old daughter. He and his wife just flew back and forth 16 hours each way to Hong Kong on their "mission"........did lovely work, as he has done for our neighbors............now, my husband would miss his 60 inch flat screen t.v. as he's really been enjoying the Olympic games.
What's the harm? We also watch a lot of Public Television documentaries plus the few good shows that are still on regular t.v.
Our brains are still just fine.......

When our grandchildren come over, they love to play Wii and do their exercises in front of this giant t.v...........so, different strokes for different folks.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am the least mean spirited person alive; it's just that your posts do provoke people. If you are trying to get a rise out of folks, you should say you are playing "Devil's Advocate" and they would "get it"..........but you come out so bluntly......like insinuating my dad had congenital heart disease back in 1899 at birth because his mother might have done drugs? Wrong era. Unless you pictured her going to an OPIUM den, which they did have back at the turn of the century in N.Y.C. I can always see both sides to every story.
It's called "being flexible" in mind and thought.

PEACE

Last edited by senior citizen; 08-07-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Changed heroin to OPIUM which is what I meant to say
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Sometimes I worry about you.

I have thought about this long and hard Village Pl. You think a LOT about what you eat, you don't have a TV and don't read dime novels, and I am not feeling any smilies coming from your corner. You live here in this wonderful place with so many witty, warm, funny, compassionate folks who are giggling, belly laughing and guffawing and laughing until their pants will never dry.

I just don't feel any laughs from you.

I think I am going to gather the girls posse and we may come over to your house and tickle you.

Puhleeze don't be so serious on here all of the time.

Life IS way too short, no matter what we eat.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Gold member

My feelings about PL exactly , Gracie. No matter what you do , you will not live forever so why not loosen up and enjoy the wonderful world we live in....one ice cream cone on a hot day won't kill you, a telvison set will not shorten your life....I could go on and on but probably just falling on deaf ears.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
No matter what you do , you will not live forever so why not loosen up and enjoy the wonderful world we live in....one ice cream cone on a hot day won't kill you, a telvison set will not shorten your life....I could go on and on but probably just falling on deaf ears.
And reading novels won't make you boring!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

You know this gene thing. Well I found out I have the golf gene but you know what it doesn't work.

You know what my Mom developed Alzheimer's cried like a baby every time I visited her. Yes I was her favorite and she mine. she was a very strong and breathtaking beautiful woman who loved God her husband and children and to witness her decline in such a fashion was excruciatingly painful. I pray the medical community does find the source of the problem and its cure.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
You know this gene thing. Well I found out I have the golf gene but you know what it doesn't work.

You know what my Mom developed Alzheimer's cried like a baby every time I visited her. Yes I was her favorite and she mine. she was a very strong and breathtaking beautiful woman who loved God her husband and children and to witness her decline in such a fashion was excruciatingly painful. I pray the medical community does find the source of the problem and its cure.
I can relate to your post, so much so , that it brings tears to my eyes.
Only someone who has been through it themselves can understand as it's so very difficult to explain...

That's why they call it the "Long Goodbye"........it's hard to stand by and watch the decline, feeling helpless. When my mom lost her ability to speak, it was very difficult......and the only way we could communicate was to spoon feed her coffee ice cream. The Alzheimer Wing had a special kitchen area and the staff would tell all of us visitors to help ourselves to the dixie cups and that we should spoon feed it to our moms and dads, spouses, whatever..........they were like little birds, opening their mouths. We'd also push her out onto the patio in nice weather. This was only the last 16 months of her life. Prior to that she could speak and she could walk.......I'd say she had it for about ten years....
Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I can relate to your post, so much so , that it brings tears to my eyes.
Only someone who has been through it themselves can understand as it's so very difficult to explain...

That's why they call it the "Long Goodbye"........it's hard to stand by and watch the decline, feeling helpless. When my mom lost her ability to speak, it was very difficult......and the only way we could communicate was to spoon feed her coffee ice cream. The Alzheimer Wing had a special kitchen area and the staff would tell all of us visitors to help ourselves to the dixie cups and that we should spoon feed it to our moms and dads, spouses, whatever..........they were like little birds, opening their mouths. We'd also push her out onto the patio in nice weather. This was only the last 16 months of her life. Prior to that she could speak and she could walk.......I'd say she had it for about ten years....
Let's pray for a cure because no one deserves that
Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Obviously, you've never seen a teeny tiny "skinny minnie" lady of 85 to 95 lbs....top weight 100 in their prime,if that. NO BIG WAIST on a frame of those dimensions. There are variables in everything.

What I am saying is that NOT ALL CASES ARE ALIKE....you cannot lump it all together from your rigid perspective.

It's like saying someone with a big nose is going to get brain cancer.

Mean spirited? I don't think so.

But I do think that people who have a fear of dying just might become so rigid in their search for eternal life on earth that they don't see the forest for the trees.

Personally, it is none of my business if you have or don't have a charge card nor a televsion set or a kindle for that matter. Personal choices.

However, your comments have been very rude, to say the least.
Some of them don't even make sense.....such as reading novels is boring. Lurking near fellow library visitors to see what they are carrying out of the library? Most people read a variety of fields of interest but perhaps some just want an "escape" in a novel. Not all books are great works of art.

We are all on this earth to learn, but it's true that you can attract more people with a little genuine understanding that everyone is different and not as rigid as others.

Yesterday we had a carpenter over who just happens to be Mennonite, originally from Pennsylvania. He had a beautiful truck and trailer for his equipment.......unlike the Amish, they do have cars , however, he told us he does NOT have a television. Very nice 35 year old dad of an 18 month old daughter. He and his wife just flew back and forth 16 hours each way to Hong Kong on their "mission"........did lovely work, as he has done for our neighbors............now, my husband would miss his 60 inch flat screen t.v. as he's really been enjoying the Olympic games.
What's the harm? We also watch a lot of Public Television documentaries plus the few good shows that are still on regular t.v.
Our brains are still just fine.......

When our grandchildren come over, they love to play Wii and do their exercises in front of this giant t.v...........so, different strokes for different folks.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am the least mean spirited person alive; it's just that your posts do provoke people. If you are trying to get a rise out of folks, you should say you are playing "Devil's Advocate" and they would "get it"..........but you come out so bluntly......like insinuating my dad had congenital heart disease back in 1899 at birth because his mother might have done drugs? Wrong era. Unless you pictured her going to an OPIUM den, which they did have back at the turn of the century in N.Y.C. I can always see both sides to every story.
It's called "being flexible" in mind and thought.

PEACE
Wow, you are really very good at two things: 1) Misunderstanding what people say (especially about science) and 2) holding a grudge
Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have thought about this long and hard Village Pl. You think a LOT about what you eat, you don't have a TV and don't read dime novels, and I am not feeling any smilies coming from your corner.
I think a lot about what I eat? I don't think I think about it any more than you do. Do you know why? Because after about 7 years of veganism it all comes automatically. What's there to think about?

About TV: I watched enough TV as a youngster to last me a lifetime. Now I just consider it to be a waste of time and money. My favorite show, when I last had a TV, was Seinfeld. I'm a big fan of comedy.

No, I don't read dime novels anymore. The last dime novel I read was Lady Chatterley's Lover. I was a teenager and I heard there was some hot sex in the book.

About smiles coming from my corner: How would you detect a smile over the internet? Do you have "smile detection" on your computer?

Quote:
You live here in this wonderful place with so many witty, warm, funny, compassionate folks who are giggling, belly laughing and guffawing and laughing until their pants will never dry.
Yes, that reminds me: I was in a restaurant with my friend a few months ago and next to us there was a table (two tables put together) full of about 8 or 10 people. They were laughing so loudly, we had to stop talking because we couldn't hear each other.

Quote:
I just don't feel any laughs from you.
Well, I don't usually laugh when I'm on the computer. But somtimes I do. You might not be around when I'm laughing. I'll call you over next time I feel a laugh coming on.

Quote:
I think I am going to gather the girls posse and we may come over to your house and tickle you.
I'm on the phone right now calling Community (tickle) Watch.

Quote:
Puhleeze don't be so serious on here all of the time.

Life IS way too short, no matter what we eat.
Did you detect any laughing in this post? On a scale of 1 to 10, how serious was I? (10 being the most serious)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think a lot about what I eat? I don't think I think about it any more than you do. Do you know why? Because after about 7 years of veganism it all comes automatically. What's there to think about?

About TV: I watched enough TV as a youngster to last me a lifetime. Now I just consider it to be a waste of time and money. My favorite show, when I last had a TV, was Seinfeld. I'm a big fan of comedy.

No, I don't read dime novels anymore. The last dime novel I read was Lady Chatterley's Lover. I was a teenager and I heard there was some hot sex in the book.

About smiles coming from my corner: How would you detect a smile over the internet? Do you have "smile detection" on your computer?

Yes, that reminds me: I was in a restaurant with my friend a few months ago and next to us there was a table (two tables put together) full of about 8 or 10 people. They were laughing so loudly, we had to stop talking because we couldn't hear each other.

Well, I don't usually laugh when I'm on the computer. But somtimes I do. You might not be around when I'm laughing. I'll call you over next time I feel a laugh coming on.

I'm on the phone right now calling Community (tickle) Watch.

Did you detect any laughing in this post? On a scale of 1 to 10, how serious was I? (10 being the most serious)
Well now that you explain it that way, I see that my personality and yours are a bit at odds. Just tryin' to hep. Doesn't look like you need any. Good night and sleep well.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Wow, you are really very good at two things: 1) Misunderstanding what people say (especially about science) and 2) holding a grudge
They may have a Dale Carnegie course at The Villages or in the surrounding area.
By the way, it is not a "novel".

How to Win Friends and Influence People

This is Dale Carnegie's summary of his book, from 1936

Table of Contents

1. Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
  2. Six Ways to Make People Like You
  3. How to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
  4. Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment
Part One
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People

1. Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
  2. Give honest and sincere appreciation.
  3. Arouse in the other person an eager want.

Last edited by senior citizen; 08-10-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: IT IS NOT A NOVEL
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
They may have a Dale Carnegie course at The Villages or in the surrounding area.
By the way, it is not a "novel".

How to Win Friends and Influence People

This is Dale Carnegie's summary of his book, from 1936

Table of Contents

1. Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
  2. Six Ways to Make People Like You
  3. How to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
  4. Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment
Part One
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People

1. Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
  2. Give honest and sincere appreciation.
  3. Arouse in the other person an eager want.
Very good points indeed, and ones that I have always considered valid.
I think my dear Senior, it is time for us to try to stop trying here.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:35 PM

There ia a walk for the cure of Alzheimer's Sept.7th in Ocala at Tuscawilla Park.
Also Dirt-B-Gone is holding a carpet cleaning drive (Clean For The Cure) from now until the end of Sept. where 20% of the cost of your carpet cleaning goes to Alzheimer's research in your name. To setup an appointment call 352-322-0102
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.