any suggestions

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Default any suggestions

hello and thanks:
I enjoy reading stories about different family cultures fiction or non fiction, any suggestions welcomed.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Sage

Lee Smith is an author from a small coal mining town in the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia near my hometown. She is a retired professor of English from North Carolina State University. She has won O'Henry Awards for short stories and has been on the New York Times Best Seller List numerous times. Her narritive form uses the oldtime Appalachian dialect in many of her novels. I loved her earlier work like Black Mountain Breakdown , Fair and Tender Ladies. The Devil's Dream and Oral History are really good too. Ohh, I love all of her work and consider her a friend. She has been referred to as a modern day Faulkner and Carson McCullers.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM

I would suggest Big Stone Gap, if you love it as I expect she has written a few more that are terrific. Then I suggest by Jan Karon a set of books The Mitford Years . They are best read in order and the first of about 15 is At Home in Mitford. I hope you enjoy them. Herb
Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage

I didn't ask the original question, but I wanted to thank you Herb for the suggestion of a new writer I hadn't read. Jan Karon's books will be next on my reading list. Also, Big Stone Gap, Va., is right there in my old neck of the woods.

Did you know Adriana Trigiani plans to make a move based on Big Stone Gap ?

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/l...locally/41871/
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Great reads

Pat Conroy's books usually have rich portrayal of Low country - Carolina families. Fiction based on his life I believe. The Great Santini, Prince of Tides, Beach Music, Soth of Broad...all favorites of mine!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks BK for telling me about the big gap movie. The book is so full of feelings and inner turmoil I wonder how that will translate on the screen.
I'm also from VA, Onancock on the eastern shore. Herb
Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Sage

My father-in-law lives in Tappahannock, Va., across the bay from you and my stepdaughter took her her family from Baltimore, MD, arear to Ocean City this Memorial Day weekend. I have a friend who works at a newspaper in Kilmarnock. I love Chincoteague Island. I am a little familiar with that part of my birth state. Beautiful!!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Pat Conroy's books usually have rich portrayal of Low country - Carolina families. Fiction based on his life I believe. The Great Santini, Prince of Tides, Beach Music, Soth of Broad...all favorites of mine!
I read South of Broad a few weeks ago and totally enjoyed it. I am now reading Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy rocks!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats2010 View Post
I read South of Broad a few weeks ago and totally enjoyed it. I am now reading Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy rocks!!!!!!!
I'm about half way through the book and it is not disappointing. Darn is that guy good.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Gold member

David Baldaci's, Wish You Well was one of his best and unlike rest of his action books.

If you want to read some great stories I highly recommend books by Wilbur Smith. Check out his bibliography at:
http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/nove...liography.html

The Coutney Family books are outstanding action tales set in Africa. Suggest you follow the sequence as characters re-appear in the series.

His River God set in Egypt at time of Pharoahs was also excellent.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.