Anyone read any good books lately? No Country for Old Men.

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Taltarzac
Default Anyone read any good books lately? No Country for Old Men.

Anyone read a book that you would like to see others reading? I just finished reading No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. http://www.metacritic.com/books/auth...untryforoldmen

The title is really ironic for the Villages :joke:.

I want to see the movie No Country for Old Men http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/ too but seeing the movie first and then reading the book often spoils the book; whereas, I rarely find that reading the book first, spoils then going to see the film.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Default Re: Anyone read any good books lately? No Country for Old Men.

I just finished "the Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig. It takes place in the early 1900's in Montana, and is a story told through the eyes of a young boy. It explores the different kinds of education we obtain in life, and its really a great story, hard to put down.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Founder

This may not appeal to everyone, but I am finding it fascinating. "The Reagan Diaries" It is like having the ability to read a persons mind.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Ludlum's The Ambler Alert

Fast pace suspence keeps you wanting to turn the pages
Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 PM

Also, The Reagan Diaries. I love diaries anyway and this was fascinating. A real look into the mind of a man some think of as a great man, and others as a disaster.. Regardless, it was an unusual insight into the man and his administration.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Gold member

Looking for a good read about Ronald Reagan, you may wish to consider:

God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life By Paul Kengor

Some interesting insights about the man and how his actions were shaped by his faith.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Gold member

I am half way through "The Reagan Diaries" It is fascinating, easy to read and a real insight into the man, his leadership qualities and vulnerability. It has changed my understanding of daily presidential duties. Whether you loved or hated the man , the entries are fascinating and sparingly edited.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Anything by W.E.B. Griffin to include his new "Presidential Agent" series. My spouse hates it when I get a new one (or reread an older one), as I tend to ignore everyone/thing until the book is consumed.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Taltarzac

Been reading parts of The War. Hard to read. Trying to read Chapters of this while also watching the DVDs of the same name.

Also reading Telegraph Days by Larry McMurtry. Fun book.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:42 PM

Golfing With God; Roland Merullo. Youth, age, theology, and golf. The student is really the teacher. A romp.

Time and Again; Jack Finney. The extensive descriptions some complain about support the illusion Finney creates. A quixotic time travel novel from the author of The Body Snatchers.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluva
Just started reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. He is such an easy author to read and his stories spark so many emotions.
Is that a new one? :dontknow:
Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluva
I believe it is his latest, not sure, my daughter gave it to me to read.
Congrats, Oshunluva on reaching the Veteran Member level.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I am a voracious reader and complete at a minimum a book a week, sometimes two or three. I usually pick an author and then if I like them, read everything they wrote. Is there a book exchange club here? I got boxes and boxes I would like to trade. My favorite authors are Ken Follett, Wilbur Smith, James Clavell, James Patterson, Lawrence Sanders, Phillip Mongolian, Steve Martini, Nelson Demille, Grisham, Cleve Cussler, and many others. I also like Tolkien, King, and many others. Big savings opportunity for all us avid readers.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 PM

Thank you for starting this subject! I've read everything by Jeffery Deaver (The Bone Collector). He's brilliant & defines the category of "thriller". On the other hand, I've read everything by Maeve Binchy & Mitch Albom . NOW, I'm reading, "Jude The Obscure", by Thomas Hardy. I also love Dickens. I was enthralled by "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, & I plan to read his, "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Ken Follett's new one, "World Without End" is on my "must read" list. His "The Eye of the Needle" scared the bejeebers out of me in print, AND on film. I, too, tend to read a couple of books at the same time.

I hope that more people will contribute to this forum on this subject. I think we have a lot of readers here in The Villages, & some of my most enjoyable reading experiences have come from references.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd
I am a voracious reader and complete at a minimum a book a week, sometimes two or three. I usually pick an author and then if I like them, read everything they wrote. Is there a book exchange club here? I got boxes and boxes I would like to trade. My favorite authors are Ken Follett, Wilbur Smith, James Clavell, James Patterson, Lawrence Sanders, Phillip Mongolian, Steve Martini, Nelson Demille, Grisham, Cleve Cussler, and many others. I also like Tolkien, King, and many others. Big savings opportunity for all us avid readers.
I'd love to trade with you. Unfortunately, we'd have a problem -- we'd be trying to get rid of the same books. I'm surprised, though, that Jonathan Kellerman and Jeffrey Deaver aren't on your list. Their murders are as interesting (and gory) as Patterson's.

Presently reading Michael Crichton's Next, Robin Cook's new one and Grisham's The Innocent Man. All easy reads and just what I'm in the mood for right now -- no concentration needed.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.