Barnes and Noble....Nook

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Gold member
Default Barnes and Noble....Nook

I received the Nook for Christmas and it was already sold out, so I had to wait till late January.
It arrived and I am thrilled. It was easy to set up, downloads books in about 2 minutes, and has several font sizes to choose from. I was able to get it registered and download books without any problems. I sometimes am not very smart at setting up electronic devises ....no problem with the Nook very user friendly. I have just finished reading "The Help", my first e-book and it was a great experience. I have one of the leather covers offered for the Nook and it feels just like holding a book.
Bottom line I would highly recommend the Nook......and that comes from one who loves books and has many bookcases filled with them.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran member
Wink

I got a Kindle and am also very happy. It will download a book in a few min. for $9.00 Four books in Jan. and 2 more ready to go.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady View Post
I received the Nook for Christmas and it was already sold out, so I had to wait till late January.
It arrived and I am thrilled. It was easy to set up, downloads books in about 2 minutes, and has several font sizes to choose from. I was able to get it registered and download books without any problems. I sometimes am not very smart at setting up electronic devises ....no problem with the Nook very user friendly. I have just finished reading "The Help", my first e-book and it was a great experience. I have one of the leather covers offered for the Nook and it feels just like holding a book.
Bottom line I would highly recommend the Nook......and that comes from one who loves books and has many bookcases filled with them.
Hi Beady, good to hear from a user about the Nook! It sounds very similar to Kindle in terms of ease of setup, quick downloads, choicing the font size, feeling like a book in your hand with the leather cover on. Does it also have a built-in dictionary that lets you look up any word on a page?

I ran out of bookcases for more books years ago, and started donating books to our local Friends of the Library. Now I wonder where in the world I would have put the scores of books I've read on Kindle. BTW, I read The Help" (on Kindle, of course) and thought it was terrific!

Happy reading!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM

I've had the Sony for about 6 months and love it, I chose it over the Kindle because you can download library books to the Sony. I believe you are supposed to be able to do the same with the Nook (not Kindle though). However, even with the library and the cheap book deals I still have found that I am paying more for books now than when I was getting hard copies out of the library! The library here has very few ebooks and most are not the new releases. I did start reading some things I had not considered before and found new authors I like though.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Just one quick question------Are newly released books available on the ebooks at the same time the paper books are released in the stores? Or is there a time gap between the store release date and when they're available on the ebooks, as with the audio books.
The convenience and comparatively low cost of ebooks will probably make it the preferred way of reading in the future. Just look at the declining popularity of paper newspapers and news magazines-- I think that more people read them online than in-hand.
I certainly have mixed feelings about all of this-- It would be a shame if we were to lose our great Barnes and Noble Bookstore here in The Villages. I truly enjoy going there to pick out a book, have coffee,etc.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
Just one quick question------Are newly released books available on the ebooks at the same time the paper books are released in the stores? Or is there a time gap between the store release date and when they're available on the ebooks, as with the audio books.
The convenience and comparatively low cost of ebooks will probably make it the preferred way of reading in the future. Just look at the declining popularity of paper newspapers and news magazines-- I think that more people read them online than in-hand.
I certainly have mixed feelings about all of this-- It would be a shame if we were to lose our great Barnes and Noble Bookstore here in The Villages. I truly enjoy going there to pick out a book, have coffee,etc.
Most of my experience has been that they are released along with the hardback versions.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM

And at this time the Nook is just too expensive for many people to justify especially if they get most of their books from the library. I think it will be awhile before they really catch on but it may evenutally be that the B&N book stores go the way of Blockbuster stores.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Platinum member

I have a Nook too, and just love it. Ordered it Jan 1 and it finally arrived Feb 2. I hear they caught up with their orders and are or soon will be available at Barnes and Noble stores.
I couldn't be happier. My first book was Three Cups of Tea which a friend recommended. Great read! I find it so much nicer to read. I can adjust the font. With some books, especially paperpacks, the font is so small Neither the Nook or Kindle have a back light on their e-ink screen. The lack of a back light makes reading much easier on the eyes. The new I Pad DOES have a back light which I hear is harder on the eyes. Some books , depending on author, can be lent out to a friend for 14 days. One can also use the Nook to borrow ebooks from the library. Here is a forum if anyone is interested in more details. The forum helped me get through my wait until Nook arrived.
http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php

BTW, I also bought a book cover and a Borsa Bella Nook travel bag. If I can post a pic, I will.
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 02-09-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Gold member
Talking

I doubt that e-books will be the downfall of Barnes and Noble as a brick and mortar store. There are so many books that would not be a good fit for an e-reader, or tablet or whatever comes along in technology.For example, reading "Where the Wild Things Are" on an e-reader just couldn't match the paper version,and there are so many books that applies to.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Gold member

Avista....where did you get the travel bag.....
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

debbiemc, where did the Blockbuster stores go? gn
Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Platinum member

I got my Nook Travel bag from Borsa Bella. Here is a link for all sorts of Nook items:
http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=909.0

Here is the link for Borsa Bella: (I have the Bleeker book cover from B&N in brown. I wanted a bag to compliment it. Got the Spirograph pattern.
http://www.borsabella.com/e-reader-bags Mine is under travel bags as I wanted a strap. I can wear it over my shoulder or around my waist or remove the strap and put it in a large purse.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Platinum member
Default Nook

I have been reading book after book with my Nook. I've had it about 2 weeks now. These Nook/Kindles are wonderful. I can make the print as large as I want. The e-ink is soo easy on my eyes. In the mood for a new book. Can get it in 15 seconds. I'll never go back to paper books. :-)
Tampa, FL
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Default Nook

Everyone is probably already aware of this, but just in case ...

You can also use your computer (either a Mac or a PC), an iPhone or an iTouch to read electronic versions of books from Barnes & Noble; they have eReader software for the various platforms. I downloaded the reader on my iTouch and my iMac and they both work great.

For portable use, the Nook looks great and is supposedly easier on the eyes, but if you happen to already have an iPhone or iTouch you can use it to take a book along with you!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM

someone just told me that the Nook downloads pictures in books, but that the other ebook devices do not. I haven't checked it out. Anybody know if its true?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.