Barnes and Noble....Nook

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
someone just told me that the Nook downloads pictures in books, but that the other ebook devices do not. I haven't checked it out. Anybody know if its true?
All the eReaders are capable of showing pictures in varying shades of gray (not color).
However, if your reading preferences are comic books or anatomy text books, none of them (Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc) are going to make you happy.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Availability of books

I worked for three months at Amazon (I temp now that Macys closed all it's regional buying offices). A ton of the people there had the Kindle of course and used it to read on the bus, even though proof copies of books (no covers) were available to employees for free. I was told that not all books will be available and that they are hitting some roadblocks obtaining some titles and that some publishing houses are putting a ebook Library block on some of the titles they own. They are afraid that the libraries in large cities and also that of universities that alow their alumni access will in effect mean that they end up giving away the book and will be in breach of contract with some of their authors not to mention lost revenue. Libraries don't make a dent in their business for new releases as people have to wait for a title to become available at their local library. ebooks however can be downloaded from anywhere. The concensus is that access to new titles will be blocked or restricted for Libraries and Universities for the foreseeable future. You will find however more and more available for purchase. Some older titles have disputes as to who owns the rights, ebooks not being addressed in the publishers original contracts with the authors. However that said all book may become available in this format from Russia as they do not recognize copyright law and publish copies of everybodies books without paying any royalties.

Don't know if this is correct it was a lunch room conversation with an ebook buyer.

Trudy
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim32 View Post
Everyone is probably already aware of this, but just in case ...

You can also use your computer (either a Mac or a PC), an iPhone or an iTouch to read electronic versions of books from Barnes & Noble; they have eReader software for the various platforms. I downloaded the reader on my iTouch and my iMac and they both work great.

For portable use, the Nook looks great and is supposedly easier on the eyes, but if you happen to already have an iPhone or iTouch you can use it to take a book along with you!
This is also the case with Kindle. If you are reading a book on Kindle and you have the Kindle software on your iPhone, your location from Kindle to iPhone will sycronize. So say you are reading a book at home on the Kindle. At the doctor's office you can open the book on your iPhone and it will open to the page you left off on Kindle. When you get home, the book will open on Kindle where you left off on your iPhone. (You can bookmark any pages, if you want to go back to a previous location).

Jim32, is this also how it works with the Nook? I would think so.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 PM

I went to Barnes and Noble today to again inquire about buying a Nook. They are now in stock and the staff was very helpful in demonstrating its capabilities. They are truly cool!!
I won't be buying one, however. Reason--- I buy mostly non-fiction new releases. The B&N staffer said that there are many times a delay of one to three weeks between the time that the book is released for sale in the stores and when it becomes available on the Nook. This makes sense, because the publisher naturally wants to sell as many books as possible at the full price before they are available for discounted prices. Just doesn't work for me, however, when I hear about a book that I want being available, I want it as soon as possible.
She also said that the prices of the e-books now range up to $14.99. As a member of the B&Noble Club, which costs $25 per year, I receive a 40% discount on all best sellers. Club members also receive and additional monthly , one item, discount of 15%. Today I bought a $27.95 best seller, that was not yet available on Nook for $12.58 plus tax.

Last edited by dominick; 05-15-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Platinum member

I love my Nook. The best part is I can adjust the print size, which helps my getting older eyes. Just finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (about $5 from Barnes and Noble) Great read!

BTW Barnes and Noble has classes every couple of weeks. You can go to B&N and play with the Nook. I could never go back to dead tree books!

One CAN borrow ebooks for Nook from libraries that use the Overdrive system. Unfortunately, The Villages Library does not have it yet, but I hear they are working on it. My daughter borrows books all the time in another state. When you borrow, you have the book for 3 weeks--then i disappears back to the library.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
I went to Barnes and Noble today to again inquire about buying a Nook. They are now in stock and the staff was very helpful in demonstrating its capabilities. They are truly cool!!
I won't be buying one, however. Reason--- I buy mostly non-fiction new releases. The B&N staffer said that there are many times a delay of one to three weeks between the time that the book is released for sale in the stores and when it becomes available on the Nook. This makes sense, because the publisher naturally wants to sell as many books as possible at the full price before they are available for discounted prices. Just doesn't work for me, however, when I hear about a book that I want being available, I want it as soon as possible.
She also said that the prices of the e-books now range up to $14.99. As a member of the B&Noble Club, which costs $25 per year, I receive a 40% discount on all best sellers. Club members also receive and additional monthly , one item, discount of 15%. Today I bought a $27.95 best seller, that was not yet available on Nook for $12.58 plus tax.
Hi Dominick,
You might want to go to amazon.com, look up the books you are interested in and see if they are available for download on Kindle. Price per book won't exceed $9.99. If the new ones you're interested in are available, you could purchase a Kindle.

In addition to selecting the type size you prefer, the feature I love best is the abilility to look up any word in any Kindle text in the built-in dictionary with just a couple of clicks. It also is wonderful to be able to take your "library" with you when you travel, and to not run out of space for book shelf space at home.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Gold member

I have had my Nook since mid-January......I am very pleased with it overall. I have one of the leather cases that makes reading with the nook very comfortable. I just ordered a nyaprene case for beach and pool reading.
There were a few glitches when they updated the operating system but the support online and by phone is exceptional.
I love the portability and the lending capability......sharing books is very simple. The promised price of $9.99 has changed but that is a publishing problem that will take some time to work through. Free books each week and coupons right now for a book a week for the next 3 weeks. Mostly former best sellers.
I just learned of the classes that the B&N store is now offering...I will attend the next one for sure.
If you are considering an e-reader research each style...then choose the one that suits you. I chose Nook because of the size, and the close proximity of a B&N store, where they have free wireless, and some tech support. I have had a couple of questions that the sales people in the store have been able to answer, with the other e-readers that is not possible.
I am really looking forward to a trip this summer when I can pack my Nook and not have to carry several heavy books for my beach reading.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Dominick,
You might want to go to amazon.com, look up the books you are interested in and see if they are available for download on Kindle. Price per book won't exceed $9.99. If the new ones you're interested in are available, you could purchase a Kindle.

In addition to selecting the type size you prefer, the feature I love best is the abilility to look up any word in any Kindle text in the built-in dictionary with just a couple of clicks. It also is wonderful to be able to take your "library" with you when you travel, and to not run out of space for book shelf space at home.
If you have to have the book the same week it comes out in print you are allot of times out of luck. As I understand it the publishing houses when negotiating the release of a title in ebook fashion set the release date. They quite often want the book to have it's hardcover run or at least part of it before the electronic release. As they more and more use binderys (third party printers) and various contracts with their authors change with the times this may change but as I understand it (and I could be and often am wrong) much of what is done is dictated in advance in book deals with the authors. This is just my impression from chats when I was a temp at Amazon headquaters here in Seattle.
I am really cheap I download audio books from the Library onto my MP3. Our Library also has ebooks that can be downloaded onto a laptop or Ipad but then you are reading on a backlight screen.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Does The Villages library have ebooks?
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Help

I just received my Kindle DX and find it to be quite large. Maybe it takes getting use to. I did see a demonstration of the Nook at B&N and it was smaller and easy to handle. Hopefully I can return it if I find it too unwieldly. Anyone have a DX? Please let me know what you think of the DX as opposed to the smaller version.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady View Post
I have had my Nook since mid-January......I am very pleased with it overall. I have one of the leather cases that makes reading with the nook very comfortable. I just ordered a nyaprene case for beach and pool reading.
There were a few glitches when they updated the operating system but the support online and by phone is exceptional.
I love the portability and the lending capability......sharing books is very simple. The promised price of $9.99 has changed but that is a publishing problem that will take some time to work through. Free books each week and coupons right now for a book a week for the next 3 weeks. Mostly former best sellers.
I just learned of the classes that the B&N store is now offering...I will attend the next one for sure.
If you are considering an e-reader research each style...then choose the one that suits you. I chose Nook because of the size, and the close proximity of a B&N store, where they have free wireless, and some tech support. I have had a couple of questions that the sales people in the store have been able to answer, with the other e-readers that is not possible.
I am really looking forward to a trip this summer when I can pack my Nook and not have to carry several heavy books for my beach reading.
Hi Beady,
You mentioned B&N has free wireless. Does one pay for connection time to buy or download books on Nook? There is no connection charge on the Kindle. I was just wondering.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Platinum member

No fee for 3G or Wireless with Nook. Following the last upgrade can now access the net and email. I'm sure I wouldn't use this much, but might want to check my email occasionally.

I use my Nook for reading. I usually compare prices on B&N and Kobo books. Did you notice, Kobo has an e-reader for $150. It look pretty nice, but must connect to computer to get your books. Here is link to new Kobo e-reader. http://www.borders.com/online/store/...t|kobo+ereader
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 05-26-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add link
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.