Barnes and Nobles

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Sage
Question Barnes and Nobles

When I was in TV I noticed a B & N store. How many of you use it? Do you have readers or read "real" books?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
KittyKat
Smile Like regular books.

I've been there once when my Mom needed to redeem a gift card. Too expensive for me. I use the library. I signed up for Kindle by computer & bought a diet book which was a mistake because with that type of book you need to look at charts & go back & forth between chapters and I didn't like it. I think it would work for a regular story. I just like to hold a book. There's something comforting about it...familiar. I like the smell of the paper and I like turning the pages. I hope parents & grandparents are reading regular books to their children/grandchildren. There's nothing like it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage

I understand that some will enjoy "real" books. But for those who enjoy the Kindle... Try this link on for size.

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for the link, AngieFox! I don't have a Kindle or Nook or whatever YET, but I'm shopping.

And to answer your original question, yes. I do shop at Barnes & Noble. I'm glad we have a bookstore here.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Eternal Member

I read real books and I use the library for my supply. I get a few books from Literary Guild.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Sage

I'm not pushing the e-reader, but at my age my eye (I only have one that works) isn't very good. I like the idea of being able to make the print larger or smaller depending on how tired my eye is. Also, I like being able to hold the book in one hand and change the pages. Once you use one, it's hard to go back.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

I love B&N and the library. I love the feel ,smell and sounds of a book.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Sage
Default For all you non e-reader people...

Thought you might like this.

http://youtu.be/0eIFoz-Tjf8
Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
Thought you might like this.

http://youtu.be/0eIFoz-Tjf8
I did not see anything about recharging the book so I could keep reading it after the battery ran out.

My book is always ready to read even after a long session of reading.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
I love B&N and the library. I love the feel ,smell and sounds of a book.

I often have a paperback in my pocket. Not so easy with a Kindle.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Default Electronic Readers

I have a Nook and love it. I bought it because, unlike a Kindle, you don't have to convert Epub books to another format. You can convert Epub to Mobi, using Calibre, but it is just an extra step. Also I like the easily available replaceable battery and the ability to expand the memory in the Nook. I think that the reading experience is about the same on both the Kindle or Nook. It is going to be great going on vacation with a large selection of books on an electronic reader instead of jamming paperbacks in my suitcase. I also use Ibooks on my Ipad. Of course there are some "paper" books that I have that I will always keep. It is all personal preference.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 AM

I have nothing bad to say about either B&N or Kindle. I have a personal library of approximately 2,000 books so I've been a collector for a lot of years. I never thought I'd convert to an ebook but when a friend showed me her Kindle I was hooked. I still use B&N for specialty books or those I know I'll want to refer to frequently. The Kindle is very convenient and goes anywhere with me. Plus it will hold about 2,500 books (as if I needed that many) so I always have something new to read. Both ebooks and hardbacks have their place and I'm right in the middle of the pack.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post

I often have a paperback in my pocket. Not so easy with a Kindle.
I can carry a pretty good sized library (3500 books) on my Kindle.
Not so easy with paperbacks or hardbacks.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Before moving here we had loads of books but in downsizing needing to get rid of them (a sad time for me) so we donated them knowing others would get enjoyment from them.

This past Spring I got a Kindle and just love it!!! I too would probably rather have a real book but where to store them is a big problem. PLUS now with aging my eyes are changing so with the Kindle you can change the fonts to a larger size. I've been doing a bit of traveling as well and it's so much easier to carry than books. As one other poster said here, you can download many books on the Kindle (or Nook if that's your pleasure) and don't have the weight of all of them to carry---especially if you're traveling.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

I have a Nook and am loving it. What I especially like, is that, unlike the Kindle, I can get free library books on my Nook, from libraries that offer ebooks. As Jenajd said, the ereaders are really great for storing lots of books for traveling, and having the ability to adjust the font. My Nook also has wifi, so I have basic internet service an can check my email, etc., and I have 3G for shopping whenever I want it. It also has Suduko on it, and I've stored a lot of songs on it, so it is really an all-purpose entertainment center for me when I travel.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.