Carl Hiaasen comes to Syracuse, NY

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Taltarzac
Default Librarians come in all shapes, sizes, and personality.

I went to Library School at the University of Denver (DU) where I got a Masters in Librarianship and Information Management. The various students there as well as the professors were all quite different and I could find few of them who fit the librarian stereotype. In fact, we used to make fun of the little old lady sssshhhhing people in the library stereotype. Many of the public librarians I have been are extremely noisy places. The academic libraries can still have the ssshhhhing ladies and gents often wearing glasses with their hair in a bun. But, the men as well as the women might have their hair in a bun.

A good percentage of the librarians at the University of Denver were from Alaska and seemed to fit more with the Sarah Palin mold rather than with the Marian the Librarian one. http://stason.org/TULARC/education-b...ype-start.html

I have though run across a few librarians who very much fit the Marian the Librarian stereotype.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-15-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hey Tal,

I hope Linda and Carl H. do not mind that I keep talking about librarians in their thread. Something tells me though that both of them like librarians, too.

Any really good librarian knows that marketing is a big part of the job, putting the right book, in the right hands, at the right time so that the "customer" wants to come back.

There is also that library thing that says, "When you absolutely, positively have to know, ask a librarian." (They don't know everything, of course, but they know where to find out.)

Anyway, I just have to show you this link. It is a hoot and a half for those of us who know librarians.

And talk about marketing -- this real librarian sure knows what that's about.

http://www.mcphee.com/laf/

A warning to TOTVers about librarians: Never, ever, ever engage a team of librarians in a game of trivia. They will collectively kick the behinds of any opponents. Some librarians can even answer questions about sports. And they might also make you buy them beer rounds. Do not say I did not warn you.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-15-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Morphing not hijacking

You are right, Boomer. I love books, libraries, and especially the Librarian Action Figure. When Nancy Pearl does her recommendations on NPR, I always run for pencil and paper.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda View Post
You are right, Boomer. I love books, libraries, and especially the Librarian Action Figure. When Nancy Pearl does her recommendations on NPR, I always run for pencil and paper.
Linda, I like that term you used. Causing a thread to morph does not give me the guilt trip that a hijacking does. I did not say it ever stopped me, but sometimes I do feel a little guilty. So thanks for the absolution.

Anyway, librarians must be hot all of a sudden. Imagine that. First an action figure and now in first place on the NYT bestseller list.

Have you heard about Dewey, The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron?

I have not read this book. I know nothing about cats. I have never been owned by a cat. (I do know a lot about geriatric dogs who run your life though.) But anyway, I thought I would mention this new book here. It was written by -- you guessed it -- a librarian!

I see quite a few cat pictures here and so I know that several cats post on TOTV, and I thought they might like this book about a cat who is now really famous. It is not a kids' book. It is a book for all ages.

I was driving along in the Boomermobile, the other day, and listening to NPR. (I know people here might think that's all I ever listen to.) But anyway, Diane Rehm, on her show, interviewed the author, on Monday, 11/17.

I did not start a new thread under the title of this book. I am not sure when I will get around to reading it. But I thought I would stick the information in here with the thread that morphed into librarians as a topic. Maybe someone else will see the title and want to read it and let us know more in a thread about the book itself.

Dewey has taken publishing by storm and that librarian is along for the ride.

Boomer
Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Soaring Parsley

Addendum to my post above:

I am listening, even as we speak, to the part of Diane Rehm's show that I missed on Monday when she was interviewing the librarian who wrote Dewey, the Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World.

Wellll, guess what is happening now to that librarian that Dewey the cat made famous and probably even rich.

The movie rights to the book have been sold.

And guess who is playing the librarian.

MERYL STREEP!!!!!

You've come a long way, Marian.

(uh, oh....She just started talking about the sad part.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-19-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: I am on my laptop and I can't type on my laptop.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Veteran member
Default more morphing

I also heard the NPR interview about Dewey. So many good books, so little time! the next author we are having is Ann Patchett. Haven't read her latest but loved Bel Canto.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Taltarzac
Default Article about the Dewey the cat book

http://www.spencerdailyreporter.com/story/1463699.html

And an link about the librarian/writer from the Dewey book. http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/aut...-(1505122).htm

I still need to read Marley and Me.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-20-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.