Enough. True Measures of... ( a new book)

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Enough. True Measures of... ( a new book)

I keep telling my daughter Boomette, and anybody else who will listen, that we are living a piece of history with this financial thing that they will always remember.

Enough. True Measures of Money, Business, and Life

That is the title of a brand new book I got for Christmas from, you guessed it -- Boomette. The book is by John C. Bogle. He’s the Vanguard guy. (Oh, and btw, that period in the title is not a mistake in punctuation. It’s supposed to be a period, not a colon. Sometimes a punctuation mark can say a lot.)

The book is short and to the point. The chapter titles say a lot, in and of themselves.

The first section is called “Money.” The chapters in that section...
“Too Much Cost, Not Enough Value”
“Too Much Speculation, Not Enough Investment
“Too Much Complexity, Not Enough Simplicity”

The next section is “Business.”
“Too Much Counting, Not Enough Trust”
“Too Much Business Conduct, Not Enough Professional Conduct”
“Too Much Salesmanship, Not Enough Stewardship” (btw, that one is my favorite title)
“Too Much Management, Not Enough Leadership”

Next section – “Life”
“Too Much Focus on Things, Not Enough Focus on Commitment”
“Too Much Twenty-First-Century Values, Not Enough Eighteenth-Century Values”
“Too Much Success, Not Enough Character”

And he wraps up with a chapter called…
“What’s Enough For Me? For You? For America?”

I do not normally just flat out list chapter titles when trying to talk about a book. But this list tells you stuff, and maybe could help you decide if you might like to read this book, too. It's a quickie.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-26-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Platinum member

Boomer (and Boomette)....thank you...I just bought this book for several family members!

Suzy Toronto
Old 12-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I keep telling my daughter Boomette, and anybody else who will listen, that we are living a piece of history with this financial thing that they will always remember.

That is the title of a brand new book I got for Christmas from, you guessed it -- Boomette. The book is by John C. Bogle. He’s the Vanguard guy. (Oh, and btw, that period in the title is not a mistake in punctuation. It’s supposed to be a period, not a colon. Sometimes a punctuation mark can say a lot.)

The book is short and to the point. The chapter titles say a lot, in and of themselves.

“Too Much Salesmanship, Not Enough Stewardship” (btw, that one is my favorite title)

Next section – “Life”

I do not normally just flat out list chapter titles when trying to talk about a book. But this list tells you stuff, and maybe could help you decide if you might like to read this book, too. It's a quickie.

Boomer
Boomer. You know I love you and respect you and I will buy this book and read it.

ON another subject. Wondering who and what you are has been one of my favorite indoor sports this last year.

When is the big REVEAL???
Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 AM
rekop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Next section – “Life”

Boomer
Boomer, I've read other books by Mr. Bogle - he's a gem. From the listing of chapter titles, this book looks like a winner. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Last week I started this thread about a book I got for Christmas.

And this morning I am sitting here listening to "Marketplace Money" on NPR. I listen to this show almost every weekend. Sometimes I listen to it while I am reading TOTV. And sometimes, I invite TOTVers to listen, too -- if they are interested.

And the book and the show converged just now when I heard the author interviewed on the radio show. He didn't mention his new book though.

Here's the link to "Marketplace Money" for this week. -- in case you are interested, too.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/e....php?show_id=8

Boomer
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.