The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Judy, those temperatures of yours sound downright balmy. Everything is relative I guess. Tony probably thinks Cincinnati sounds balmy. Or does he think Boomer sounds balmy? (Don't ask.)

And, speaking of Tony, when I saw that picture that he took of his wife on the tractor dealing with all that snow, I said to myself, "I bet while Mr. Tony was standing there taking that picture, he was thinking of Robert Frost's poem Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening."

Boomer
Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
To sleep, perchance to dream, of the 40s, as an English major is wont to say. Not me. An English major.
So you say, Tony. So you say.
But you caught the apostrophes. Only a certain kind of person would notice. tee hee
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida

Last edited by uujudy; 12-12-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: I made a mistake.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Judy, those temperatures of yours sound downright balmy. Everything is relative I guess. Tony probably thinks Cincinnati sounds balmy. Or does he think Boomer sounds balmy? (Don't ask.)

And, speaking of Tony, when I saw that picture that he took of his wife on the tractor dealing with all that snow, I said to myself, "I bet while Mr. Tony was standing there taking that picture, he was thinking of Robert Frost's poem Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening."

Boomer
O.K. Boom.

What poem is this?

" The woods are lovely dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep."
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
O.K. Boom.

What poem is this?

" The woods are lovely dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep."
Gracie, that's it. The one I know that Mr. Tony just had to be thinking about when he took that picture in that other thread. Your lines are from Frost's Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though,
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow

Yep, Gracie, that's the woods you are talking about.

Boomer
Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Sage
Default Helene Hanff

I just found this forum. I hope it isn't too late to post a relavant comment. I was reading your posts and your description of the book reminded me of 84 Charing Cross Road by the late Helene Hanff. I believe there was also a movie based on Hanff's epistolary work. bk
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Smile

This book enlightened me about the struggles of the Guernsey inhabitants during WWII and how lucky we Americans are that we have not had our soil occupied during wartime. I would recommend that if you get a chance to read it. It takes a different format than other books (letter format), but once you get into the story, it doesn't matter. It has a good ending too!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Default thumbs up!

I recently read this book and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I too learned about Guernsey, an area I knew very little about; and felt I was right there as the story unfolded.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Gold member

I also just finished this book - read it on the advice of uujudy (and because I loved the title) - and loved it. Any other recommendations?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Sage
Default another recommendation....

speaking of the epistolary style, one of my favorite books also in this style is
A Woman of Independent Means....it is based on the life of the author's grandmother and tells her whole life story so skillfully through letters starting with a note she wrote in childhood to her future husband...i loved it...the author's name was Catherine Something Something but i cannot remember..read it a long time ago...hope you can find it and enjoy!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum member

Don't you just love this forum!? There's always so much good information.
Thanks to bkcunningham and chachacha I have 2 new books to add to my list!
Ohiogirl & Oatmealgirls, glad you liked it!
This place gets better every day,
Judy

PS: Chachacha, I looked up A woman of Independent Means at Amazon, and their author's name is Elizabeth Forsyth Hailey. Does that sound right to you? (Elizabeth, Catherine... queen's names. I can see how it could be confusing LOL)
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I just found this forum. I hope it isn't too late to post a relavant comment. I was reading your posts and your description of the book reminded me of 84 Charing Cross Road by the late Helene Hanff. I believe there was also a movie based on Hanff's epistolary work. bk
bk, I want to thank you for recommending this book! Our Villages library phoned me to let me know they found a copy and would hold it for me. I picked up the book this morning, and wound up playing hooky today so I could read the book. In the British spirit of the story I made myself a cup of tea in my souvenir Stonehenge mug and spent a wonderful rainy afternoon enjoying 84, Charing Cross Road.

At first it was SO similar to Guernsey... that I thought plagiarism! Intellectual thievery! After I recovered from deja vu, I realized that although they are similar, these are two quite different stories. This book is non-fiction and these are actual letters written to/from Miss Helene Hanff, who begins as a script reader, and progresses over the years to writing scripts for television. There's also a recipe for Yorkshire pudding that I might try someday when I'm feeling courageous. The other bonus is that this book is a 2-in1 volume with The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street, which I will start reading in 3 minutes.

Many thanks for your recommendation,
Judy
PS: I know there must be a way to both quote you and start a new thread with the title of this book, but I'm clueless to some the ways of totv.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Gold member
Default libraries in and around The Villages

We will be moving to our villa this fall. We bought 3-1/2 yrs ago and have been renting it out, visiting mostly spring and fall. We are located about a mile south of LSL. When we bought (early summer, 2006) the new Sumter County branch on 466 (I think) had just opened - wasn't very well stocked with books yet. I have also passed the library off Belvedere, near the gate, but haven't stopped in yet. I think these are different?

I'm a huge library user. Plan to get my library card soon after we move. I have also seen somewhere that there is another branch of the Sumter County library planned for 466A somewhere around Buena Vista Blvd, I think on the south side of 466A.

My question is - which is your favorite library and why?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Sage
Default not to change the subject

don't want to bump ohiogirl's question about the library, which i cannot answer as i have not been to a library here yet, but another favorite series of mine is jan karon's At Home in Mitford and all its wonderful sequels...i started reading them while living in a very small town and they were my salvation...anyone else have any opinions about them? they follow the life of a sixtyish bachelor episcopalian priest and all the sundry characters in his little town. not exciting but such great character studies...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Default The Mitford Series

Oh, ChaCha, the Mitford Series is my very favorite series of all time! I have all the books and would never part with a single one. I started reading them probably about 6 yrs. ago, or so. My first goal for retirement was to re-read them all again, which I have done. I grew so attached to all of the characters! What a pleasant, pleasant experience reading those books. It broke my heart when the series ended. I do hope she will re-consider and write a couple more! So glad you enjoyed them, too!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 AM
Platinum member

On UUjudy"s recommendation I am reading this book. Love it! Love it. Don't want it to end. We are leaving on a cruise and you can be sure it is going with me.

I downloaded it to my Barnes and Noble Nook for a little more than $5.

Thank you UUJudy for a wonderful recommendation!
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.