Hiaasen on golf & TV

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Send a message via AIM to smalldog
Default Re: Hiaasen on golf & TV

The Villages Florida
Smalldog Sez Don't know why but I find myself out of step with this author :dontknow: just cant get into his books : I love James Hall and Randy W White but somehow this Carl Hiaaasen and I don't communicate Guess I'll have to try again because I really wish it wasn't so
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldog
The Villages Florida
Smalldog Sez Don't know why but I find myself out of step with this author :dontknow: just cant get into his books : I love James Hall and Randy W White but somehow this Carl Hiaaasen and I don't communicate Guess I'll have to try again because I really wish it wasn't so
Oh dear. Oh dear.

smalldog? smalldog? Are you OK?

You look so sad. And you say that you can't get into Hiaasen. But I think I might know what happened.

Did you start with "Sick Puppy"? It was not one of his best. I know.

But I bet you did not finish it. That may be what made you so sad. As I recall, things turn out fine for Boodle, the Labrador retriever, who started the book belonging to that vile lobbyist. And then poor Boodle swallowed those glass eyes from those wall trophies that belonged to that big jerk of an owner, Palmer Stoat. A real creep. (I really think that is a job requirement for a lot of lobbyists.) And then Boodle did not feel very well. And I think that might be where you stopped reading. I just want you to know that Boodle is OK now.

But I understand that Hiaasen is not for everybody. "Stormy Weather" remains my favorite, even though Carl and I have been together for a long time. Even Carl can hit and miss. Just like everybody else. But I am glad you like those other authors mentioned in this thread. I need to try them.

Anyway, smalldog. I hope you feel better soon. Boodle is OK. Really.

Boomer

Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Oh dear. Oh dear.

smalldog? smalldog? Are you OK?

You look so sad. And you say that you can't get into Hiaasen. But I think I might know what happened.

Did you start with "Sick Puppy"? It was not one of his best. I know.

But I bet you did not finish it. That may be what made you so sad. As I recall, things turn out fine for Boodle, the Labrador retriever, who started the book belonging to that vile lobbyist. And then poor Boodle swallowed those glass eyes from those wall trophies that belonged to that big jerk of an owner, Palmer Stoat. A real creep. (I really think that is a job requirement for a lot of lobbyists.) And then Boodle did not feel very well. And I think that might be where you stopped reading. I just want you to know that Boodle is OK now.

But I understand that Hiaasen is not for everybody. "Stormy Weather" remains my favorite, even though Carl and I have been together for a long time. Even Carl can hit and miss. Just like everybody else. But I am glad you like those other authors mentioned in this thread. I need to try them.

Anyway, smalldog. I hope you feel better soon. Boodle is OK. Really.

Boomer

Boomer.

WHO WOULDN'T LOVE YOU? You are THE best writer here. I just wish I could meet you in person. sigh

GG

Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Boomer,

I think you need to watch a show call "Numbers". If you liked Judd Hirsch in Taxi, I think you will like him equally as well in this role. Of course, he isn't the lead in this show, so your swooning time will be limited. But they have given him more meaningful airtime in this role lately, and he is the epitome of the sage in this role as well. Enjoy!

SS
Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1
Boomer,

I think you need to watch a show call "Numbers". If you liked Judd Hirsch in Taxi, I think you will like him equally as well in this role. Of course, he isn't the lead in this show, so your swooning time will be limited. But they have given him more meaningful airtime in this role lately, and he is the epitome of the sage in this role as well. Enjoy!

SS
ss,

Thank you. I had no idea he was still out there anywhere. I will definitely check out this show. I am sure we have both changed a little since those "Taxi" days. Now, if only he had Jim Ignatowski with him. I was not madly in love with Iggy, but nobody was funnier.

Boomer
Old 07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Send a message via AIM to smalldog

The Villages Florida
Smalldog Sez when we lived in Sebastian we were quite near the Indian County North library right on 512 there, and made liberal use of it as it was a large modern well funded operation with a vast selection of books as well as other materials for loan (including a perhaps 8 or 10 books by Hiaasen) :
it was in this environment that I reluctantly discovered that his style of prose was of a style that I did not enjoy :dontknow: even though some people do, so since I was reading for my personal pleasure I no longer tried to read that which was not pleasureable to me
and if you knew anything about pugs and me you would know I am a very happy dog but sometimes when I think hard,I squint a little :joke:
Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldog
The Villages Florida
Smalldog Sez when we lived in Sebastian we were quite near the Indian County North library right on 512 there, and made liberal use of it as it was a large modern well funded operation with a vast selection of books as well as other materials for loan (including a perhaps 8 or 10 books by Hiaasen) :
it was in this environment that I reluctantly discovered that his style of prose was of a style that I did not enjoy :dontknow: even though some people do, so since I was reading for my personal pleasure I no longer tried to read that which was not pleasureable to me
and if you knew anything about pugs and me you would know I am a very happy dog but sometimes when I think hard,I squint a little :joke:
Hi smalldog,

I am so glad that you feel fine. I was worried about you when I wrote to you about Hiaasen's Sick Puppy. I thought surely you were feeling bad about Boodle's problems early in the book.

I could tell that you like to read though. And isn't it wonderful that we all don't like the same authors.

btw, about pugs being happy -- How well I know. We have some good friends who have two pugs. Those pugs always give us the most exuberant welcome when we visit. And if for any reason, we go outside during the visit, maybe to retrieve something from the car or whatever, we get the happy welcomes all over again. And I always laugh out loud. And I am thankful that they are not the size of a Great Dane. Their owners tell us, "You have been pugged!" If a pug cannot make someone laugh, nothing can.

Boomer

Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default while I should be doing something useful with my life...

This morning I found myself looking back through the Book Forum here, and I came across this one about Carl Hiaasen.

As I confessed at the beginning of this thread long ago, I shamelessly love Carl Hiaasen. I started this thread last spring when CH had just published a new book. Well, I got all excited the other day when I heard that now Carl has another new book. So away I went to the bookstore. (I buy this guy in hardback.)

But alas, when I got there I found out that Hiaasen's newest book Scat is a kids' book. He wrote Hoot and Flush for kids.

So anyway, I bought a copy of Scat. But I am starting to think that if Carl cannot crank out those books for grownups a little more often, I am going to have to get me a Florida author on the side. And when I saw this thread this morning, I remembered that there were some other author recs in it. And sure enough, there are.

My offspring, Boomette, is also a Hiaasen fan. (She did listen to me about a few things.) But she, too, is having some issues because she is out of Carl Hiaasen books.

But there might be hope. No. Nothing coming soon for us from Carl that we have heard about anyway. But Boomette may have found a guy to fill in. She is reading Orange Crush by Tim Dorsey.

And she gave Tim Dorsey the best compliment she could. She said his humor is close to CH's. She said that she found herself laughing out loud. Funny books about Florida. What's not to love?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-05-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default well, this is embarrassing....

I had looked through this whole thread at other people's posts this morning, looking for book recs.

And then I posted about Tim Dorsey, just now.

And then, for some reason, I looked at my own old posts in the thread.

And there at the bottom of one of them I found myself telling you how Boomette had recommended Tim Dorsey to me. A while back. And I did not listen. Turnabout is fair play so they say. But now, I will listen and read Tim Dorsey.

So anyway, this is embarrassing. And I bet you can tell that I am putting off getting tax stuff ready for my accountant, Eeyore. Can't wait to see Eeyore. Last year at this time he was really gloom and doom.

Oh well, enough confessions for one morning.

Boomer the Redundant

Last edited by Boomer; 03-05-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I had looked through this whole thread at other people's posts this morning, looking for book recs. Boomer the Redundant
Hiaasen, Hall, Dorsey, White are all writers of the S Florida mystery genre.
But the original, the master, the man who started the whole thing is John D. MacDonald. Sadly, he left us in 1986.
I would recommend the James W Hall books.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Kuyaker, you hit the nail on the head with MacDonald. His McGee series is still the best ever, bar none, and I still go back and read one occasionally. I've probably read them each of them at least three times over the years. I started reading him in high school in the mid-60's - He lived not far from me in Piseco Lake, NY. I had an opportunity to go to a rare MacDonald book signing in Piseco once, but since I was busy with a young family, I decided not to go. He died about six months later. I realized then that when he died, so did Travis McGee, which still can bring a tear to my eye if I dwell on it. I should have made the one hour drive. Anyway, enough of that, I've found Hiassen and White to be great too. Carl is one of the few writers who can make me laugh out loud. My only problem is I don't know the correct pronunciation of his last name! I'm not familiar with Hall or Dorsey, but I'll be stopping in the library later this week and see what I can find . . . .
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Kuyaker, you hit the nail on the head with MacDonald. His McGee series is still the best ever, bar none, and I still go back and read one occasionally. I've probably read them each of them at least three times over the years. I started reading him in high school in the mid-60's - He lived not far from me in Piseco Lake, NY. I had an opportunity to go to a rare MacDonald book signing in Piseco once, but since I was busy with a young family, I decided not to go. He died about six months later. I realized then that when he died, so did Travis McGee, which still can bring a tear to my eye if I dwell on it. I should have made the one hour drive. Anyway, enough of that, I've found Hiassen and White to be great too. Carl is one of the few writers who can make me laugh out loud. My only problem is I don't know the correct pronunciation of his last name! I'm not familiar with Hall or Dorsey, but I'll be stopping in the library later this week and see what I can find . . . .

I know what you mean about his last name. I say it, with a long i, Hi-Uh-Sen, with the accent on the first syllable. (Not completely sure that's right, but mostly sure.) When I write one of my Odes to Carl, I always have to check the spelling of Hiaasen. I want to give it a double s instead of a double a.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-05-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Thanks Boomer - the phonetic you provided is what I say in my mind when I see his name. I've always been reluctant to say it out loud in fear of someone laughing at me!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Thanks Boomer - the phonetic you provided is what I say in my mind when I see his name. I've always been reluctant to say it out loud in fear of someone laughing at me!
Ahhhh, just tell 'em Boomer's got your back.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have also read all his books so will have to get this one. I usually wait for paper back. If you like his wise cracking detective type books, try Nelson Demille also. His are set on Long Island vs Florida, but same character type. Demille is more broad in his literary scope, but also good reads. Try Plum Island as a starting point.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.