Hiaasen on golf & TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I decided to ditch the story about me that I put in here last night in an attempt to defend English majors. It was late. And the story made me look way too much like an English major. I must try hard not to look like an English major around here. I must try to look like someone else, anyone else, but not an English major. Of course, now I look like Sybil.

Last edited by Boomer; 04-06-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Well i am sitting her in my office looking for something to read, I came upon 2 books I bought & read a looong time ago. The author is S.V.Date. I am so sorry Boomer, he too is Florida and funny The 2 I have are, Deep Water & Smokeout. Try them you will love 'em as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Soaring Parsley

This thread is fun. All these books!

I may have to get my act together and get myself out of Ohio and on down the road about a thousand miles or so to TV so that I can start a Florida authors book club. Just think of the good times we would have. Only those who share that wicked sense of humor would show up. And we would certainly have to adjourn quickly in order to go for refreshments. Or maybe someday we could just all pile into the car and take a road trip farther south and crash Carl Hiaasen's office at the Miami Herald. Do you think he would have us arrested?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-07-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Carl Hiaasen's office at the Miami Herald. Do you think he would have us arrested?

Even better, we could turn up en mass at his house boat down in the keys??
Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default Tim Dorsey and I were not a match

This is an old thread. I know. But I picked it back up to, first of all, whine around a little because the only thing Carl Hiaasen has written for adults in a really long time was the golf book I talked about here. And that one was fun, but not fiction and not my favorite. After that he wrote one for kids. But when in the heck is he going to give us another one of his books about Florida, a book full of those weird and funny characters like Skink, and also those bad guys who get what they deserve? It has been way too long since Hiaasen has published a real Hiaasen.

I thought I was going to be able to bide my time with Tim Dorsey, as a replacement, while I waited for Carl to find his muse again. But Dorsey is just not for me. Although, at first, I thought I would like him, I ended up not even giving him much of a chance. I don't know how to explain why, and I should not try because I did not read too far with Dorsey. Maybe it was because he just was not Carl. (sigh) They have been compared. But Dorsey's touch is different. To me it seemed like not so much a touch, but a sledgehammer maybe with Dorsey. I know people who really like him though. I might have to give him another try sometime.

But for now, I am thinking about picking up on Randy Wayne White. (Hey, it's fun to try saying his name a bunch of times, really fast.)

Randy Wayne White has been mentioned in this thread. And I know he is really popular. I think he lives in Florida now and used to own a fishing boat and was a guide before he was a writer. And is there a bar somewhere around Sanibel maybe that is connected to him? -- I don't know, but I heard something somewhere that made me think that.

So I am thinking about giving Randy Wayne White a chance as my Florida author while I pine away waiting for Carl Hiaasen to write a new book.

I hope it works out that I can kill a little time with Randy Wayne White and that I think he is funny and that he does not do gruesome descriptions of the crimes. I do not like to read gruesome stuff. Yeah, I know. Carl Hiaasen puts people into woodchippers and suitcases, but they are always bad guys and the descriptions are not gruesome. I sure wish Hiaasen would get his act together and write another book like Stormy Weather.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-26-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: bc Sanibel has just one 'n'
Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Sage

Hey Boomer.... I had never heard of Carl H before this thread (being a relatively new Floridian). I picked up 2 of his old tomes at a yard sale (gotta love those 25c paperbacks) and have read Skinny Dip with Nature Girl in the wings. It was enjoyable, wise guy, fun reading. Thanks for the recommendation.

Randy Wayne White.... had also been recommended to me about a year ago. I picked up one of his books at the library, and, quite frankly, struggled to get through it... just couldn't get into the characters or pace. Seemed a much different flavor than Carl H. We'll see what you think.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.