Interesting shot at Andrew Blechman's Leisureville.

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Taltarzac
Default Interesting shot at Andrew Blechman's Leisureville.

http://oneminutebookreviews.wordpres...ille%E2%80%99/
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Platinum member

Amazon's reviews make interesting reading.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Leisureville-Adventures-Americas-Retirement-Utopias/product-reviews/B001LNOOJS/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1& sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending[/ame]
Suffering from TV envy
Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Great reading, the review is at least and a "Gotcha" to Andrew who needs a few of those. He has made a moderate amount of money on this book I would guess. I bought one.

I wonder if Mr. Midnight uses the antiquated term, "brassiere?" lol.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-18-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Gotta love Janice Harayda.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

I received Leisureville in the mail today. Plan on starting it tonite.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post
Don't let all the "sex" scare you off!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post
Have you started the book? I haven't read it yet and would be interested in your thoughts so far.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I read the book some time ago and enjoyed it. I found parts of it informative, parts entertaining, and parts that needed to be taken with a grain of salt. I did not get the impression that the author was totally unbiased. All in all, I would recommend it for reading if, for no other reason, so you can discuss it intelligently with others who have read it.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

We give this guy too much publicity.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Sage
Default Just started the book myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
Have you started the book? I haven't read it yet and would be interested in your thoughts so far.
I just received the book from Amazon.com and began reading it, inbetween playing with the grandchildren this past weekend. Personally, I think he's being pretty fair.........although I take most of the things he's written with a grain of salt. He's coming from a totally different perspective living in a town which Norman Rockwell inhabited in New England, probably Stockbridge Massachusetts or Arlington Vermont. He really doesn't say. To us a village is quite different.

Apparently, he'd never been to Florida before, nor is he quite ready for retirement, having a newborn child. It is an interesting read though.
He's also admitting to being a sloppy home landscaper, etc. In other words, perfection of domain is not that important to him.

I just got a kick out of the part where only dogs under 30 lbs are allowed??? This is the section on the covenant. I assume that is to keep the noise level down from barking dogs? Not sure why dogs have to be weighed in??

We , ourselves, have not had any pets since all the kids left for college eons ago, got married, etc. However, from experience, not all HUGE DOGS ARE NOISY.........and quite a few tiny dogs are annoying.

Across from us we have two which my husband calls "Yip and Yap" as they begin every night at 9 p.m. and it's like an ECHO. Very tiny breed of pooches who weigh considerably under 30 lbs.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the book so far.....just a few chapters into it and I think he's doing a "fair" expose so far........a lot of the rules and regulations seem fair to us and to protect one's investment.......other seem a bit bizarre...........do the lamplights on each property really go on and off at the same time, synchronized to when a car backs out????? I guess it depends where one is coming from. A small town living experience is quite different from a big city frame of reference.

I actually bought the hard cover edition for myself to read and the soft cover edition for hubby to read........the paper back copy says "Leisureville" Adventures in a World Without Children. We just had such a whirlwind weekend with the 2 little ones ages 4 and 7 plus a 15 year old and our own adult children.........but I hope they didn't see that title. Wasn't planning on the books arriving when they did.

Happy, energetic, fun loving children are a joy to behold.......but tiring.
So, I can understand why some would enjoy the adult lifestyle with more quiet. Other people who are bonded at the hip to the younger generations would balk at the "visiting limitations." We love having them but are glad to have our peace and quiet back. They are bundles of loving energy. Need I say more. Anyway, it is a good read and hard to put down......just haven't had any time to read.

Oh, the part about not being allowed to change the oil in your car in your driveway? Hubby has his oil changed at the dealership, but what about lawn mowers, etc.........or does everyone use a landscaping service? We have a fellow who mows here as we are quite hilly..........but just wondering about guys who do like to "putter" in their garages or do their own maintenance on lawn equipment.....or cars???? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I just received the book from Amazon.com and began reading it, inbetween playing with the grandchildren this past weekend. Personally, I think he's being pretty fair.........although I take most of the things he's written with a grain of salt. He's coming from a totally different perspective living in a town which Norman Rockwell inhabited in New England, probably Stockbridge Massachusetts or Arlington Vermont. He really doesn't say. To us a village is quite different.

Apparently, he'd never been to Florida before, nor is he quite ready for retirement, having a newborn child. It is an interesting read though.
He's also admitting to being a sloppy home landscaper, etc. In other words, perfection of domain is not that important to him.

I just got a kick out of the part where only dogs under 30 lbs are allowed??? This is the section on the covenant. I assume that is to keep the noise level down from barking dogs? Not sure why dogs have to be weighed in??

We , ourselves, have not had any pets since all the kids left for college eons ago, got married, etc. However, from experience, not all HUGE DOGS ARE NOISY.........and quite a few tiny dogs are annoying.

Across from us we have two which my husband calls "Yip and Yap" as they begin every night at 9 p.m. and it's like an ECHO. Very tiny breed of pooches who weigh considerably under 30 lbs.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the book so far.....just a few chapters into it and I think he's doing a "fair" expose so far........a lot of the rules and regulations seem fair to us and to protect one's investment.......other seem a bit bizarre...........do the lamplights on each property really go on and off at the same time, synchronized to when a car backs out????? I guess it depends where one is coming from. A small town living experience is quite different from a big city frame of reference.

I actually bought the hard cover edition for myself to read and the soft cover edition for hubby to read........the paper back copy says "Leisureville" Adventures in a World Without Children. We just had such a whirlwind weekend with the 2 little ones ages 4 and 7 plus a 15 year old and our own adult children.........but I hope they didn't see that title. Wasn't planning on the books arriving when they did.

Happy, energetic, fun loving children are a joy to behold.......but tiring.
So, I can understand why some would enjoy the adult lifestyle with more quiet. Other people who are bonded at the hip to the younger generations would balk at the "visiting limitations." We love having them but are glad to have our peace and quiet back. They are bundles of loving energy. Need I say more. Anyway, it is a good read and hard to put down......just haven't had any time to read.

Oh, the part about not being allowed to change the oil in your car in your driveway? Hubby has his oil changed at the dealership, but what about lawn mowers, etc.........or does everyone use a landscaping service? We have a fellow who mows here as we are quite hilly..........but just wondering about guys who do like to "putter" in their garages or do their own maintenance on lawn equipment.....or cars???? Thanks.
Missed the part about oil on the driveway. I do know that you could do surgery in most garages here. I was pretty fixated on the "good" part. I wonder who in the heck Mr. Midnight really is.....................lol.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
................... I was pretty fixated on the "good" part. I wonder who in the heck Mr. Midnight really is.....................lol.
Gracie, Gracie, Gracie,

Fixated on the "good" part. Oh my!

So I was just wondering if you used that helpful little hint I gave once here on TOTV. The hint that not only saves money, but saves time, too. I will kindly share the helpful hint again, just in case it was missed by somebody who needs it.

1. Go to the library and check out the book with the reputed "good" part.

2. It is of top importance to be sure to choose a copy that has been checked out quite a few times, otherwise this will not work.

3. Balance the book on its spine, in the palm of your hand, page edges up.

4. The book should fall right open to the "good" part.

5. And remember that your public library is the best deal in town.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-29-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Sage
Default It is not TV that has a 30 lb. limit on dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Missed the part about oil on the driveway. I do know that you could do surgery in most garages here. I was pretty fixated on the "good" part. I wonder who in the heck Mr. Midnight really is.....................lol.
Have not reached that part yet.........but I guess I am still suffering from lack of sleep after the grandchildren's visit.........I just picked up the book where I left off.........and it is NOT , I repeat NOT TV that says dogs must be weighed in at 30 lbs. or less. One minute he is writing about the TV covenant and the next he said:

"For instance, one woman in California was repeatedly forced to weigh in her overweight poodle because it hovered in around the community's thirty pound weight limit for dogs. (same line he continues.....) The Villages covenant requires the removal of weeds and the edging of lawns, which must be at least 50 % sod, etc., etc., etc...........the keeping of more than two pets (are prohibited) " etc. etc. etc. about things prohibted in TV (page 56).

So, NO there is no 30 lb. weight limit on dogs in TV. He was talking about California. My memory failed me.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
OMG I am so sorry that I haven't been back to this thread to answer your question. Right now I am almost finished with the book. I have been reading it when I go to bed and sometimes I only read a few pages and doze-off....so it have been reading it for awhile.
My impression of the author....he does not like "age restriction" communities and does not hide his feelings about his attitude. I have enjoyed a few chapters and feel like I know more about the community.
The bottom line...it is a decent read...but I think it could have been done alot better. IMHO
Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I think this book is a poor way to "get to know the community". You can learn more right here on TOTV. Or go to the many sites that are referenced here.
It is unfortunate that things people read in this book, they automaticly assume "that is the way it is".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.