Interesting shot at Andrew Blechman's Leisureville.

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Sage
Default Open mind.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think this book is a poor way to "get to know the community". You can learn more right here on TOTV. Or go to the many sites that are referenced here.
It is unfortunate that things people read in this book, they automaticly assume "that is the way it is".
I have an open mind.........and although I've just begun the book, I can tell he is somewhat biased about age restricted communities and the lack of children. He's not our age or at our stage in life. People grow and change with each decade of their lives. I wouldn't think most intelligent people would base any decision based on this guy's book. He also says a lot of positive things. It depends what stage of one's life they are in at the moment of reading it. Will see once I finish reading it. It's not a big book but had a lot of more important things to do when it arrived.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default You just never know where you might find your muse.

I just figured the writer had his eye on those nice retirees across the street as potential free babysitters for his little darlins' and so he was really hacked off when he found out they were moving. And the next thing you know, he had a book out of it.

Boomer
Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Gold member

We've visited TV several times and have formed our opinions of it.

I'll read the book with an open mind and maybe learn some things and probably won't agree with everything in it, but that's the way most things are. Should be interesting though.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Sage
Default New Town of Ave Maria Florida mentioned in book Leisureville

In the book Leisureville, the author mentions a new town called Ave Maria, Florida (which was developed with the personal funds of Thomas Monaghan, founder of Domino's Pizza and former owner of the Detroit Tigers sports team).

I just googled it and the country's first Roman Catholic university in four decades plus the new town "Ave Maria, Florida" opened July 21, 2007. This new town square now includes one of our country's largest Catholic churches.

The town and a golf course was built on an additional 5,000 acres in a venture with land developer, the Barron Collier Companies.

This new town will promote "traditional family values" and although Catholic centered will open to people of all faiths..............but town stores may be restricted in what items they may or may not sell.........such as contraceptives, adult magazines. Monaghan says the stores are asked not to sell these items..........however, they are not prohibited.

Ave Maria College in Ypsilanti, Michigan was the seed for this new University. Monaghan had founded that college in 1998 prior to moving to Florida.

This new town is near Naples Florida on the Gulf Coast. Has anyone been there?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.