Jane Smiley's Last Hundred Years Trilogy

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Jane Smiley's Last Hundred Years Trilogy

Rainy day yesterday so I was hanging out at B&N. There I saw Golden Age, the third volume of Jane Smiley's Last Hundred Years trilogy. It looked interesting so I looked up the first two volumes -- Some Luck and Early Warning.

It is a multi-generational saga about an Iowa farm family. The 3 books follow the family from 1920 to the present. I like books that weave fiction with history, and with this one, I personally will remember the last half of the history in the story. -- Well........truthfully.......I will remember more than half.

So anyway, I have been reading some reviews and I am thinking about buying the first volume and was wondering if anybody here has read these books.

(I also looked at City on Fire by Garth Hallberg. That one is a first novel that is getting a lot of attention. It is about NYC in the 1970s. But I shamefully confess that I was put off by the 944 pages in that one book.)

But Jane Smiley's trilogy is looking kind of good to me. Will see.......

-- Hey, it's raining again........

Last edited by Boomer; 10-28-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
jane, looked, smileys, trilogy, half, remember, books, family, history, hundred, years, volume, rainy, fire, garth, hallberg, city, wondering, buying, thinking, read, lot, nyc, good, kind

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.