Kindle

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2023, 03:04 PM

PS: You check out on your computer at home and the ebook goes right to your Kindle.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 04-08-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I am low vision and am unable to read like I used tdo do. I am thinking about Kindle, but need to know how much you can enlarge the text. Can someone help me with this please.
Most places that sell them have demo ones to try out. Seems like Barnes and Noble used to have a kiosk with them. Try Best Buy. Maybe there's a Kindle Club in TV.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsachs View Post
Most places that sell them have demo ones to try out. Seems like Barnes and Noble used to have a kiosk with them. Try Best Buy. Maybe there's a Kindle Club in TV.
Barnes and Noble sells the Nook, which is a different format from the Kindle. I think that Nook books can only be purchased through Barnes and Noble. In my opinion, the Kindle is a much better choice than the Nook.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Get a large iPad and get the kindle app. So much nicer, you can read all kindle books plus run millions of iPad apps, email, web browsing, etc..
Old 04-08-2023, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Get a large iPad and get the kindle app. So much nicer, you can read all kindle books plus run millions of iPad apps, email, web browsing, etc..
Thank you for this additional suggestion. I actually was talking with a Librarian yesterday and she suggested the same thing.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you for this additional suggestion. I actually was talking with a Librarian yesterday and she suggested the same thing.
I have a 14-inch Android tablet that I use all the time for web browsing, banking, and other functions. But, I much prefer to use a smaller Kindle E-reader when reading a book.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:18 AM
Default Kindle

I have Kindle unlimited and only pay more for e-books if something from a favorite author is not available for free

Quote:
Thank you for your immediate reply. Thankfully I do not yet need to get to three words on a line, so lI am sure I can adjust to my needs.

Can I have another question??? Where do people get their reading materials. Books, newspapers, podcasts etc. What would be the best source of infiormation.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Can I get a Lake County Library card even if I live in Sumter? It would be great if I could but I assumed I could not.

Thanks for the info on being able to use the newer ereaders in the dark.
How to get a Library Card if you do not live in Lake County
The Lake County Library System has Reciprocal Borrowing Agreements with Marion, Seminole and Volusia Counties. Cardholders in good standing are entitled to free Lake County Cards upon presentation of a valid Library Card from their county and proof of residency. Students at Lake Tech, Lake Sumter State College, University of Central Florida and Beacon College who show a school ID or current class schedule are entitled to a 1 year complimentary card.

The Lake County Library System offers a Library Card to individuals who neither reside nor own real property in Lake County. Non-residents must complete a Lake County Library System Registration Form and can only apply for a card in person. Non-residents must still bring proof of residency (see below) containing their current street address from outside Lake County.

A non-resident may purchase an annual library membership by paying a fee of forty dollars ($40.00). We also offer a six-month card for twenty dollars ($20.00) and a one-month card for ten dollars ($10.00). Fees must be paid at the time of registration for the card to become valid.

Part-time residents are eligible for adult and youth resident library cards, but they must show proof of both Florida and permanent addresses.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Just be sure the glare from the iPad screen is acceptable to you...

Many of the e-readers have a non-glare screen that looks much more like actual paper...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-08-2023, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HospitalCoder View Post
How to get a Library Card if you do not live in Lake County
The Lake County Library System has Reciprocal Borrowing Agreements with Marion, Seminole and Volusia Counties. Cardholders in good standing are entitled to free Lake County Cards upon presentation of a valid Library Card from their county and proof of residency. Students at Lake Tech, Lake Sumter State College, University of Central Florida and Beacon College who show a school ID or current class schedule are entitled to a 1 year complimentary card.

The Lake County Library System offers a Library Card to individuals who neither reside nor own real property in Lake County. Non-residents must complete a Lake County Library System Registration Form and can only apply for a card in person. Non-residents must still bring proof of residency (see below) containing their current street address from outside Lake County.

A non-resident may purchase an annual library membership by paying a fee of forty dollars ($40.00). We also offer a six-month card for twenty dollars ($20.00) and a one-month card for ten dollars ($10.00). Fees must be paid at the time of registration for the card to become valid.

Part-time residents are eligible for adult and youth resident library cards, but they must show proof of both Florida and permanent addresses.
Lake County residents can get a free Sumter County card. So, why can't Sumter County residents get a free Lake County card?
Old 04-08-2023, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Sure...you can use virtually any type of device to read books. You can download the free Kindle app to a phone, tablet, PC, or whatever. But, if you are looking for something to simply read books, the Kindle Paperwhite is very hard to beat.

The Paperwhite has an adjustable backlit screen, so it is very easy to read in low light or dark conditions. The screen is excellent out in sunlight as well, with no glare or reflection. Fonts can be adjusted for both size, and type of font. The battery lasts for weeks, even with daily use. Books are widely available on Amazon, and at many libraries. It is super portable, and fits in a pocket...great for travel.

In short, the Paperwhite is the gold standard for e-readers. Try it...you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:16 AM
Default Definitely the Paperwhite

Quote:
I am low vision and am unable to read like I used tdo do. I am thinking about Kindle, but need to know how much you can enlarge the text. Can someone help me with this please.
I have a Kindle Paperwhite, water resistant, and I absolutely LOVE it. This is my 5th or 6th in close to 20 years. I love being able to take my books anywhere and always having access to something to do that fits in my purse. Definitely worth the cost, but for readability, stick with the purpose… the fire is a tablet that you can read on, but has horrible glare issues. The Paperwhite is just an ereader that provides the best reading experience. Love, love, love!
Old 04-08-2023, 07:21 AM
Default Don't Agonize, Amazon Takes Returns

Quote:
Don't spend a lot of time worrying whether a Kindle will work for you. Amazon takes all returns and provides free shipping. If it doesn't work for you, send it back.

I'm glad that our libraries provide a means to download ebooks. However, I'm somewhat old-fashioned and buy mine from Amazon. They can be shared with other members of your household, although two people cannot read them at the same time, just as with print books. It may not make sense, but I feel there is a difference between a lending library making print books available as opposed to letting people download an author's work with a few keystrokes on a computer, with the authors receiving no payment. Libraries will buy a limited number of print books and people often have to wait their turn to borrow one as well as having to go to the trouble to pick up the book. With ebooks, thousands of copies can be downloaded within minutes and their authors receive nothing.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post
Don't spend a lot of time worrying whether a Kindle will work for you. Amazon takes all returns and provides free shipping. If it doesn't work for you, send it back.

I'm glad that our libraries provide a means to download ebooks. However, I'm somewhat old-fashioned and buy mine from Amazon. They can be shared with other members of your household, although two people cannot read them at the same time, just as with print books. It may not make sense, but I feel there is a difference between a lending library making print books available as opposed to letting people download an author's work with a few keystrokes on a computer, with the authors receiving no payment. Libraries will buy a limited number of print books and people often have to wait their turn to borrow one as well as having to go to the trouble to pick up the book. With ebooks, thousands of copies can be downloaded within minutes and their authors receive nothing.
As I understand it, the library buys a limited number of ebooks, and limits the number of ebooks that are available for lending. I think the authors do receive money based on the number of ebooks sold. Check out the waiting lists for ebooks on the library websites.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post

It sounds like you haven't ever borrowed an ebook from a library. What you describe is pirating and theft - libraries don't participate in that. There are not "thousands of copies" being downloaded within minutes. The library loans out a fixed number of licenses to read ebooks, just like they loan out a fixed number of paper books. When I want to borrow an ebook I often have to wait in line for a copy to become available.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle, text, enlarge, thinking, tdo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.