Kindle

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would recommend a Kindle Ereader, not a Kindle Fire. The largest font size is 14 which has about 3 words per line on a 6-inch screen. I have the Kindle Oasis, which is a bit pricey, but it has the highest resolution. I think the most popular model is the Paperwhite.
My husband and I have been Paperwhite readers for years. Point size goes up to 14. Paperwhite would be better as you don’t get the eye strain nor blue light that you do from a regular Kindle or a tablet.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:14 AM

There are 4 different Kindle types being offered with the Oasis being the high side. Kindle offers a range in font size from 1 to 14, so you simply choose the one that work best for you.

I am an IT professional and help people set up these types of devices (as well as "cutting the cord.")

Please feel free to reach out if you need any assistance.

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2023, 08:15 AM
Default Kindle info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I am low vision and am unable to read like I used tdo do. I am thinking about Kindle, but need to know how much you can enlarge the text. Can someone help me with this please.
Yes, I did this for my mom as her vision deteriorated. Our takeaways:

- fonts can be adjusted on e-readers (both different fonts/typefaces depending on what looks clearer to you and size of font). The paperwhite was great for glare-reduction, as Mom spent a lot of time outdoors in her garden reading. Which models have the best range of font sizes (and backlighting, which can make quite a difference too) would take some research - my info there is out of date.

- sources of books vary. Mom didn't want a monthly bill, so we did not set up any paid services but Amazon has a list of free books you can download. The source Mom used most was public libraries - the best for her was the State Library of Ohio (Mom was a resident). The library card was free for state residents, you could get it online, and once you had the card number you could log into the site and download books (and magazines). One note on downloading books from public libraries - not all library systems have the same books - it's like cable packages, the library system has to pay to use the system, and not all libraries are well funded enough to afford an extensive shelf of viewable books. That made the State Library of Ohio a great choice - compared to the local library systems she had access to, it was like the unlimited cable package compared to basic cable. We got her library card to all the ones she was eligible to, but the larger the system the better her choices were.

It is definitely worth getting an e-reader - and remember, you can also download e-books to a notepad or tablet, there are apps that can handle that which would give you a larger screen size so you have more space for those larger fonts!
Old 04-08-2023, 09:12 AM
Default size of font on kindle

Quote:
I am low vision and am unable to read like I used tdo do. I am thinking about Kindle, but need to know how much you can enlarge the text. Can someone help me with this please.
You do not need to buy an actual Kindle of any kind. Just download the app, it is free, and read on any one of your devices, phone, laptop, tablet. Simple. I read constantly on my iPad mini, I recommend any book you buy (usually Amazon) be configured for continuous scrolling. The page will scroll down as you read with the touch of a finger, you do not have to "turn" a page.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:48 AM

I have an older Kindle. It has a feature that reads the text aloud It is a bit robotic (in voice) My daughter has dyslexia so it helped her a lot
Old 04-08-2023, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Just be sure the glare from the iPad screen is acceptable to you...

Many of the e-readers have a non-glare screen that looks much more like actual paper...
You do know you can get an anti-glare screen protector for the iPad for a few bucks. I’m saving hundreds of $$$ per year subscribing to magazines and books on the iPad. I have the 12.9” iPad Pro where you get 1 page per screen or you can use the iPad sideways and get 2 pages side by side. You also can multitask having sid by side screens: for example mail on the left and your book on the right.
Most of my magazines have beautiful pictures and the iPad shows them at their best.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:35 PM

I have vision challenges too. I increase the font but also have to watch the glare. I have a paper white, but mostly use the iPad with a kindle app. I like the bigger screen and can pump the font size quite large. Just tap the screen, choose font, and move the sizing slider. The bigger the screen, the more I like Kindle reading, as long and I can choose the size and type of font. No more barely there, ink conserving letters for me. If you get a reader that adjusts light and color, eye fatigue may be less. The Oasis did this, but the newer Paperwhite may too. Also, the charge lasts for weeks. Amazing.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:09 PM
Default Kindle books

Quote:
I had a Kindle and a Nook. When they stopped working I decided to get an iPad mini. It is very easy to use and I have the Kindle and Nook app on it. I found the Kindle harder to use than Nook but the iPad mini is perfect. It’s also a little bigger screen.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:22 PM
Default Books

If you join free BookBub or any other 'clubs' for Kindle you can make choices of your types of books [ mystery, cooking] and get daily messages with inexpensive / free options.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:47 PM
Default Large Kindle Reading

I use my iPad to read my kindle books. I can enlarge to whatever size I want.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:44 PM

I also have a low vision diagnosis. I have joined 3 libraries and use Axis 360 and Libby. I use my iPads for reading and now…audiobooks. My vision is to the point I enjoy audiobooks more. I joined audible…but that was costing about $15 a book.
With having low vision due to macular degeneration , this year I qualified for The Library of Congress program for the visually impaired. It is great. Any book Ive wanted has been immediately available. There is a BARD app that I use on my iPad. You can check out large print books or audiobooks. Talk to the Sumter County Librarian about it. There is a form that you have signed by your doctor, then it takes about three weeks to get established with the program.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:57 PM

I have to, once again, send thanks to everyone for their input. This information will help me and probably others who have this terrible loss of sight.

So grateful to you all.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:10 PM

Local libraries can make digital book available for download or you can purchase from Amazon or get a Kindle unlimited subscription
Old 04-09-2023, 04:41 AM
Default Font/background color

I find it's easier to read white font on black background, rather than black font on white background. Not sure why that is the case.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshepherd View Post
I find it's easier to read white font on black background, rather than black font on white background. Not sure why that is the case.
..... and I cannot read white on black, am actually better with black on light beige. It seems to affect us all diferently.
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle, text, enlarge, thinking, tdo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.