Kindle or Nook?

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default Kindle or Nook?

Which do you prefer?

Anyone familiar with the latest models?

What are the features you like or dislike on which one you have?

I am finally biting the bullet and purchasing one or the other.

Thank you in advance for taking your time to assist me!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM

If you want a tablet to surf the net and run a lot of apps, purchase a Kindle. If you want primarily to read books, Buy a Nook.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

We went with Nooks...for one simple reason...you can walk into any Barnes and Noble..if you have any problems....or even if you have a question. They know EVERYTHING...we also had ours stop working within 6 months. Walked in, they transferred everything and gave us a brand new Nook. Also, told us about some thinks we had questions on...you know those, "I wonder" questions...So, my reason is purely having a human to help. We just purchased another one for ourselves and bought one for my mom for Christmas. Good luck and have fun with what every you buy.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

We use our Nook for internet and had no problem running Netflex..great sound and picture. I have to admit, we don't do App's but we love the internet on it for regular use, including videos and youtube-ish items.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

I have both the Nook and the Kindle Fire. I got the Nook first because of available technical help from Barnes and Noble. My son gave me a Kindle Fire for Christmas two years ago. I much prefer the Kindle. The major advantage is the ease of downloads and the massive availability of material, especially free books. The Amazon system of management is superior to that of Barnes and Noble. I also like the feel of the Kindle and the ease of use of the Kindle Fire.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Platinum member

For reading, the Kindle Paper White is best (for me). And I'm loving my Christmas Fire HDX, Amazon Prime is a must.
I wouldn't count on B&N or the Nook to survive much longer.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Had the Nook when they first came out and loved it. Used it mostly for reading and found they had cheaper books than Amazon at the time. Now I have the Kindle and Nook Apps. on my IPad and use that for everything Also lots of good books free and or cheap on BookBub.com
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM

The two newest Nooks are the Nook HD (7") and the Nook HD+ (9"). You can surf the net with either AND both come with Google Play. At Google Play you can download Kindle for Android (free!). Thus you can purchase books from either BnN or Amazon.

Adding Google Play to the Nooks also gives you access to lots of apps, many of which are free. I have several word and "brain" games on it. After reading the thread here on TOTV, I added Candy Crush Saga to see what all the fuss was about. I select games to play against the computer so I don't have to be connected (handy when you're in a waiting room, travelling, etc.).

The Nook HD was $138.03 with tax.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 PM

For just plain reading a book, I think any ol' Kindle is the way to go. The battery lasts around 4 - 6 weeks. Nice and small (pocket book size, but thinner). I have a Kindle Touch for sale ($35) if interested. You can't play games, surf the web or read email on a Kindle (non Fire). But you can read books. Even free ones from the libary. No way would I ever want to read books on a Ipad (had one) or any other tablet (had several!)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
For just plain reading a book, I think any ol' Kindle is the way to go. The battery lasts around 4 - 6 weeks. Nice and small (pocket book size, but thinner). I have a Kindle Touch for sale ($35) if interested. You can't play games, surf the web or read email on a Kindle (non Fire). But you can read books. Even free ones from the libary. No way would I ever want to read books on a Ipad (had one) or any other tablet (had several!)
Everyone has there preference, I loved my Nook for the size and an top of the line android tablet and now an IPad and for all around use I prefer the IPad guess I like the larger screen. If I wanted something pocket size I would just read on my phone like my hubby does LOL but then he doesn't carry a purse
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 PM

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I get all my books free or at low cost ($.99, $1.99, etc.) by subscribing to a web site called eReaderIQ.com, which sends me a culled list of bargain books available from Amazon. I get notified each day, based on my interests. You can pick from dozens of subjects (romance, mystery, thrillers, self-help, etc.). I like seeing ratings and reviews before I shell out for a book. I have at least 100 books on my Kindle, and I download several new ones each week. I also have a tablet that I can read on, but I refuse to spend full price to buy books I'll only read once. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine04578 View Post
I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I get all my books free or at low cost ($.99, $1.99, etc.) by subscribing to a web site called eReaderIQ.com, which sends me a culled list of bargain books available from Amazon. I get notified each day, based on my interests. You can pick from dozens of subjects (romance, mystery, thrillers, self-help, etc.). I like seeing ratings and reviews before I shell out for a book. I have at least 100 books on my Kindle, and I download several new ones each week. I also have a tablet that I can read on, but I refuse to spend full price to buy books I'll only read once. Good luck in your search.
Try BookBub.com also Many Free and cheap good books.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM

For straight out reading books Kindle can't be beat. But if you also want to surf the net and play games than go with the bigger tablets.

I also picked Kindle because of their book selection. If that's important to you make sure you compare libraries. God luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
The two newest Nooks are the Nook HD (7") and the Nook HD+ (9"). You can surf the net with either AND both come with Google Play. At Google Play you can download Kindle for Android (free!). Thus you can purchase books from either BnN or Amazon.

Adding Google Play to the Nooks also gives you access to lots of apps, many of which are free. I have several word and "brain" games on it. After reading the thread here on TOTV, I added Candy Crush Saga to see what all the fuss was about. I select games to play against the computer so I don't have to be connected (handy when you're in a waiting room, travelling, etc.).

The Nook HD was $138.03 with tax.
I could not agree with this post more!!! And may I add that I save movies to the sd card for watching when we travel between homes! GooglePlay is the best!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Smile Kindle or nook

You would be much better off buying an iPad mini.you can download books from amazon and b&n and you would have thousands of apps to download for free which b&n and amazon charge for. You cannot download from amazon to a nook, or b&n to kindle.

I have owned both kindle and nook and android and prefer the IPad for reading and surfing the net. If you are only interested in reading books, then it is a toss up between kindle and nook as long as they are not color.

Crustybaker
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.