Kindle or Nook?

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
For reading, the Kindle Paper White is best (for me). And I'm loving my Christmas Fire HDX, Amazon Prime is a must.
I wouldn't count on B&N or the Nook to survive much longer.
I agree with you. Our daughter's brother in law had the Nook and when he saw our Kindles many years ago, he became a "convert".

Hubby gave me the newest Kindle Paper White for Christmas, although we both have the original Kindles, plus the Kindle Fires......as well as assorted I-Pads, the mini and the larger size.

WE both love reading on our Kindles.....and have for years and years now.
Amazon's system can't be beat. (We both love amazon for shopping too.)

Amazon has great customer service should a problem pop up, which it hasn't......but when I upgraded to the newest and wanted to give my older Kindle Fire to my 12 year old grandson, they walked me through the transfer which was super easy.....then we mailed it to him. We had "gifted" all of our adult kids and oldest granddaughter with Kindles one Christmas, but this grandson was still younger and I knew the parents preferred, at the time, for him to read a good old fashioned book, but now that he's in middle school, the Kindle comes in handy. They are all given computers in schools these days........even our 4th grader 9 year old granddaughter........plus all the grandkids read on Kindle Fires now.

We always had bookcases and bookshelves all over our homes, but they are long gone now........and the Kindle is the way to go. LOVE THEM.

p.s. My husband just mentioned that he can also read books on his I-Phone with his Kindle app.............

For two old grandparents, we are right up there with the newest technology and have been for a long time.

We both read voraciously since we got our Kindles; lightweight and comfortable.......no matter where one travels.

In the past (olden days) I used to bring huge tote bags filled with BOOKS onto airplanes (to read on our vacations).....now, it's just one of my Kindles in my purse. Lighter way to go....for sure.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Sage

Has anyone tried using "jelly" from Jelly Industries. It's an app where you can ask a question and get an answer. It was in the Daily Sun,(Monday edition). I believe you can use facebook and twitter with this app.

Easier to download from the Jelly Industry web site.

I recently bought a Kindle and I still haven't used it yet so....... I don't have an opinion on what device is better, than the other. I still working on dragging myself into the 21st century.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,771 Posts

Thank you to all who have contributed so far. You have been very helpful and pointed out things to consider I had not though of prior to reading your comments.

An easy on the eyes high definition screen where I can adjust the text size and control brightness are important to me. Are Nook and Kindle comparable this way?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I have both the Nook and the Kindle Fire. I got the Nook first because of available technical help from Barnes and Noble. My son gave me a Kindle Fire for Christmas two years ago. I much prefer the Kindle. The major advantage is the ease of downloads and the massive availability of material, especially free books. The Amazon system of management is superior to that of Barnes and Noble. I also like the feel of the Kindle and the ease of use of the Kindle Fire.
Not to mention that you will soon not be able to walk into a Barnes and Noble store at all.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Not to mention that you will soon not be able to walk into a Barnes and Noble store at all.
That is indeed a concern. Walk in book stores may go the way of the village blacksmith.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Sage

Sometime ago my husband bought a Nook Glowlight so he could read at night when without awakening me. He used to wear an LED on a headband to read a book, kind of like a miner's light. Needless to say, the Glowlight is so much less cumbersome. It's easy on the eyes and feels good in the hand.

I bought an IPad Mini. As well as being a tablet, it has lots of book resources from Apple and Amazon. There is an even a Nook App so we can share books.

However, I find that the IPad is harder on the eyes and heavier to hold in bed, so I'll probably get a Nook Glowlight or a Kindle Paperwhite for that purpose.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Thank you to all who have contributed so far. You have been very helpful and pointed out things to consider I had not though of prior to reading your comments.

An easy on the eyes high definition screen where I can adjust the text size and control brightness are important to me. Are Nook and Kindle comparable this way?
I can't say if they're comparable since I only have Nook experience. I have the Nook HD+ and it is a very sharp screen. I particularly like the large size screen (9") as I find the 7" screens just too small to even handle comfortably in my hands, let alone the reading issue. Yes, you can adjust both the text size and brightness on the Nook. While other posts on TOTV will tell you where to get free e-books, know too that B&N has lots of free books as well. I've also started getting my magazine subscriptions on the Nook, to cut down on paper. B&N has been having specials of late, where you can get two subscriptions for the price of one. You can not create your own combination, they only offer specific combos (i.e., Consumer Reports and Shop Smart).
Old 01-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Sage

Quote:

Unlike tablets, Kindle Paperwhite 3G is designed to deliver the best reading experience
Free 3G wireless—no monthly fees or annual contracts
No screen glare in bright sunlight
Read with one hand—over 30% lighter than iPad mini
Battery lasts weeks, not hours
Next-gen built-in light—read without eyestrain

What's new (THIS IS THE LATEST KINDLE; OTHERS ARE AVAILABLE NOW; BROWSE THEIR SITE)
Higher contrast, faster processor, next-gen light...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-3G-Ereader/dp/B00BTI6HBS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text"]http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-3G-Ereader/dp/B00BTI6HBS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text[/ame]

Kindle Paperwhite 3G Touch E-Reader *

PLEASE CLICK HYPERLINK ABOVE FOR MORE INFO or AMAZON LOGO LITTLE BOX which shows up rather than hyperlink.

This Kindle and the original older Kindle are both lightweight; Kindle Fire is heavier.
It's a pleasure to read on the lighter weight Kindles......if you simply want to READ....without all the bells and whistles.

Happy Reading.........and for what it's worth, I used to LOVE browsing in bookstores. Bookstores were my very favorite "haunt".......however, once you've tried the Kindle, you are hooked.

We have a Kindle on every level of our "tri level" home, in most rooms......but even if you only have ONE, they are so lightweight and easy to carry, hold and gentle on the eyes, for sure.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-16-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: duplicate post deleted
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Sage

Well, I have looked at the Nook and the iPad mini. Now I need to get to a store where I can compare the Kindle and Nook side by side.

Thank you Senior for listing the features of the Kindle Paperwhite 3G. It may be what best suits my needs. I plan to find one and examine it.

Than you all for listing where I can obtain free ebooks, too.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Well, I have looked at the Nook and the iPad mini. Now I need to get to a store where I can compare the Kindle and Nook side by side.

Thank you Senior for listing the features of the Kindle Paperwhite 3G. It may be what best suits my needs. I plan to find one and examine it.

Than you all for listing where I can obtain free ebooks, too.

http://www.staples.com/kindle paperwhite/directory_kindle paperwhite

Not sure if you have a Staples office products store in your vicinity but you could do a store lookup. See link above.

We have one here in our town, however, all of ours were ordered via Amazon.com with no problems at all.

They've even shipped them as gifts for us........to our kids, who had been reading on their tablets/I-pads, etc. They all love the Kindle. Actually, our son in law who was a diehard book lover now only reads on the Kindle Fire and loves it........

Good luck....

Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Sage

Thanks for your comprehensive comments on the features of various Kindles as well as the Staples referral, Senior. I just returned from a local Staples store where I looked at their Kindles.

I have decided to go with a Kindle but I need to determine whether I should go with the paperwhite or a Fire HDX.

I use my iphone for email but I would like to be able to download books wherever I am without requiring wifi. Will the paperwhite do that?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM

The following is a youtube video comparing the Paperwhite and the Hdx:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFiNlv0KcE]Kindle Fire HDX vs Kindle Paperwhite 2 Reading Comparison - YouTube[/ame]
Old 01-22-2014, 04:09 PM

The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is one sweet tablet. It is fast and light. It comes highly recommended by my "techie" friends in an Android group that I belong to. I agree with the previous post that said they believe the Nook probably won't be around much longer.

Last edited by elizabeth52; 01-22-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Better phrasing
Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
The following is a youtube video comparing the Paperwhite and the Hdx:

Kindle Fire HDX vs Kindle Paperwhite 2 Reading Comparison - YouTube
Thank you Juneroses. The Kindle Fire HDX certainly has many features.

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-24-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.