Nooks, Kindles, other e-readers

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Yes, I'm a die-hard book lover (you know the old-fashioned books printed on paper?), yet I am reading almost everything now on my Nook and love it.

With Nook, I get Library books for free, and also anyone can get free books from Google Books online.

Right Now I'm reading :

Freedom by Franzen, and
The Art of Racing in The Rain by Stein.
What did you think of Freedom? I have it on my Nook too and so far haven't been able to get into it.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
What did you think of Freedom? I have it on my Nook too and so far haven't been able to get into it.
Didn't care for Freedom. Never finished it. I just read The Imperfectionists, and I loved it.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Here are my favorites of the last few months:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand; The Confession by John Grisham; Worth Dying For by Lee Child; The Help by Kathryn Stockett; The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy; Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes; The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy; Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Default My New Nook

Just bought a refurbished Nook online from B&N for $99. I usually buy my laptops refurbished (by manufacturer) and have always had luck, hope the same is true with the Nook. I'm so excited, I already signed up for the Philadelphia Free Library while waiting the delivery of my Nook.

Some good books to read that I've enjoyed:

American Rose: A Nation Laid Bare: the Life & Times of Gypsy Rose Lee (bio and fascinating reading!)

Death by Black Hole (non-fiction)

Red Wolf by Liza Marklund (a Swedish author like Stieg...) mystery

I want my Nook now! lol

Donna
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

A bit off the track of "good" books. I don't have a reader yet but am seriously considering a Kindle. I don't know a whole lot about them except the 2 most popular ones are priced differently---$139 and $189. What other differences are there in these. I've been a prolific reader until about the last year when my eyesight seemed to take a change and it's harder for me to read w/o alot of strain. I'm thinking with a Kindle I can adjust the letter-size to be more comfortable. I was thinking of ordering thru Amazon but if there are other good outlets for that...I'd consider that too.

Can anyone offer some tips?? You can either respond here or email me privately!! Thanks a bunch ahead of time!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Default love my kindle

because it's small enough to fit in my bag, light so it's easy on my hands, not back-lit so it's easy on my eyes. the $139 model is great - i'll browse @Amazon.com on my laptop for my reads, purchase and seconds later (no, really, seconds!!) the book is on my kindle and i'm ready to read. the differences between this model and the more expensive $189 is not enough for me to warrant paying the extra - if i'm going on a trip and may need several books, i just purchase several books, i don't need internet access while traveling, if you do then get the more expensive one. either way, you'll love it!!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

I'm so NOT a techy...can you explain "internet access" for the Kindle while traveling (or whenever else)?? Thanks!!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 PM

I guess what I meant to say is the $189 kindle has built-in wi-fi - allowing you to download books wherever you are, as opposed to being able to download from home only w/the $139 version....if you have wireless in your home, you can just download your reads at home. the one w/the built-in wi-fi allows you to be able to download them when you're away from your home. hope this helps, i'm not very techy either.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I guess what I meant to say is the $189 kindle has built-in wi-fi - allowing you to download books wherever you are, as opposed to being able to download from home only w/the $139 version....if you have wireless in your home, you can just download your reads at home. the one w/the built-in wi-fi allows you to be able to download them when you're away from your home. hope this helps, i'm not very techy either.
Oh...thanks that helps a bit!!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Sorry it took me so long to respond to you Avista, but I just finished reading Freedom last week.

I liked it. It grabs you and you think about the characters quite a bit in between reads. It helps you see how family members share similarities in character and actions, even spanning generations.

The main character, Patty, still needed work to completely flesh her out. I could tell the book was written by a man. The problem being that Patty is not a man. The way she was written reminded me of a female Woody Allen.

Before this year, I was reading nothing but classics (and a cookbook or how-to book here and there). But because I enjoyed Freedom so much, I will probably read Franzen's The Corrections, which was written several years ago.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

My wife just bought a nook and raves about it. She says it's much easier on her eyes than reading from a book and she uses it to go on line via wifi.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
the $139 kindle operates on the sprint network. so wherever there is a sprint signal 'think cell phone' you will be able to shop and download books and newspapers and magazines.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Sorry it took me so long to respond to you Avista, but I just finished reading Freedom last week.

I liked it. It grabs you and you think about the characters quite a bit in between reads. It helps you see how family members share similarities in character and actions, even spanning generations.

The main character, Patty, still needed work to completely flesh her out. I could tell the book was written by a man. The problem being that Patty is not a man. The way she was written reminded me of a female Woody Allen.

Before this year, I was reading nothing but classics (and a cookbook or how-to book here and there). But because I enjoyed Freedom so much, I will probably read Franzen's The Corrections, which was written several years ago.
Thanks, maybe I should give it another try. Since my Nook was runover (I think) by a car, I have been doing all my reading on my i Pad. I didn't think I would like the back light, but have found it is adjustable. I keep the light low, and use sepia as a background color. This keeps the glare down and it's kind of nice not needing a light over my shoulder. We still have a Nook in the house as my husband has one. Since we share an account, our books are on both his Nook and my Nook AP on my iPad.
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.