playaway books are fun

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Cool playaway books are fun

I am hooked on books in the playaway format from the Library. I see that the Sumter library has them as well. Instead of listening to music when I take a walk or I am cleaning or painting I listen to these audio books on an Ipod like device. The book is all loaded on the device and it is so small it can fit in a pocket no problem. You need to have extra AA batteries on hand just in case they didn't replace them when it came back from the last person but other than that it is a great free ride. I will miss the free Library ebook downloads to my nook when I come to the villages but at least you have playaway.

Didn't see them in the Lake or Marion county library sites however.

Last edited by TrudyM; 07-01-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Taltarzac
Default The Lake County Library has some of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I am hooked on books in the playaway format from the Library. I see that the Sumter library has them as well. Instead of listening to music when I take a walk or I am cleaning or painting I listen to these audio books on an Ipod like device. The book is all loaded on the device and it is so small it can fit in a pocket no problem. You need to have extra AA batteries on hand just in case they didn't replace them when it came back from the last person but other than that it is a great free ride. I will miss the free Library ebook downloads to my nook when I come to the villages but at least you have playaway.

Didn't see them in the Lake or Marion county library sites however.

I checked out one of these playaway format books-- Stephen King's Under the Dome-- from the Lake County Library a few months ago. One thing I don't like about them is that you really cannot listen to one while your driving like you can do with CD and taped books. It looks like the Lake County Library System has at least a few score of these playaways.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-01-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
I checked out one of these playaway format books-- Stephen King's Under the Dome-- from the Lake County Library a few months ago. One thing I don't like about them is that you really cannot listen to one while your driving like you can do with CD and taped books. It looks like the Lake County Library System has at least a few score of these playaways.
I'm not familiar with the Playaway devices, but if it has a headphone jack and your car has an MP3 or aux. jack, you should be able to plug it in that way. You can get just about any type of adapter to make it fit from Radio Shack. If your car doesh't have the jacks, but does have a cassette player, you can get an adapter that plugs into the cassette player.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Taltarzac
Default Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Playaway devices, but if it has a headphone jack and your car has an MP3 or aux. jack, you should be able to plug it in that way. You can get just about any type of adapter to make it fit from Radio Shack. If your car doesh't have the jacks, but does have a cassette player, you can get an adapter that plugs into the cassette player.

You are right. Thanks.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-01-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Acctually the Robert Ludlum I am listening to now had an earphone to cassette addaptor in the box, most however do not. My car has a CD player and most books available in this format are also on CD. The newer cars have an MP3 jack. But what I like them for is taking walks or working in the yard as they are not affected by movemnet and are so small. I am also taking some with me to Hawaii on VAC to listen to while sitting under a tree at the beach. Our library also has audiobooks for download by chapter through the internet to your MP3 player but I haven't tried that yet, and didn't see that service at your TV libraries but maybee I missed it.

Last edited by TrudyM; 07-01-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add info
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.