Price of e-books

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

I think some price consideration should be given by ebook retailers for the volume of books they probably would had not have sold were it not for online sales and it's got to cost them a lot less to produce an ebook vs. a conventional book. They can still pay the authors per unit volume.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Try this site. I get an email everyday with free or cheap books. My Kindle runneth over!!

BookBub: Free and Bargain Kindle Books, Nook Books, and more

Z
You can't get information unless you give them your email address? Why do they need your email address?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage
Question

I don't know very much about this. Where would one buy a kindle and how much does one cost? Do you pay a monthly online fee? If so, how much does that cost? How much do you pay to read a book? If you read one chapter and decide you don't like it, do you still pay the full price? If you happen to be mostly interested in science, can you limit it to that one subject? And how would you know if they will have the books you're interested in?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
You may want to say "Thanks" (or something) to Apple for their price fixing collusion with some publishers. They are currently in court for their efforts.
It looks like you are correct. The judge just ruled that Apple conspired to fix prices on ebooks. The punishment portion of the trial is to follow.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

Villages PL. You can buy a kindle at Amazon.com. Make sure you get one that has wifi. I have one that has an etch a sketch like screen that l like a lot because it is good in any type of light situation. I also bought a leather cover for it that has a built in led light that I love to use at night when reading in bed. I bought my parents one that is fancier with a color screen etc. but I think the screen is too reflective to read comfortably and I like mine better. There are all different types of kindles and prices. Once you have the kindle, you can download ebooks from amazon. If your kindle has wifi you can download them directly to your kindle. You can also download ebooks from your library. There are millions of books available. I frequently go to amazon and look at the top 100 free ebooks and download one for free that I think would be interesting. They are usually fun to read and it is a great way to try out different authors. When I first got the kindle(it was a present from my daughter)I didn't think I would like it because I liked the feel of a real book or paperback but I have quickly got over that. What I really like the most about it is I can take my kindle on trips and I usually have over 60 books on it that I haven't read so I can pick any type of reading I would like and I don't have to fill my suitcase full of books. Another good thing is if you find an author you like, it is easy to look at Amazon and find all the books he or she has written and if you have a wifi connection you can download another of their books in about a minute. Hope that helps.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I always have to chuckle when folks say they will never get a kindle or a nook because they like the feel of a real book. I think that people used to say that they would never read a book because they like the feel of a real scroll. It is so much more comfortable to hold a kindle than it is to hold a big, heavy book. I have a kindle app on my iPad, but still prefer reading on my kindle because it is so light and easy to hold.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Villages PL. You can buy a kindle at Amazon.com. Make sure you get one that has wifi. I have one that has an etch a sketch like screen that l like a lot because it is good in any type of light situation. I also bought a leather cover for it that has a built in led light that I love to use at night when reading in bed. I bought my parents one that is fancier with a color screen etc. but I think the screen is too reflective to read comfortably and I like mine better. There are all different types of kindles and prices. Once you have the kindle, you can download ebooks from amazon. If your kindle has wifi you can download them directly to your kindle. You can also download ebooks from your library. There are millions of books available. I frequently go to amazon and look at the top 100 free ebooks and download one for free that I think would be interesting. They are usually fun to read and it is a great way to try out different authors. When I first got the kindle(it was a present from my daughter)I didn't think I would like it because I liked the feel of a real book or paperback but I have quickly got over that. What I really like the most about it is I can take my kindle on trips and I usually have over 60 books on it that I haven't read so I can pick any type of reading I would like and I don't have to fill my suitcase full of books. Another good thing is if you find an author you like, it is easy to look at Amazon and find all the books he or she has written and if you have a wifi connection you can download another of their books in about a minute. Hope that helps.
Thanks, I'll have to figure out how to get one without a credit card, if I decide to get one. I have never bought anything online.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I always have to chuckle when folks say they will never get a kindle or a nook because they like the feel of a real book. I think that people used to say that they would never read a book because they like the feel of a real scroll. It is so much more comfortable to hold a kindle than it is to hold a big, heavy book. I have a kindle app on my iPad, but still prefer reading on my kindle because it is so light and easy to hold.
I like the feel of money in my hands. What are the costs involved in purchasing plus maintenence fees and online fees etc.. Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM

You can buy a kindle at local stores, and even but amazon gift cards at local stores to use online like a credit card.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000465651]Buy Amazon Gift Cards at Participating Retailers[/ame]
Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutii View Post
You can buy a kindle at local stores, and even but amazon gift cards at local stores to use online like a credit card.
Buy Amazon Gift Cards at Participating Retailers
Thanks, I see they have it on sale for $169.00 (sticker shock!)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

I don't think mine cost that much. You probably don't need retina display or color screen. Credit cards make it all easy but gift cards that you use yourself are a great idea.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran member

No online fees, no purchase agreement fees. They just want you to use your kindle to by "stuff" at Amazon. You never have to buy anything if you get free ebooks or get ebooks thru the library.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
JP, what is the model name of the Kindle you have? I have one of the original ones. It has a leather cover so I can open it like book, but no light in the cover. My husband has a Kindle Touch. I would like one eventually with a built in light but don't want a Kindle Fire as I don't like reading the backlit ones (like reading books on my iPad, for instance.)
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Gold member

My wife and I have had Kindles ever since they first came out. Presently I have a Kindle Paperwhite which allows me to read in any kind of light from a dark room to bright sunlight. The screen is very easy on the eyes and is not as tiring as say an Ipad which has a backlit screen. You can have either a wifi unit or a 4g unit which allows you to buy books anywhere. My wife has purchased books while riding in our car. However, I just have wifi as I can download books at home and if I go on vacation I can get enough books to see me thru. Don't feel I need the 4g which is more expensive.

I really love my paperwhite and would recommend that particular Kindle. I think the price now is around $140. You can check them out at Best Buy.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

CFrance. My kindle is also,I believe, one of the original ones. My cover is also leather but it does have a light that runs off of my Kindles' battery. Maybe you have a light too? It is a black looking piece that pulls out on the upper left of the cover. If you don't have a lighted cover I bet you could get a lighted cover if you wanted to. I believe at the time my cover was around $50. Since the light is a led it takes hardly any power to run it. Its' nice because it lights the front of the kindle almost like a room light but isn't so bright as to bother anybody else.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.