reading

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage
Default reading

This isn't about a book. Well not about a particular book. It's about reading books. It is a column written by my favorite columnist about reading. I love TV and have read countless threads. I thought perhaps the readers in Talk of the Books will love this column too:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...-from-reading/
Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM

That's a beautiful, touching article. I happily passed it on to all my "reading" friends.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Platinum member

BKC, thanks for sharing the article. I sent it to my librarian friend.
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 PM

I just love Sharon Randall's columns. I look forward to them every weekend here in Naples. Thanks for sharing this one!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you, bk, for sharing the link.

Many of our public libraries are under siege now as state and local politicians look for ways to cut funding. Library hours and library staffs are being slashed. Book budgets are dwindling.

Many of us remember well that day when we got our first library card. I do. Even though it was a really long time ago.

As kids, we were allowed to get only 3 books at a time from our tiny little public library where Miss Henrietta reigned. Miss Henrietta looked like she was straight out of central casting -- the perfect prim and proper librarian.

Miss Henrietta smiled as she congratulated me on my brand new library card and stamped my 3 books with the due date -- the due date 28 days later.

3 BOOKS! 28 DAYS???? Who was Miss Henrietta kidding???

I stood up as tall as I could. I adjusted my little cateye glasses. And I politely, yet firmly, told Miss Henrietta that I did not need 28 days to read 3 books.

And Miss Henrietta adjusted her glasses, although she stayed sitting, and told me that was fine and to come back when I had finished them and get 3 more.

(Geez! I was such a little nerd that I ran right home, read all 3, and returned that very afternoon. -- I was a nerd before nerd was a word.)

On behalf of nerdy little girls everywhere, I am asking all of you to please support your public libraries. If a tax levy appears on your ballot for money for libraries, please say yes. Consider those few dollars to be one of the best investments you can make. An investment in the freedom to read and the freedom to learn...for everybody...not just for nerdy little girls.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-29-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.