Recommendations wanted for science books

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Sage
Default Recommendations wanted for science books

Is there anything that you think is a must read book on some aspect of science? It should be something written for the average reader, not something written by a physicist for other physicists.

Thanks.
VPL
Old 02-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Is there anything that you think is a must read book on some aspect of science? It should be something written for the average reader, not something written by a physicist for other physicists.

Thanks.
VPL
Here ya go.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Sage

I know it's old----but I think it still is relevant.

The Way Things Work Hardcover – October 24, 1988
by David Macaulay (Author)

I loved that book. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Things-Work-David-Macaulay/dp/0395428572"]click here[/ame]

12 of 12 people found the following review helpful
An Educational Comedy
By A Customer on March 21, 1998
Format: Hardcover
The Way Things Work by David MacAulay is an encyclopedia of technology hidden in a children's book. The illustrations are designed to encapsulate each description for children, but the text is fashioned in such a way that both the child and the adult can glean differing levels of understanding from it. The aspect of humor is used to make the information more palatable, and was one of the most endearing parts of the book. One of the best features of this book is its exceptional illustrations done in pen and ink involving cavemen and woolly mammoths. I was expecting to buy a juvenille explanation of simplistic household objects and got a book that I repeatedly borrowed from its recipient to read for myself (much to his chagrin). I was quite impressed and would reccomend this book to anyone looking to purchase an in-depth "But Why?" book for a youngster or an enjoyable plain-english technology manual for adults.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.