Story of Edgar Sawtelle - book

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Story of Edgar Sawtelle - book

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski is a new book that is getting wonderful press. It is supposed to be an absolutely stunning piece of writing.

I was just wondering if anybody out there in TOTVland has read it yet.

I heard that there were dogs in it and I thought, uh oh, I will just cry when stuff happens to the dog, like it always does in books so it seems. (Hey did you ever hear the song "She Never Cried When Old Yeller Died"? Well, that song is NOT about Boomer.)

Anyway, this book was recommended to me tonight. And the person who told me about it says the dogs are not the whole story, and I will be OK reading about them. The rec was from somebody who reads at least 50 buzillion books every year and I respect her opinion greatly. And she has known me forever. So if she says I will like it, I will like it.

Something interesting about the author -- at least I think so -- is that he was a software designer or something with computers, maybe a programmer. He researched and wrote for many years to get this one to us. And the word on the street where Boomer lives is that this one is beautifully written and that you cannot put it down. And it's a big one. But supposed to be one that you don't want to end.

Well, I have told you absolutely nothing much about the book. Because I do not know yet. I just wanted to see if you could tell me anything about it.

Well, it is after midnight I see, and here I am typing. And I always say that I should never type after midnight. When I type after midnight, I either start to sound totally goofy or I make a shameless confession of some sort. Like about Judd Hirsch.

Right now I am reading American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. And that's my shameless confession for the midnight hour.

Boomer

Old 09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Default Re: Story of Edgar Sawtelle - book

Hey, Boomer;

I just finished the Story of Edgar Sawtelle and was thinking about how to explain this by email to a close friend in Houston. We both read a lot and know each other's taste pretty well.

I have a pretty extensive vocabulary and am seldom at any loss for words. However, I'm having difficulty trying to explain this work. First, it is about a young boy and dogs. If you really hate dogs --- don't know anyone in this category --- then you won't like the book. But, it's much more than that. The kennel information is really incidental. I liked this book despite it's length, over 550 pgs. I usually get bored with long, wordy novels. This kept my interest. Perhaps, it's that I found the writing style to be so clean (not referring to profanity although I don't remember any), crisp and new. At times the descriptions are so vivid I felt as if I was reading poetry. Clearly the author spent a great deal of time writing this story and put much of himself into the work. It's a first book and only time will tell if he has another in him. I almost hope he doesn't as it would be a shame for him to prostitute his talent to today's mass merchandising producers.

What a long way for me to simply say, "Buy the book. I think you'll like it". When you're into it drop me a note and let me know your impressions. I'd be delighted to hear.

Richard

Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you dfn8tly,

Your post is so funny. And I can tell from just those words of yours about the words that you would have loved the conversation at my house last night about this book. The person explaining to me why I should read it was an English major undergrad with a masters in tech writing. Just retired from tech writing. And yes, even she was at a loss for words.

She told me that there is one paragraph that she goes back to and reads again and again because it is so perfect. I will have to find out where it is. She also said that it is a book she will read again. That is something she seldom does. She said that there is a little stuff written from a dog viewpoint and that even that is perfectly done. And she is a dog lover so she would know.

I will buy this soon. I can't get my nose out of American Wife for right now.

How funny is this. A bunch of word people with no words to describe a perfect book written by a computer guy.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is sure going to be interesting for book clubs to do. Nobody will know what to say.

And about that one book in an author. To Kill A Mockingbird -- perfect. And it is the one movie from a book that worked fine for me.

Boomer

Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Thank you for this subject. I have heard great reviews regarding this book, however I cannot read any books or see any movies where animals are hurt or die. I simply fall apart. From reading these posts it seems this will not happen.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boomer. Who do you think IS the American Wife? Jackie or Laura or Dolly?

Boomer. You are a librarian. Right? The only trouble I have ever been in with authority is with librarians. I keep books too long. I talk in the library. Please don't be a librarian.

Boomer. You are so smart and such a wordsmith. (I just heard that term is OUT) but you sure know how to throw those words around.

Boomer. You have to be a librarian or a RICH person because the only other picture we have of you on TOTV is with your back to us, sitting on an exercise ball at your computer with stacks of HARDBOUND books. NEW ones. Are you rich Boomer?

Do you live just down from Barnes and Noble and visit frequently? I am in the 10 step program for that. It ain't working.

I can't get out of Kroger's without a book in my grocery bag. I even read them in the morning now.

Boomer. Then there are the two of us don't tell they'd banish us you know and I can't remember....Oh I'm nobody. Well that doesn't work. NEED COFFEE. Shouldn't type this early when not sleeping well.

I do so like you Boomer. You sure are pretty too as well as smart and flyboy is handsome. Wow.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Soaring Parsley

gg,

Behave youself! Drink coffee! I am not a rich librarian. And I have spent our life savings on hardbound books. So now we will never have any hope of being rich. As much as I love libraries, when it comes to new books, I want what I want when I want it. So I keep spending our life savings on them. Mr. Boomer buys hardbound books, too. His though are mostly non-fiction. But I think he is going to read this one. No, NOT American Wife. He is going to read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Be careful in those bookstores, gg. One time on here I wrote about how bookstores are meetmarkets.

And the American Wife is Laura. Thinly disguised Laura. The book is fiction. And as I understand it, the author really likes Laura a lot, but takes an interesting perspective on things. I am not too far into the book. So far, Alice (Laura) and I are still in high school. I can relate to all the stuff that has to do with the times as she goes through her childhood and teenage years. Right down to those long gloves for the prom. I like Laura, too. And I like Alice, the character in the book. And this author is a good one.

I think you might like the book a lot. But I have heard it is quite steamy in places. No steam yet. Alice is still in high school. It is a small Midwest town. She is a nice girl. No steam yet for Alice.

If I would stop writing all this stuff on here, I might actually get the book read.

Boomer 024
Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Taltarzac

Reviews of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle http://www.edgarsawtelle.com/reviews.html
Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Sage

The reviews themselves were beautiful writing Tal. I just bought it on ebay. That and The American Wife. Going to run my sweeper and dust before they get here.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Gold member

I'm 68 pages into this novel, Boomer, and I thank you for sharing your insights. It is wonderful and has now gotten the kiss from Oprah for her Book Club choice, what a read!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Soaring Parsley

I am so glad you like it. I am also so embarrassed because I have not even started it yet.

We have a big project here that I need to pay lots of attention to. And I also have to obsess a little over the news. And I have not looked around much on this new TOTV thing, but it looks pretty snazzy from the little I have seen of it. But I needed the little blush face guy just now and I cannot find him. He is probably right in front of me. (I do not like to read directions and FAQ's, etc. so I will just blissfully point and click until I figure all this out. But I have not been doing much pointing and clicking lately. Just stopping in to see what the posts have to say.) -- Oh and I have not done anything with spellcheck yet either so please forgive the things I miss in my proofreading.

So anyway, back to the book, I am glad you liked my recommendation. (Is that spelled right?) And I promise to read the book next, after "American Wife."

You know, maybe those of you who are in TV could have a TOTV Book Club. That could maybe be fun. (What!!!! Please make me stop!! Stopitstopitstopitboomer! What is the matter with me. Do I think I am Oprah or something!!!)

Anyway, I have not read the book yet (blush face, blush face) but I sure am glad you like it.

Boomer
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Gold member

Boomer, it's me again... I'm on page 320 of Edgar Sawtelle and having a very difficult time putting it down. I was only able to get to it briefly in the beginning and now I'm tearing myself away so I can savor the whole thing. So far, excellentttt!
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Sage

RATS. I bought Edgar Sawtale on your recommendation Boomer, and saved it for when we came here, and forgot to bring it.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Gold member

GG, have whomever is watching your home go in, get the book and ship it to you. You won't be sorry on those cool, rainy days or early evening on the lanai.... boy, I miss TV's.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Default Sawtel book

My wife and I listened to the book from CDs that we obtained at our local library while we were driving down from PA to the Villages for our first lifestyle preview visit. It goes on and on and on but is riveting all the way. We both enjoyed it a great deal and it kept our minds off the drive for a great deal of the time driving down and back. 18 hours if I recall correctly.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Taltarzac
Default 18 CDs and 21.5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcw View Post
My wife and I listened to the book from CDs that we obtained at our local library while we were driving down from PA to the Villages for our first lifestyle preview visit. It goes on and on and on but is riveting all the way. We both enjoyed it a great deal and it kept our minds off the drive for a great deal of the time driving down and back. 18 hours if I recall correctly.
Hope the narrator, Richard Poe, had a nice voice? http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...9781436160308/
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.