Suggestions needed...

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Default Suggestions needed...

I have never been a reader, but added it to my bucket list. Experience has shown that the smartest people are those who read a lot. So, I am going to try to read each day. As an engineer, most of my reading, and writing, has been technical journals. I am interested in getting into a novel, or two. I need some suggestions that might get me weened into reading again. Anyone have any ideas for a 63 yo male engineer?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Sage

Two authors you might enjoy are Robert Parker and Lee Childs.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Thumbs up

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDz View Post
I have never been a reader, but added it to my bucket list. Experience has shown that the smartest people are those who read a lot. So, I am going to try to read each day. As an engineer, most of my reading, and writing, has been technical journals. I am interested in getting into a novel, or two. I need some suggestions that might get me weened into reading again. Anyone have any ideas for a 63 yo male engineer?
Not knowing your tastes for story line, I think a good bet would be David Baldacci , and in particular, I think you might like the "Camel Club Seres" of books. I'd read them in order if the first one "Camel Club" catches your fancy. If I recall correctly, there are 5 books in the series.

James Patterson is a pretty good bet. I like the "Alex Cross Series." I'd read those in order too.

A little racier, but fast moving and fun, are the Stuart Woods "Stone Barrington Series". The first one is "New York Dead." Stuart Woods is probably my favorite author and I've read them all. If you would like, I could provide you a list of all of Stuart Woods Books broken down by when they were written and by series groupings.

As an individual book to get you started, you might want to read "Chiefs" by Stuart Woods. It can be read as a stand alone, but there are books written with the same main character in them. It is an older book and I believe Stuart Woods first. It was an award winner.

The Sumter Library System is wonderful and we get most of our books at the branch near the Charter High School. After you get your card you can request/hold and renew books on line.

Xavier
Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Sage
Default I second James Patterson

James Patterson.....usually writes murder mysteries....keep you on the edge of your seat.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDz View Post
Try Michael Crichton if you are into technical stuff along with good realistic science fiction. MichaelCrichton.com | What's New

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crichton

Some of his books have been made into movies-- Disclosure, Terminal Man, Jurassic Park, Sphere, Timeline, The Andromedia Strain and Congo among others. He has also played a role in other films like Twister and Westworld.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Killing of Abraham Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly; great history of interesting subject written in novel format. Then any/all the above suggestions are great. Enjoy
Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Anything by Wilbur Smith. About 30 novels that start in ancient Egypt and go though today and all take place in Africa. John Grissom, Ken Follet, James Rollins, Clive Cussler, James Clavell, Tom Clancy, Carl Hiason, all have some great books as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Default love to read mysteries

and the Alex Cross series by James Patterson has been entertaining...a little dark for me, though so I usually need a break from that kind of reading. Greg Iles is good - his book "24 Hours" was definitely a good read, kept me on the edge of my seat...very well done, I thought.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallyfree View Post
Killing of Abraham Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly; great history of interesting subject written in novel format. Then any/all the above suggestions are great. Enjoy
I am listening to the Books on Tape of Killing Lincoln. It is also read by Bill O'Reilly. Good book. I am not buying some of the conspiracy stuff though. Kind of hard to swallow that someone conspired to have all the bridges in the DC open so that the Wilkes bunch could make their getaways after they assassinated their respective targets.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Sage
Default Unbroken

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-28-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Addition
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.