Switching from Kindle to ... ?

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2021, 07:11 AM

I'm old school, I like going to the library and get a book to read.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 AM

I often check Amazon and then order from the library
Old 01-12-2021, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for your post. I love my paper white as well. Haven’t considered switching but now I’m debating. So far I’ve only seen one reply that actually answered your question. Hoping more will come
Old 01-12-2021, 08:18 AM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Good for you, we are kicking the Amazon to the curb as well, hopefully you find something enjoyable..
Why?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:19 AM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
One of my favorite possessions is my Kindle Paperwhite. I am, however, trying to wean myself away from Amazon and considering switching to something else. Kobo seems to be the next most popular system. Anyone use it and have any comments, pro or con?

Thanks.

kathy
What's wrong with Amazon?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:19 AM

I have been attempting to wean myself from Amazon as well. Doing so, makes me realize how much of a monopoly they really hold on our commerce.

That said — I try to use library loans as much as possible. Sometimes requires a bit of a wait on new releases.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo8357 View Post
I have been attempting to wean myself from Amazon as well. Doing so, makes me realize how much of a monopoly they really hold on our commerce.

That said — I try to use library loans as much as possible. Sometimes requires a bit of a wait on new releases.
Same here they are everywhere in everything
Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
What's wrong with Amazon?
Everything........to Big for their britches
Old 01-12-2021, 08:25 AM
Default IPad mini is my choice

Quote:
One of my favorite possessions is my Kindle Paperwhite. I am, however, trying to wean myself away from Amazon and considering switching to something else. Kobo seems to be the next most popular system. Anyone use it and have any comments, pro or con?

Thanks.

kathy
Kathy, used to have a kindle, got a a iPad mini and never looked back, I eliminated all my computers and use it solely, can do anything that I did with my computer on the IPad, you can get a 3rd or 4th generation IPad mini for around 150 to 200 depending on aesthetics on EBay, look at the description and always pay through PayPal and reread the description totally, purchase the one with the most memory too. Once you start using your iPad, you will never go back to any other.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I have a 2020 iPad Air which is a very nice tablet but there is no comparison to reading a book on an iPad vs a Kindle Paperwhite with the e-Ink display.

The point is that I prefer not to buy products (including ebooks) from Amazon these days if I can find comparable alternatives. (I would explain why but I think most people can figure out why and I don't want to annoy the moderators by going into that FORBIDDEN SUBJECT.)

I have software that can convert various formats of ebooks from [whatever] to Kindle (removing the DRM crap) so in theory I could buy books from B&N or Kobo or (???), convert them to Kindle format, and send them to my Kindle. I would prefer, though, to buy a new device and just download books straight to it without doing all that conversion nonsense.

So has anyone used an actual Kobo device? Thanks.

k.
Enjoy your life and the things available to you through technology.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

this may sound like i'm stuck in the era of 8-track tapes, but i still prefer actual books i can hold. i never had a kindle-thing, or ipad for that matter, & i can find plenty to read (mostly non-fiction. yeah, i'm a nerd.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:15 AM
Sage

I think if you are used to the paperwhite you may have trouble switching to another device especially if it has a backlight. One of the nice parts about the paperwhite is that there is no backlight. I even find the kindle fire the light hurts my eyes.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Thanks.

kathy
Sorry Kathy I never heard of Kobo but I don’t keep up with the times. I think Amazon is just slowly trying to wean us off of other suppliers by slowly raising their prices & some things have went up already. The only thing I don’t like about Amazon is they sell a lot of Chinese junk & most of it is junk. But I always try to buy MADE in the USA, but if I have to buy Made in China junk I’ll buy from Amazon because it is cheaper right now. You know our to be administration will be letting everything that comes into the U. S. will force us to buy it, or should I say U. S. of China. I really think Amazon is here to stay, they’re to big & do to much business here to think a hand full of people can force them to lose our business! But like you, I’ll buy else where as much as I can!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:47 AM

Don’t blame you for trying to get away from Amazon. Pretty tough to do though. They are convenient. But I am trying to find ways to buy locally instead of them.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I have owned Kobo ebook readers and found that there is little difference in those and any other Android reader. I now purchase only Android ebook readers and then put the FREE Kobo, Barnes and Noble and Kindle apps on it, as well as the epub reader that comes with the Android device. The most popular format for ereading is the Epub format which you can just about get any electronic book in. If I find a book on line that I wish to read that is any other format, I convert it to epub before reading or read it in the Kindle reader. Almost any book you wish to read, you can get the epub version.
I too am thinking of severing my use of Amazon. I no longer use Google either, using several other browsers instead.
But, if you are thinking of puchasing a Kobo ebook reader, you might consider getting a generic ebook reader and just installing the free Kobo app or one of the many other free reading apps available for download and install.

Tags
switching, kindle, popular, system, comments

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.