"Waiter Rant" - new book

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default "Waiter Rant" - new book

I have a really bad habit of recommending books that I have not yet finished. At least I have finally learned to stop loaning my not yet finished books to the people I am recommending them to, until I have finished reading them. Reading the books that is. Not reading the people. Well, that, too, I guess. But I digress.

Anyway, I am on page 60 of "Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip -- Confessions of a Cynical Waiter" by The Waiter. And I really, really like it.

The first few pages were a bit rough on me because I felt so bad for what this poor guy was putting up with from some savages also working at the restaurant. But then he hit his stride. And boy I sure do like his style. He tells us his story. And so far, so good.

The writer, who remains anonymous for this autobiography, started with a blog, WaiterRant.net for which he won awards. The blog is still there I think. And I bet the rant is still in full force. I have not yet looked in on his blog.

Can you imagine? Imagine? A waiter who calls himself cynical? My, my. Just think about getting to spend your days and nights, on your feet, smiling and nodding, and fetching and toting, and hoping to get a tip or two that might help cover the rent.

Who among us has not, at one time or another, spent a little time slinging hash? I know that I did. Long ago. One of those summer jobs. Long ago. It was at a golf course. I served cheeseburgers to geezers and batted my eyelashes and it was kind of fun. But I knew it was not my real life. And even all these many years later, the memory of that job makes me, to this day and forever, a really good tipper.

So here is a tip for you. If you like a little nonfiction in your life. And you like a little attitude from your authors. A little humor. A little (well actually a lot) of insight into human nature. Maybe pick up a copy of "Waiter Rant" and come be in my little book club. We meet on my patio when we are avoiding paperwork. For right now, I am the only member.

Boomer

Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Platinum member
Default "Waiter Rant" - new book

BOOMER!!! I need to read this book! I just sent 'The Waiter' a note which I am going to post here for you to understand my reason.....Kudos on your book!! Let me introduce myself, I am The Waitress, Of course I don't have the accolades of the male gender, or the respect. I actually appreciated when waitress became less gender specific and I then called myself a server. I don't even want to try and figure how many people I serviced in 25 years. Did I say serviced?? OMG I digress! You know what I really mean, I'm sure! Right? I was good though, actually, I was great!! Waitressing that is! 25 years of my life had been spent making restaurant patrons happy, well 99% of the time. I'm sure you know there are a few that will never be happy, even when the check is comped and they leave with bellys full and a high five is observed out in the parking lot. You see, I enjoyed being a waitress/server or I wouldn't have spent 25 of the best years of my life doing what we do. I started a journal or diary several years ago, because I didn't want to ever forget some of the scenarios I had experienced. The time a gentleman was so inebriated he whipped it (yes IT) out in the dining room and relieved himself on the support beam that had been lovingly faced with mahogony. Now understand this was an ocean front semi-formal dining room. I had the governor and other prominent people sitting very close by. My regular customer asked if I had directed him to that pole??!! So many stories. The chef who threw a meat clever at thye dishwasher for not getting him a saute pan quick enough. On and On and On .....My very first restaurant job I had been given this god-awful blue onion print material and told to make a little fu fu dutch girl skirt with a little white ruffle hem to wear with a fu fu white blouse for a uniform. I couldn't sew straight I was laughiing so hard!! I called my collection of observations and quips, "The Restaurant Diaries". It was never my intention to publish my musings, but after reading your blog and a friend referring me to your successful book, I wonder if there is a possability of a day I can be financially secure from my rants! BTW, you were highly paid. My hourly rate was $2.89 an hour when I left the business 3 years ago to move to Florida. Sure I was bringing home over $200 per shift, but no health, 401k or any other perks. My last day after 15 years in this beautiful restaurant with 3 very well to do owners I was handed a bottle of cheap wine and told, "good luck"! HA!! Appreciation for all those years?? You are our favorite. We need you here to take care of us personally on all holidays, etc.... When the kids flew the coop, so did I. Please tell me more about how you went about writing a book. I'm sure there is room for another book or 2 on this subject, and I think being The Waitress I could do what you did from a different perspective, a womans point of view. I do not expect a response from you as I'm sure you are quite busy! But I had to try. I had a huge following, even waited on a few celebrities. They didn't call me Rocking Rhonda for nothing! Maybe if I follow your footsteps and consider a book writing, I can get health insurance, and not dwell for the rest of my life that my job was in vain! Thanks for your time and Good Luck to you!! If you have the heart and a moment please respond. Sincerely, The Waitress, Rhonda
Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: "Waiter Rant" - new book

;D

I am not sure what you wrote...as I am so tired today to even read a lot and you both wrote A LOT......

however my first thought is that you all should WRITE your own book....there is so much to say...about so many topics.....

Love to you both....will read this all later..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Suzy Toronto
Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokinronda
BOOMER!!! I need to read this book! I just sent 'The Waiter' a note which I am going to post here for you to understand my reason.....The Waitress, Rhonda
Ronda,

I am really tickled that you connected with this little thing I wrote while I was sitting here in the kitchen, waiting for the evil, wicked bacon to cook, for our BLT's that I have to have, once in awhile, when those tomatoes are so real, here in my Ohio summer.

But I am even more tickled that you sent "The Waiter" your note.

You know, I had a feeling that you are, indeed, a student of human nature. Now, I know why.

Put your feet up, grab that laptop, and write on, Ronda. And tomorrow, get thee to B&N and get your very own copy of "Waiter Rant."

Boomer
Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Platinum member

can I be your agent.......I am good on the phone!!!!!!!!!!! :#1:

Suzy Toronto
Old 08-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokinronda
BOOMER!!! I need to read this book! I just sent 'The Waiter' a note which I am going to post here for you to understand my reason.....Kudos on your book!! Let me introduce myself, I am The Waitress, Of course I don't have the accolades of the male gender, or the respect. I actually appreciated when waitress became less gender specific and I then called myself a server. I don't even want to try and figure how many people I serviced in 25 years. Did I say serviced?? OMG I digress! You know what I really mean, I'm sure! Right? I was good though, actually, I was great!! Waitressing that is! 25 years of my life had been spent making restaurant patrons happy, well 99% of the time. I'm sure you know there are a few that will never be happy, even when the check is comped and they leave with bellys full and a high five is observed out in the parking lot. You see, I enjoyed being a waitress/server or I wouldn't have spent 25 of the best years of my life doing what we do. I started a journal or diary several years ago, because I didn't want to ever forget some of the scenarios I had experienced. The time a gentleman was so inebriated he whipped it (yes IT) out in the dining room and relieved himself on the support beam that had been lovingly faced with mahogony. Now understand this was an ocean front semi-formal dining room. I had the governor and other prominent people sitting very close by. My regular customer asked if I had directed him to that pole??!! So many stories. The chef who threw a meat clever at thye dishwasher for not getting him a saute pan quick enough. On and On and On .....My very first restaurant job I had been given this god-awful blue onion print material and told to make a little fu fu dutch girl skirt with a little white ruffle hem to wear with a fu fu white blouse for a uniform. I couldn't sew straight I was laughiing so hard!! I called my collection of observations and quips, "The Restaurant Diaries". It was never my intention to publish my musings, but after reading your blog and a friend referring me to your successful book, I wonder if there is a possability of a day I can be financially secure from my rants! BTW, you were highly paid. My hourly rate was $2.89 an hour when I left the business 3 years ago to move to Florida. Sure I was bringing home over $200 per shift, but no health, 401k or any other perks. My last day after 15 years in this beautiful restaurant with 3 very well to do owners I was handed a bottle of cheap wine and told, "good luck"! HA!! Appreciation for all those years?? You are our favorite. We need you here to take care of us personally on all holidays, etc.... When the kids flew the coop, so did I. Please tell me more about how you went about writing a book. I'm sure there is room for another book or 2 on this subject, and I think being The Waitress I could do what you did from a different perspective, a womans point of view. I do not expect a response from you as I'm sure you are quite busy! But I had to try. I had a huge following, even waited on a few celebrities. They didn't call me Rocking Rhonda for nothing! Maybe if I follow your footsteps and consider a book writing, I can get health insurance, and not dwell for the rest of my life that my job was in vain! Thanks for your time and Good Luck to you!! If you have the heart and a moment please respond. Sincerely, The Waitress, Rhonda
Rhonda. I am a huge fan. You certainly could write this book!!. You were a success at being a waitress, but you were also cut out to be an author, a diplomat, a politician, a journalist, a CEO a Lawyer..... I could go on and on. You have a high I.Q. tremendous wit and style and enormous compassion. You rock girl. :#1: I do so like you.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.