Wall Street Journal: 'Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias'

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Wall Street Journal: 'Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias'

I don't think Mr. Blechman quite understands that we baby boomers accept growing old -- no choice in the matter -- and growing up -- we're still kids and want our toys.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Default Re: Wall Street Journal: 'Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias'

I just finished reading the book and found it quite interesting. Mr. Blechman did visit and spend time at The Villages and provided quite a bit of information about The Villages I wasn't aware of after five visits. For example, "Villagers, collectively owe several hundred million dollars for their community's infrastructure and amenities" and "sixty percent of every monthly amenity fee goes toward debt service." He predicts that the debt is likely to increase as the "community continues to build out." As a friend of mine once said about our community up north - things I didn't like about the community when I was young are what I like about it now. Mr. Blechman's opinions and reporting in no way changed my mind of making The Villages my permanent home when I retire. All it did was make me miss being there.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy
For example, "Villagers, collectively owe several hundred million dollars for their community's infrastructure and amenities" and "sixty percent of every monthly amenity fee goes toward debt service."* He predicts that the debt is likely to increase as the "community continues to build out."*
Did the author couch these "facts" in terms that made them sound onerous and ominous?* In other words, did he complete his analysis by making a qualitative judgement about the appropriateness of this debt within some context, or did he express this in a manner that results in a lightly veiled negative innuendo intended to lead the reader to assume that this condition is irresponsible, to be feared and avoided?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Wall Street Journal: 'Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizona5
I found Mr. Blechman's whole article pretty funny, especially the part where he says:
"In particular, baby boomers may be reluctant to embrace communities like The Villages -- the generation that never wanted to grow up might shun places that would expose them as not-young."
I'm a baby boomer. I never grew up. I never want to and never will. I can think of no place on earth better suited to not growing up than TV.
You took the words right out of my mouth
I like the way you think :bigthumbsup:
VIVA TV
Handie :joke:
Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
Did the author couch these "facts" in terms that made them sound onerous and ominous? In other words, did he complete his analysis by making a qualitative judgement about the appropriateness of this debt within some context, or did he express this in a manner that results in a lightly veiled negative innuendo intended to lead the reader to assume that this condition is irresponsible, to be feared and avoided?
The facts were stated in the section on Government, Inc. It was explained how Gary Morse sells the recreation centers and golf courses to the central districts when we wants reimbursement. Mr. Blechman further addresses this issue with his conversation with Joe Gorman, head of the POA who said The Villages "is ninety percent great. Not merely good - but great." I believe the writer is pointing out what could become a problem since the residents don't have a say in what is happening. He also points out that most people don't really mind since they're happy with the way things are being run. For someone who hasn't yet purchased a home, it certainly is something to think about and consider and I believe that's what the writer was looking to accomplish.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Veteran member

I guess that means it's "lightly veiled innuendo."
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

My husband who is a baby boomer says.....I may have to grow old but I will never grow up!!! I call it Peter Pan syndrome and LOVE it!! Unfortunately, I was born during WWII so I am not a boomer.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When you can't try to see both sides, you just may be getting too narrow minded, stubborn and grouchy to truly evaluate a subject and learn something. I am buying the book.

I still think this author is a kid and possibly is jealous of a bunch of us geezers living so happily.

However, I haven't read the book.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

Actually, his photograph reveals him as someone in his mid to late thirties, possibly a bit older. I'm going to have to read the entire book, too. I'm sure it will be stimulating. :joke:
Old 04-28-2008, 01:50 PM

About the book...from the publisher:

Sunday, April 27, 2008
"Leisureville"
New from Atlantic Monthly Press: Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias by Andrew D. Blechman.

About the book, from the publisher:

From the author of Pigeons comes a first-handlook at America’s senior utopias, gated retirementcommunities where no kids are allowed.

Andrew Blechman’s first book, the critically acclaimed and commercially successful Pigeons, was a charming look at the much-maligned bird and the quirky subcultures that flock to it. In Leisureville, Blechman investigates another subculture, but one with more significant consequences.

When his next-door neighbors in a quaint New England town suddenly pick up and move to a gated retirement community in Florida called “The Villages,” Blechman is astonished by their stories, so he goes to investigate. Larger than Manhattan, with a golf course for every day of the month, two downtowns, its own newspaper, radio, and TV stations, The Villages is a city of nearly one hundred thousand (and growing), missing only one thing: children. Started in the 1950s and popularized by Del Webb’s Sun City, age-segregated retirement is an exploding phenomenon. More than twelve million people will soon live in these communities, under restrictive covenants, with limited local government, and behind gates that exclude children. And not all of the residents are seniors, or even retirees.

Blechman delves into life in the senior utopia, offering a hilarious first-hand report on all its peculiarities, from ersatz nostalgia and golf-cart mania to manufactured history and the residents’ surprisingly active sex life. He introduces us to dozens of outrageous characters including the Villages press-wary developer who wields remarkable control over the community, and an aging ladies man named Mr. Midnight, with whom Blechman repeatedly samples the nightlife.

But Leisureville is more than just a romp through retirement paradise: Blechman traces the history of the trend, and travels to Arizona to show what has happened to the pioneering utopias after decades of segregation. He investigates the government of these “instant” cities, attends a builder’s conference, speaks with housing experts, and examines the implications of millions of Americans dropping out of society to live under legal segregation. This is an important book on an underreported phenomenon that is only going to get bigger, as baby boomers reach retirement age. A fascinating blend of serious history, social criticism, and hilarious, engaging reportage, Leisureville couldn’t come at a better time.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Veteran member

I bought the book and finished it tonight.

Here is the essence:

Mr. Blechman sees developers and occupants of age restricted communities as "bigots."* He has a social agenda that preaches, in essence, that the only worthwhile community is a fully age (and I presume every other way, including what most would consider "perversions") integrated and diverse community.* Cultural diversity is the primary social distinctive required to be cherished by enlightened ones.* Otherwise one is worthy of disdain and disparagement.* He strongly suggests that freedom of choice of retirees to live in these types of "ghettos" is anti-social, and ought to be discouraged by government in some manner.

His written sampling of life in The Villages is curiously dominated by his passion to seek out lesbians, gender-changers, alcoholics, and sex-obsessed womanizers.* Hardly a random sampling.* In fact his story reveals a purposeful pursuit of kinky diversty.* I'm surprised that Dave, his host during his stay in The Villages, and one of the few relatively "normal" folks he mentions, still speaks to him.* The only "Christian" he refers to is called "The Enforcer" and is negatively portrayed as an extreme dominator of women.

In several passages he refers to TV as a "gated" community when it suits his purpose to infer "a closed society."* But then later on he says it's really not gated when it suits his purposes to infer superficiality.

He states that few homes have front porches when it suits his purposes to infer there is little neighborliness like there is in his traditional New England towns.* He doesn't notice that most homes have front porches, but they are located 30' from the street instead of 10' as he would like them - "within talking distance."* While he acknowledges his perceived purpose of front porches inducing "neighorliness" (and it appears to him TV is lacking here), throughout the book he describes how amazingly friendly and outgoing Villagers are.

The end of the book mentions the tornados that ripped through TV in February '07.* But despite the great story of how quickly everyone came together, neighbor helping neighbor, developer helping neighbor (granted, his interest) for a miraculously fast recovery, the author mentioned none of this.

On one hand, the author is disdainful of TV's lack of diversity while at the same time he purposely seeks and apparently finds his beloved "diversity" here.* Applying his same perverted investigative reporter technique to any other town in the world - he will certainly find diversity - blatantly shoved in people's faces.* This is what he apparently enjoys.

I could write much more about his distorted, biased, and his own bigoted view of The Villages and its people.* Suffice it to say, the book grossly distorts the character of The Villages while it is a mirror of the character of the author.

By the way, the subtitle "Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias" does not claim the essence of the book.* "A Gen X'ers Disingenuous Mock of Free Choice of Retirees" would be more appropriate.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Eternal Member

GF --
Thanx for reading the whole thing for us so we don't have to -- not that I was planning to do so.

Aside: I notice all the reviews refer his "quaint" New England hometown. Has anyone ever heard of a "quaint" Indiana town or "quaint" Iowa town? I think the only quaint town we had in Missouri was Hannibal.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Default Re: Wall Street Journal: 'Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopi

Well here's my vote...I'm a Boomer, I'm not an Adult and I'm mov'in to The Villages...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

If I felt there was any credibility to this guy's take on TV being "bigotted' then I obviously would not be planning on spending the rest of my life there.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

I am becoming increasingly convinced that in many cases, the word "bigot" is carelessly or maliciously misused to refer to anyone with whom one disagrees regarding their personal choices or opinions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.