What is the book that changed your life?

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Sage

i know what you mean
Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
Most of us have read many, many books. I believe my life has been influenced by great numbers of books, and regrettably I can't single out just one to add to this great thread topic.

How can I count all the books that stirred my life long passion for reading and further reading? How can I make a workable list and then narrow it down to one? I'm a relgious man, but to just blurt out The Bible would be very inaccurate. Biographies, autobiographies, travelogues, novels of all sorts, histories, and so on and so on.

They all have in ways affected my life, some in big ways, some in unnoticeable ways. And without any offense or smart alec attitude toward BarryRX ( who stands tall among the posters here) I am sure others feel as I do.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

I read half of Atlas Shrugged and got bored and quit. If it is so good that it has changed lives, perhaps I need to revisit it with renewed vigor. I cried over The Grapes of Wrath, and over To Kill a Mockingbird. Fifty Shades of Grey was fifty shades of stupid as far as I'm concerned.

I guess the books that literally most changed my life were the ones I read in college, because once I got a degree I really started moving up in my career. So I'm going with Business Accounting, Physics I and II, American History, etc.

Now if you want to talk about the best books I ever read, that is a horse of a different color. I'll list these in no particular order: Last of the Breed, The Light Between Oceans, The Great Santini, The Prince of Tides, The Green Mile, The Hour I First Believed, The Cider House Rules, Tuesdays With Morrie, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, Cold Mountain, Snow Falling on Cedars, Lord of the Flies, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, The Help, I Know This Much is True, oh Lord, I could go on and on. I do love a good book.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
I read half of Atlas Shrugged and got bored and quit. If it is so good that it has changed lives, perhaps I need to revisit it with renewed vigor. I cried over The Grapes of Wrath, and over To Kill a Mockingbird. Fifty Shades of Grey was fifty shades of stupid as far as I'm concerned.

I guess the books that literally most changed my life were the ones I read in college, because once I got a degree I really started moving up in my career. So I'm going with Business Accounting, Physics I and II, American History, etc.

Now if you want to talk about the best books I ever read, that is a horse of a different color. I'll list these in no particular order: Last of the Breed, The Light Between Oceans, The Great Santini, The Prince of Tides, The Green Mile, The Hour I First Believed, The Cider House Rules, Tuesdays With Morrie, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, Cold Mountain, Snow Falling on Cedars, Lord of the Flies, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, The Help, I Know This Much is True, oh Lord, I could go on and on. I do love a good book.
Love your list. I'd add The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany. She's Come Undone. But that's a whole 'nother thread.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Love your list. I'd add The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany. She's Come Undone. But that's a whole 'nother thread.
Ohhhh, I haven't read A Prayer for Owen Meany. I'm ordering it now. Do recommend the other two!

Wanda
Village of Collier

Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Ohhhh, I haven't read A Prayer for Owen Meany. I'm ordering it now. Do recommend the other two!
It's one of the few books I've read twice. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

"The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle
Old 12-10-2014, 03:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I really don't believe a book has "changed" anyone's life, although books certainly provoke thought.

For me, I would have to say it was the "Dick and Jane" series of books. That has to be the books that changed everyone's life because it is those books that taught us how to read!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I really don't believe a book has "changed" anyone's life, although books certainly provoke thought.

For me, I would have to say it was the "Dick and Jane" series of books. That has to be the books that changed everyone's life because it is those books that taught us how to read!
I hated their perfect family, though.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:04 PM

The Wind in the Willows.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

I almost failed first grade because of Dick and Jane! I already knew how to read, so when we were issued the books I just sat there and read all day, ignoring everything going on around me. Once I finished the book I was bored and proceeded to cause trouble for the rest of the year.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Sage

I hate to admit it but it was a Superman coloring book. His uniform needed one of those crayons that comes in a Crayola box of 64 and I only had the eight pack. Since then my self image was dangerously low.
Until I read "I'm OK, Your OK, even though you got the Crayola box of 64 and I didn't". It was a spin-off. That's when I adjusted.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

Can’t do just one, but here's my answer: As a child, My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead. Mustn’t forget Heidi. As a teenager, Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. Lately, probably The Shack and Cross Roads. I also must put Proof of Heaven in there as well. I’m ignoring dozens of self-help books, many of which have been named in this thread. While also the Bible and its lessons are important, I’m more inclined to think that each of these has had some effect in my thinking and the molding of who I am recognizing that we all are compilations and composites of all that we’ve seen, heard, smelled, touched and heard (whoops, should be tasted). Haven’t thought about some of these books in years so, BarryRX, thanks. I love this thread.

Last edited by tedquick; 12-11-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
Can’t do just one, but here's my answer: As a child, My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead. Mustn’t forget Heidi. As a teenager, Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. Lately, probably The Shack and Cross Roads. I also must put Proof of Heaven in there as well. I’m ignoring dozens of self-help books, many of which have been named in this thread. While also the Bible and its lessons are important, I’m more inclined to think that each of these has had some effect in my thinking and the molding of who I am recognizing that we all are compilations and composites of all that we’ve seen, heard, smelled, touched and heard. Haven’t thought about some of these books in years so, BarryRX, thanks. I love this thread.
Florence Nightingale as a child and Atlas Shrugged/The Fountainhead later on.........small world.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I hate to admit it but it was a Superman coloring book. His uniform needed one of those crayons that comes in a Crayola box of 64 and I only had the eight pack. Since then my self image was dangerously low.
Until I read "I'm OK, Your OK, even though you got the Crayola box of 64 and I didn't". It was a spin-off. That's when I adjusted.
Thank Goodness. I love your sense of humor.

And now you are here with us. If you had read the owner's manual you would know that at the same time that they clicked the picture for your I.D. card, they painlessly inserted a small chip that makes you love this place, and the developers and eventually changes the way you vote.

I hope you're o.k. with that. I used to be normal too. But I am happy now.
Oh. That name is taken.

Merry Christmas Tomwed. I think I just piffled. I know I didn't woot.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.