America: The Movie

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Sorry, the thread is not biased.
People who saw the film are expressing their opinions on it, which is their right. If more opinions lean one way, rather than the other, this is not bias, it is merely statistical data.
We have a bad habit lately of dismissing any opinion which does not agree with our own as being biased. Or prejudiced, or racist, etc. Oh well, it saves us from having to think for ourselves.
I try not to do that but instead do a lot of Googling. America does look like a movie with a very heavy handed political message. Michael Moore movies have the same kind of slant but in the other political direction.

I believe some movies you can ignore the politics of their actors, directors, etc, and just have fun watching them like The Lego Movie. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lego_movie/
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Dinesh D'Sousa definitely has his opinions, and his movie reflects them. Same for Michael Moore. Nothing wrong with that.
I do not object to reading or viewing viewpoints different than my own. It stimulates thinking.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Dinesh D'Sousa definitely has his opinions, and his movie reflects them. Same for Michael Moore. Nothing wrong with that.
I do not object to reading or viewing viewpoints different than my own. It stimulates thinking.
That's true. Just not worth $7.25 or whatever it is. You are talking to someone who got kicked out of the Moonies for being too confrontational around 1981. I only went to two of three meetings and made at least one of the presenters cry from my various philosophical questions. This was while they were recruiting at the University of Nevada, Reno. They then introduced me to a very good looking woman and hinted that I might get to know her better if I went on one of their weekend retreats. At about the same time, they were making harassing calls to my parents accusing them of abusing me, etc. That was just one of their tactics at that time. I told off their leader --Jerome Childress-- over the phone who admitted that they were just about to ask me not to come any more. He was a very charming African American whom I had met in front of the Philosophy Department building at UNR. He sparked my interest in his group's philosophy. He handed me a card for the Unification Church. I had not realized this was the Moonies with their arranged marriages often across racial lines because that is one if their beliefs. Possibly love less marriages to bring races together.

In 1982, I went to BYU Law School as one of the very non-Mormons. I only lasted 10 days or so as I had become the next target for conversion of my recently come over Puerto Rican dancer roommate at BYU.

I do seek out other opinions sometimes a little too recklessly.

I will probably watch America if and when it comes on cable.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 AM

I have seen this film, like a previous response the first part seemed to present a view that I could not agree with. Being an adult and wanting to understand the message behind the film I stayed and watched. The end result was I felt that I was able to get a better understanding of what is going on in America. I will not tell someone what to believe, but I will say that by watching this film you will be better informed.

JR
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRichm369 View Post
I have seen this film, like a previous response the first part seemed to present a view that I could not agree with. Being an adult and wanting to understand the message behind the film I stayed and watched. The end result was I felt that I was able to get a better understanding of what is going on in America. I will not tell someone what to believe, but I will say that by watching this film you will be better informed.

JR
I agree. I learned a great deal about American history, slants being presented in colleges, and paradigms on both sides for analyzing politics and economics and history.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I agree. I learned a great deal about American history, slants being presented and colleges, and paradigms on both sides for analyzing politics and economics and history.
You are piquing my interest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_(2014_film)

It looks like this movie has the same slant as this article on Howard Zinn and a biography about him. He is the historian the movie seems to criticize. http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...erican-history

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-28-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You are piquing my interest. America (2014 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks like this movie has the same slant as this article on Howard Zinn and a biography about him. He is the historian the movie seems to criticize. Howard Zinn's Influential Mutilations of American History | New Republic
After reading the Wikipedia entry, I was struck br the very poor review ratings from critics vs. the A+ rating from audiences reported by CinimaScore. Who you gonna believe?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
After reading the Wikipedia entry, I was struck br the very poor review ratings from critics vs. the A+ rating from audiences reported by CinimaScore. Who you gonna believe?
‘America: Imagine the World Without Her’ Review: Dinesh D’Souza Strikes Again | Variety

It looks like many of the people seeing this movie would go to anything he put out. ‘America: Imagine the World Without Her’ Review: Dinesh D’Souza Strikes Again | Variety
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.