Banning movies in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM

just reporting what I heard about Ted. People said they hated it and walked out. I didn't see it, have NO idea what's its about so of course no comment other than what people told me.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Maybe you should have spoken to the manager before you started making accusations.
I'm sure the manager tonight will be about 20 yrs old (ha) and no accusations were made. Only suggestions made that ALL moves be shown in the villages as we are all adults and can pay and not pay for what we choose to see.
that's the great thing about America!! choices to be made!! Bring in ALL the movies and the box office receipts should determine what stays and goes.
off to square now.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulababy View Post
I'm going to go down to Rialto tonight and see if I can speak to a manager. Maybe I can get some more info to keep us informed. With 80,000 plus we should not have to drive to orlando , gainsville or even ocala to see a movie!! We're the only theaters in the area.

Save yourself a trip. Just turn on Fox every night and you'll get the same thing as what is in the movie in a never ending loop.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
thousands of people want to see the movie coming out this Friday called 2016. Thousands,Hundreds have called Rialto theater because they were told it's being released Friday and they have told us they don't know if they will show it. Really, hundreds??
Since when do we ban movies being shown in the villages??? This is a politcal movie and this is America where we should have the RIGHT to see what we choose to see. We should NOT have to travel to theaters such as Orlando, Ocala, Gainsville etc.. to see popular movies. Banned, Really??I am a conservative so I want to see this movie as it is about the destruction of america by this President. I also feel though that the democrats and or liberals have a right to see their movies. Bring them all in if they are popular. why were we not allowed to see "The Hunger games" Democrats rights in TV, Really??
I love the villages but do not want to live in a country (no less a retirement community) where movies / books etc... are banned!! There's that word again, Really??Bring in 2016!! Everyone call Rialto and express your opinion. Everyone has a right to see what they choose to see and the box office receipts will determine if it is successful. This movie is brought to us by the same producers of Shindlers List. Instead of playing spiderman in two theaters bring in 2016. Instead of Marigold which has been out for months now bring in 2016. What about the folks that like these movies, Really??
With all the "garbage movies" playing out there and/ or the movies for kids they need to make sure movies made for adults are always shown. Others opinions?? A critic's view. Really??

Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Save yourself a trip. Just turn on Fox every night and you'll get the same thing as what is in the movie in a never ending loop.
Over and over!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm sure the manager tonight will be about 20 yrs old (ha) and no accusations were made. Only suggestions made that ALL moves be shown in the villages as we are all adults and can pay and not pay for what we choose to see.
that's the great thing about America!! choices to be made!! Bring in ALL the movies and the box office receipts should determine what stays and goes.
off to square now.
By that logic, all the stores that people want should have to locate in TV and all activities people here want should have to be provided. Afterall, "that's the great thing about Americal!! choices can be made!!"

I suspect that more than 100 people have requested indoor pools and performing arts center in the annual surveys. How dare TV not make them available right here in America, even though people want those choices.

Oh wait, America has free enterprise too. So a hundred of us can't just demand that a business proprietor contract with distributors as necessary to give us all the choices we want. And if said business proprietor has negotiated an affordable deal with other distributors by agreeing to show all of their movies, or has negotiated other affordable (to him) terms we don't like, we can't demand that said entrepreneur break his contract and possibly his profit margin because one group organized a phone bank to demand other choices at his expense.

Darn, don't you just hate it when freedom cuts both ways.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Sage

I think we should have golfcart access to saltwater fishing.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
It’s no secret that developer Gary Morse (who owns the two theaters in TV) is a staunch supporter of the Republican party and he and his family are heavy contributors to that party and have hosted numerous Republican candidate rallies in TV.

2016 was produced, directed, and narrated by conservative commentator Dinesh D'Souza, a former Reagan staff member and author of such books as Obama's America: Unmaking the American Dream and The roots of Obama's Rage.

So if your suspicions proved to be correct, what motive would they have for suppressing this film in TV.

Trying to stay on track and not get political, might it be that the developer has been accused sometimes of suppression when it was purely a business decision based on the expected box office take of a film or contractual issues as 2catsmeow pointed out.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum member
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
By that logic, all the stores that people want should have to locate in TV and all activities people here want should have to be provided. Afterall, "that's the great thing about Americal!! choices can be made!!"

I suspect that more than 100 people have requested indoor pools and performing arts center in the annual surveys. How dare TV not make them available right here in America, even though people want those choices.

Oh wait, America has free enterprise too. So a hundred of us can't just demand that a business proprietor contract with distributors as necessary to give us all the choices we want. And if said business proprietor has negotiated an affordable deal with other distributors by agreeing to show all of their movies, or has negotiated other affordable (to him) terms we don't like, we can't demand that said entrepreneur break his contract and possibly his profit margin because one group organized a phone bank to demand other choices at his expense.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Sage

I too am a conservative....that being said...Up North we knew a family who ran a movie theater in our community. It was a 4-plex. They didn't have a "say" in what movies came or not. The movie companies make those decisions from what we were told.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM

For what it is worth - 2016 is not playing in Leesburg, Belleview or Crystal River either (that is all I checked - I would bet I could find other areas if I was so inclined) - and I wouldn't say it is 'Banned' from playing in any of those locations. I still think it has to do the the agreement with the distributor. The theater that it IS playing at in Ocala is very nice - not too long of a drive - and then you can stop for a nice dinner after (or lunch before) - and make a pleasant day of it. Not all theaters show all movies. We are also not getting Expendables 2 which I would like to see - it is a Lionsgate film - but I will either wait until it is on cable or red box - or drive to Ocala.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catsmeow View Post
For what it is worth - 2016 is not playing in Leesburg, Belleview or Crystal River either (that is all I checked - I would bet I could find other areas if I was so inclined) - and I wouldn't say it is 'Banned' from playing in any of those locations. I still think it has to do the the agreement with the distributor. The theater that it IS playing at in Ocala is very nice - not too long of a drive - and then you can stop for a nice dinner after (or lunch before) - and make a pleasant day of it. Not all theaters show all movies. We are also not getting Expendables 2 which I would like to see - it is a Lionsgate film - but I will either wait until it is on cable or red box - or drive to Ocala.
Hush Catsmeow....you must not inject logic into this discussion. Even though numerous folks have explained the concept of distributor contracts throughout this thread ... that doesn’t matter. It must, must, must be some kind conspiracy theory that has to be resolved via berating a theater “manager” who has absolutely no control over what is played in his theater.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Hush Catsmeow....you must not inject logic into this discussion. Even though numerous folks have explained the concept of distributor contracts throughout this thread ... that doesn’t matter. It must, must, must be some kind conspiracy theory that has to be resolved via berating a theater “manager” who has absolutely no control over what is played in his theater.
So true!! I guess some folks feel they need to blame someone.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
off to square now.
Sorry, but you did state that the movie was banned in The Villages. That was an over the top statement that has no basis in reality. The movie theaters are already ballot boxes where box office receipts determine what stays or goes. But what gets on the ballot must be limited. That decision is made both contractually with the distributors, and by the owners who are always trying to maximize profits. If any of those decisions conflict with your personal wishes, you have the right to go elsewhere or to voice your displeasure as you have done on TOTV. However, baseless accusations are most definitely not the way to get your point across and will only result in a whole bunch of folks pointing that out to you.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post

Insightful. Damn near profound.
No wonder this poster is listed as a Sage!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.