Boomer
HI. Who (what?) is pogo?
Old 08-11-2023, 10:21 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
HI. Who (what?) is pogo?

My new signature line is in reference to Pogo’s most famous quote — which Two Bills picked up on immediately in his post #81.

Pogo was a possum in a comic strip that was syndicated in newspapers from 1949 to 1975.

There is an article titled, “The Most Highly Controversial Comic Strip” that can be found with a Google of that title and including the words ‘JSTOR Daily’. You can also see a picture of Pogo there.

Even though I cut my teeth on Mad magazine, I was either too young or too busy to tune in to Pogo during those years when it was running in the papers.

Walt Kelly was the cartoonist and he was censored from time to time. He was around to take on the McCarthy era. Characters satirizing Joe McCarthy and others, like Khrushchev, appeared in animal form. Kelly also satirized us regular people and how we act toward each other.

The famous Pogo quote — that I am saying he was right about — applies more today than it ever did. Walt Kelly would not be able to draw fast enough to keep up now. There is waaaaay too much material.

The Barbie movie is entertaining satire, like most good satire. But certain media have their devotees all enraged over the dumbest things…….like the map. That map was nothing more than an innocent childlike drawing and was not really even noticeable. (I watched for it because I had heard the latest madness.) Geez. If that map was a threatening, dangerous, commie pinko plot (yeah, right) it was not a very good one.

As a nation, we are in a mess, having been stirred into exactly what Pogo said in that most famous quote, “We have met the enemy and he is us.” That is why when Two Bills recognized the reference, I said, “That possum was a prophet.”

Boomer

PS: Anyway, Whitley, you asked me the time and I built you a clock. But I hope you will look up that article. I just discovered JSTOR and saw a few more articles I want to read — if I ever get around to it.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:15 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Well, it's a twofer - Hollyweird and Hollywoke, both wrapped into one film.

China is a huge market. Hollywood knows and appreciates that. In Hollywood it is always about the bucks. It wants to produce films that can be shown there. Barbie accomplishes that objective. It does not matter that Viet Nam and The Philippines are unhappy. They are much smaller markets.

At least I own some Warner Bros. stock so may benefit a little financially.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-12-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Well, it's a twofer - Hollyweird and Hollywoke, both wrapped into one film.

China is a huge market. Hollywood knows and appreciates that. In Hollywood it is always about the bucks. It wants to produce films that can be shown there. Barbie accomplishes that objective. It does not matter that Viet Nam and The Philippines are unhappy. They are much smaller markets.
This comment just made me laugh out loud!
Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

. . .

Last edited by Boomer; 08-11-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Barbie - Rotten Tomatoes

Is this worth seeing? Funny? Edgy?

I did enjoy La La Land. La La Land - Rotten Tomatoes

I just may wait until it comes out on Digital unless it has some really good special effects.
We saw it yesterday. A waste of money. A mixture of great graphics and worn out indoctrination.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
She cares about her looks, someone said her ideal is the trailer trash look, it wasn’t me who said that. I said she was not educated, people seem to equate that with smart. There are many forms of smart, education is one of them. I would guess she listened to her handlers, a simple country girl probably would, to people who knew how to work the media. Or do you think somehow, by magic, she just knew everything, from that isolated one-room cabin in the mountains, on her own? Dolly is successful in fame and money, but she paid a price that some people would not. That’s all.
She hasn't ever had handlers. She's had a manager and an agent, who she chose herself, and they work collaboratively. She is smart and shrewd when it comes to business. That business acumen was taught to her by her father, who was illiterate and uneducated, but savvy and able to keep their family afloat in an environment where most people could not. And she is genuine and sincere when it comes to people. She "worked the media" by being true to herself and the values she was taught by her parents. She is unapologetic, and does things her way. She is absolutely a self-made woman and an inspiration to all women.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
She hasn't ever had handlers. She's had a manager and an agent, who she chose herself, and they work collaboratively. She is smart and shrewd when it comes to business. That business acumen was taught to her by her father, who was illiterate and uneducated, but savvy and able to keep their family afloat in an environment where most people could not. And she is genuine and sincere when it comes to people. She "worked the media" by being true to herself and the values she was taught by her parents. She is unapologetic, and does things her way. She is absolutely a self-made woman and an inspiration to all women.
Well, I’m glad to hear that. I especially like the self-made part. Even inspiring. But the “looks” sure turn me off.… I just listen to her and don’t look at her. Her voice is wonderful.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:21 PM

See it! Go! It's a lighthearted escape from today's world and, amazingly, thought provoking. We saw it; the 3 of us, aged 73, 69 and 63 and we wore (some) pink. It’s a fun, funny, joyful movie. Has a few good songs, some great dancing, terrific costumes & a lot to reflect on afterwards. We were smiling and laughing as we drove home. It's only $6 on Sat & Sun after 6 pm at LSL. Enjoy!
Old 08-20-2023, 05:34 AM

Possibly the worst movie I ever saw. I can't believe you're recommending this.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
See it! Go! It's a lighthearted escape from today's world and, amazingly, thought provoking. We saw it; the 3 of us, aged 73, 69 and 63 and we wore (some) pink. It’s a fun, funny, joyful movie. Has a few good songs, some great dancing, terrific costumes & a lot to reflect on afterwards. We were smiling and laughing as we drove home. It's only $6 on Sat & Sun after 6 pm at LSL. Enjoy!
Thanks for the positive post!!
Old 08-20-2023, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I’m waiting for the movie 🍿 “watching grass grow”.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:46 PM
Sage

Yep, right after the movie, “Watching paint dry”.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Different kind of movie.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Well technically she’s 19 and she’s definitely not married so I’m guessing that’s why?
They actually came out with one, with the baby on a "vacancy" in Barbie's belly. The child gifted this toy had to undress Barbie, and pluck out the baby to remove the "bay-bump". Left a lot of children confused about how pregnancy really works. Lots of pushback from parents and was pulled.
Closed Thread

Tags
barbie, worth, funny, edgy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.