Everything Everywhere All at Once. (2022)

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2023, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
No.
It’s good! Funny. Came out last year. Nick Cage plays a heightened version of himself and Pedro Pascal plays a rich guy who wrote a screenplay for him to star in. It’s free on Amazon now I think.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Yes good not great but good
Agreed. There were some really funny parts though. I do love those movies/shows where they play themselves.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:57 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,761 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Everything Everywhere All at Once - Wikipedia

It is the big winner at this year's Academy Awards. List of accolades received by Everything Everywhere All at Once - Wikipedia

Have only seen it up to the point where Jamie Lee Curtis' character enters the story but will have to see what the fuss is about.

There are a number of recent Best Pictures I have not been able to watch in one sitting. Academy Awards - Wikipedia
Yes, can tell I'm getting old, I really really miss, really really good epic movies: The Last Emperor, Dr. Zhivago, Gandhi, Ben Hur, The Deer Hunter, Lawrence of Arabia, Out of Africa, the first Rocky, Pearl Harbor, even one of the first spectaculars my parents took me to as a little kid, The Greatest Show on Earth ! well, I guess I better stop... I did really enjoy Top Gun Maverick, maybe not in the class with some I named from the past, but after all that's been happening in the world around us, was fun to just have a rah rah movie. But this Everything, E, A, A,O, with it's darker nihilism, existentialism, and all kinds of "hidden" racial and philosophical "messages"... I'd rather read another philosophy book, not in a movie, please ! But, looks Iike I am definitely in the minority. I just could not sit through it all, had to go get a Culver's after the weight of that "so called comedy" !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 03-13-2023 at 10:26 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-13-2023, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai[I
[/I]radocs;2197577]Yes, can tell I'm getting old, I really really miss, really really good epic movies: The Last Emperor, Dr. Zhivago, Gandhi, Ben Hur, The Deer Hunter, Lawrence of Arabia, well, I guess I better stop... even one of the first spectaculars my parents took me to as a little kid, The Greatest Show on Earth ! I did really enjoy Top Gun Maverick, maybe not in the class with some I names from the past, but after all that's been happening in the world around us, was fun to just have a rah rah movie.
Loved Top Gun: Maverick and there are Best Picture winners also thought were very entertaining like The Shape of Water, Gladiator , Chicago , Green Book, and Argo .

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-13-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,409 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Loved Top Gun: Maverick and there are Best Picture winners also thought were very entertaining like The Shape of Water, Gladiator , Chicago , Green Book, and Argo .
Not a great film buff these days, but I did watch Green Book.
Didn't realize until the end it was based on real people.
Enjoyable if a bit predictable. Sort of Driving Miss Daisy on steroids!
Old 03-14-2023, 05:52 AM

The Academy Awards are voted on the members of the Academy. Their idea of a great movie is clearly different from the people who watch them.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Going slightly off topic (books instead of movies), has anyone read A Confederacy of Dunces?

The NY Times Book Review listed it as one of the top 25 novels of the past 125 years.

I read it. Perhaps I am stupid, lack sophistication, or I don't understand great satire (or possibly a combination of those factors), but it may have been the worst book I have ever read. I kept reading it thinking that it has to get better - but I was wrong. The only interesting thing about it was how it got published - posthumously. Please note that Ulysses was also on that list of best books.

If anyone liked it, I would like to hear your reasons.

A Confederacy of Dunces - Wikipedia
I have it. I started it 3 times. Got to Chapter 3 once. Maybe I'll try again.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Everything Everywhere All at Once - Wikipedia

It is the big winner at this year's Academy Awards. List of accolades received by Everything Everywhere All at Once - Wikipedia

Have only seen it up to the point where Jamie Lee Curtis' character enters the story but will have to see what the fuss is about.

There are a number of recent Best Pictures I have not been able to watch in one sitting. Academy Awards - Wikipedia
DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY 💰 !!! Hollywood self-congratulatory BS! Two hours and nineteen minutes you’ll NEVER get back!
Old 03-14-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I haven’t seen it but, according to the description, it is incomprehensible.

The star has to connect with parallel universe versions of herself to prevent a powerful being from destroying the multiverse.

Has anyone seen it and
A. Liked it, and
B. Understood it?
C. Ran out screaming 😱
Old 03-14-2023, 07:32 AM

Tried to watch it 3 times. Very convoluted. Can’t believe Jamie Lee wasn’t embarrassed to play that role.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
It does indeed sound incomprehensible. I'm gonna go off the rails here and say I REALLY enjoyed the movie Being John Malcovich. 9 of 10 people who have seen it consider it stupid- with the 1 considering it brilliant. I thought it was brilliant. This Oscar winner may be that kind of film.
No…”Being John Malcovich” was intelligent. This was stupid and gimmicky and made us want to get up and leave a few times…leave out the “king fu fighting” scenes and you have 45 minutes of substance…maybe.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I saw it. Quirky as hell...

I liked it...

I understood it...
Yes…But it was still stupid and WAY TOO LONG….

Last edited by defrey12; 03-14-2023 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Forgot a word
Old 03-14-2023, 07:47 AM

Gimmicks and quirkiness do not make a good movie. Neither does shocking scenes. While some of the acting was good. The thin plot and the endless Kung Foo fighting scenes left me bored. Don’t waste your money and time on this film.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:58 AM

I've seen it several times. Imaginative. May take a few viewings to get it all. Definitely different than the typical super hero films that have saturated movie theaters for years. The movie is spoofing modern multiverse flicks. Infinite universes, infinite possibilities. That silly stuff. You know, Everything Everywhere ALL At Once. It was interesting to see the Indiana Jones "Short Round" kid all grown up. Well sort of grown up. Got to see the movie to understand.

Last edited by cjrjck; 03-14-2023 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

I found it overwhelming in places at first, but I enjoyed it more as it went on and as I started enjoying the characters; completely loved Jamie Lee Curtis's character; but at the end is where you understand the point of the movie and then it all makes sense and has a big message. An editing masterpiece.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Closed Thread

Tags
fuss, number, recent, pictures, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.