Fair Play in the Villages????

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajack View Post
LOL That's why I said almost. There was a good war movie that won some Oscars but it wasn't a smash at box office. It did good in DVD, though. Can't remember the name, but had to do with disarming bombs.
The Hurt Locker. Believe it won a lot of Oscars last year while up against Avatar.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Here is a 5 page list of conservative actors(and actresses) from past to present. A few surprises.

http://www.ranker.com/list/actors-re...-conservatives
Interesting list.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
While, this is very close to being bumped to political, as a lifelong conservative, I have to ask, "why should liberal leaning movies not be shown in The Villages?"
Thank you. I would hope that we could have our choice of movies here without Big Brother trying to dictate what we should watch simply because it doesn't jive with their (the Morse's) point of view. And although it may have a liberal slant, it is based on true facts. Naomi Watts stars as CIA agent Valerie Plame, whose marriage to former ambassador Joseph Wilson (Sean Penn) became strained when he criticized the Bush administration. The Administration retaliated by outing his wife as an undercover operative. I like Sean Penn in about anything, and look forward to seeing this movie.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Veteran member

The Washington Post's, hardly a conservative newspapaer, editorial board says "Fair Game" is full of distortions and outright inventions.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

Thanks for the list. Very interesting to say the least. Some total surprises
Old 12-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Jo View Post
The Washington Post's, hardly a conservative newspapaer, editorial board says "Fair Game" is full of distortions and outright inventions.
It was interesting to note that the Post's "editorial review" which you quoted was entitled 'Fair Game' gets some things about the Valerie Plame case right, some wrong'. Fair Game is advertised as a docudrama, in other words it is based on true facts, but literary license is used to reconstruct scenes/charactars and bring events to life, which will make the movie entertaining for viewers, but can be misleading. I've read that in this movie, the charactars are actually composites, but they represent a sobering reminder of what was at stake beyond the political theater staged by way of Fox News and MSNBC.

The Post's "critic review" by Anh Hornaday on Nov. 5 called it a riveting drama minus the rhetoric, an engaging thriller and taut, serious adult film of a quality that Hollywood rarely produces anymore.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

The trouble is most people don't bother digging to find out if it is true. They take what they see as gospel.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Thank you. I would hope that we could have our choice of movies here without Big Brother trying to dictate what we should watch simply because it doesn't jive with their (the Morse's) point of view. And although it may have a liberal slant, it is based on true facts. Naomi Watts stars as CIA agent Valerie Plame, whose marriage to former ambassador Joseph Wilson (Sean Penn) became strained when he criticized the Bush administration. The Administration retaliated by outing his wife as an undercover operative. I like Sean Penn in about anything, and look forward to seeing this movie.
Not so much JUST the Morses point of view. I have heard repeatedly that the demographics of The Villages population is approximately 75% registered in one political party.

I am trying to keep this out of politics. How am I doin'?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

I saw it written somewhere, I can look for it, that the statistics are 60% Republican, 40% other. Forty percent is a pretty large percentage percentage of the population. In my opinion, a smart business person would try to market their product to both demographics. But you're right Gracie, this is a movie discussion forum, not political.

Update: I couldn't find the statics overall for the Villages, but did find this for the Sumter County portion of the Villages: Of registered voters - 52% Republicans, 48% other. And including all of Sumter County (outside TV as well as TV) the percentages are 47% Republicans, 53% other.

Last edited by Taj44; 12-05-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM

I think one has to be a little careful as to the validity of what we see and hear through any form of the media, be it the Washington Post, Time, Fox news, MSNBC, Oliver Stone movies, or rags like the National Enquirer. Their stories are often based on fact but filled with opinions, prejudice, and changes to make them more entertaining and sellable. We saw "Fair Game" this afternoon and found it very interesting. Naomi Watts and Sean Penn are excellent actors and the story was compelling and fascinating. If your politics are such that you either refuse to see it or go to it with the preconceived notion that you will hate it because it's produced by those "flaming liberals" in Hollywood, then you probably won't believe a word of it and will hate it. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all be open minded and explore the facts from both sides of the aisle before we come to conclusions.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Well, I haven't been here long enough to really give you an informed answer to that question.
Hollywood is a left-leaning industry. It would be next to impossible to ban every film that has liberal content.

I read reviews before I make my decision on which films I see. I have eliminated many television shows because of the propaganda.

I watch TV and movies for escapism and entertainment. If I want my blood pressure to rise, I just turn on television and tune in to the network news.
Except I turn on Fox News for true heartburn.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Having not seen the movie, did they make it clear that the person who was the source of the leak was Richard Armitage who was not exactly a pro-war member of the administration? Did they also make it clear that when Plame took this to court that the court threw the case out? And that when she appealed it, the appeals court also threw it out? Also, did it make it clear that then solicitor general and now supreme court justice Elena Kagan also agreed with the decision to throw the case out? Without such pertinent facts included it is hard to claim that the movie was based on facts. If they were included, then perhaps the movie may be worth seeing.

Last edited by NJblue; 12-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

At the end of the movie, it was stated Armitage was named as the source of the leak.

The civil suit filed by Plame and Wilson against Cheney et al was not mentioned in the movie.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

I believe the lawsuits were thrown out on jurisdictional grounds, not for reason of guilt or innocence. The U.S. Court of Appeals said that Plame and Wilson did not meet the legal standard for constitutional claims, in part because the lawsuit hinges on alleged violations of the Privacy Act — a law that does not cover the president or the vice president's offices.
Plame’s attorneys had said the lawsuit would be an uphill battle. Public officials are normally immune from such lawsuits filed in connection with their jobs.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:44 PM

I'm an independent and thought it was a solid movie with very good performances by the actors . . . two of my friends who are die-hard conservative also liked the movie as a movie. It certainly was worth the cost of admission and was not a Michael Moore preaching movie!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.