Gettysburg. (1993)

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2023, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default Gettysburg. (1993)

Gettysburg - Rotten Tomatoes

Watched this 1993 movie again. The cost of the catering must have been tremendous with all the Civil War reenactors they had in this.

It is a 4.5 hour movie. Much of it actually filmed on the locations in Gettysburg.

I recall reading the book The Killer Angels - Wikipedia while visiting Las Vegas with my father. Had read much of it on the drive down from Reno, Nevada. The movie is based on the book and has lines taken from it.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-24-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Gettysburg - Rotten Tomatoes

Watched this 1993 movie again. The cost of the catering must have been tremendous with all the Civil War reenactors they had in this.

It is a 4.5 hour movie. Much of it actually filmed on the locations in Gettysburg.

I recall reading the book The Killer Angels - Wikipedia while visiting Las Vegas with my father. Had read much of it on the drive down from Reno, Nevada. The movie is based on the book and has lines taken from it.
Great movie, and pretty true to the book as well as history. Some of the personalities were fictitious (such as Kilrain, who did not exist in real life) and some of the facts were presented a little loosely (such as there were at least three Chamberlain brothers in the 20th Maine, not two), but overall a great watch. The battle sequences were, as I understand it, pretty much spot-on.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Great movie, and pretty true to the book as well as history. Some of the personalities were fictitious (such as Kilrain, who did not exist in real life) and some of the facts were presented a little loosely (such as there were at least three Chamberlain brothers in the 20th Maine, not two), but overall a great watch. The battle sequences were, as I understand it, pretty much spot-on.
A number of the reenactors are now villagers. Filmed battle in two segments often using same actors so they were kind of shooting at themselves.

Excellent movie
Old 08-24-2023, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

I remember falling asleep a few times during the movie. Maybe I will watch it in increments.

I did play Sid Meijer's Gettysburg computer game for many hours.
Closed Thread

Tags
movie, gettysburg, civil, re-enactors, war

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.