Just watched "Don't Look Up!"

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
On Netflix, if you want to watch a movie.

For those who have watched it:

Is it a comedy or political satire?
Who do you recognize anyone?
Do you see yourself anywhere in there?
Which themes did you see?
Excellent flick. We’ll worth the watch
Old 01-01-2022, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
It is on my “must see” list. Dr. Strangelove is on my top five all-time list.
It was OK, but no Dr. Strangelove. Maybe somewhat close in premise but far away in execution.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

I watched it last night and enjoyed it. Be sure to watch to where Meryl Streep, playing a Hilary-like president, dies. I laughed so hard that I had to back it up and see it again and laugh again. It’s so utterly unexpected, and the novelist George Meredith wrote, more than a century go, in his book “On Comedy,” that this is the essence of what makes us laugh. We must either laugh, or we must cry from shock and surprise.

“Don’t Look Up” is definitely Satire in the classical definition of the term, which means that it must have correction and improvement of a problem in society as an important goal. That is how it differs from comedy. Thus, Jonathan Swift’s novel “Gulliver’s Travels” is trying to teach us about the silliness of court etiquette, problems in education, political philosophy, attitudes toward war and peace, and much more. His famous essay, available online, “A Modest Proposal,” recommends eating Irish babies as a good solution to the problems of famine in Ireland in 1729. Was he serious? No, he was Irish, and he didn’t think babies should be eaten, but he made readers think about the effects of British policies toward Ireland that were causing the famine. Similarly, “Monty Python’s Life of Brian”—which I couldn’t sit through because I found it sacrilegious—was saying very serious and possibly true things about how aspects of a religion can come about because of misunderstandings or carrying comments to extremes.

“Don’t Look Up” is sometimes funny, but it isn’t a comedy. It is, however, a satire, and a good satire may seldom be funny. The situation is serious: a comet that will kill all life on earth arriving in six months. The reactions by the government are all too likely. This is NOT a Democrat or Republican thing. Not at all! I think any team in the White House would respond in much the same way, seeing the end of the world as a political opportunity and failing to see the seriousness of the situation. (We see this going on all over the country right now with state responses to Covid rules.) This part of the movie is satirical and all too likely. It horrifies as it makes us laugh. The response of the morning entertainment show hosts in the movie is dead on accurate. (I can’t stand those phony shows—I don’t find their semi-mindless banter and worship of celebrities amusing.)

See it. Enjoy.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:35 AM

Watched about an hour of it - then fast forward to the end. Just Hollywood big shots trying to be witty and funny - doesn't work.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I watched it last night and enjoyed it. Be sure to watch to where Meryl Streep, playing a Hilary-like president, dies. I laughed so hard that I had to back it up and see it again and laugh again. It’s so utterly unexpected, and the novelist George Meredith wrote, more than a century go, in his book “On Comedy,” that this is the essence of what makes us laugh. We must either laugh, or we must cry from shock and surprise.

“Don’t Look Up” is definitely Satire in the classical definition of the term, which means that it must have correction and improvement of a problem in society as an important goal. That is how it differs from comedy. Thus, Jonathan Swift’s novel “Gulliver’s Travels” is trying to teach us about the silliness of court etiquette, problems in education, political philosophy, attitudes toward war and peace, and much more. His famous essay, available online, “A Modest Proposal,” recommends eating Irish babies as a good solution to the problems of famine in Ireland in 1729. Was he serious? No, he was Irish, and he didn’t think babies should be eaten, but he made readers think about the effects of British policies toward Ireland that were causing the famine. Similarly, “Monty Python’s Life of Brian”—which I couldn’t sit through because I found it sacrilegious—was saying very serious and possibly true things about how aspects of a religion can come about because of misunderstandings or carrying comments to extremes.

“Don’t Look Up” is sometimes funny, but it isn’t a comedy. It is, however, a satire, and a good satire may seldom be funny. The situation is serious: a comet that will kill all life on earth arriving in six months. The reactions by the government are all too likely. This is NOT a Democrat or Republican thing. Not at all! I think any team in the White House would respond in much the same way, seeing the end of the world as a political opportunity and failing to see the seriousness of the situation. (We see this going on all over the country right now with state responses to Covid rules.) This part of the movie is satirical and all too likely. It horrifies as it makes us laugh. The response of the morning entertainment show hosts in the movie is dead on accurate. (I can’t stand those phony shows—I don’t find their semi-mindless banter and worship of celebrities amusing.)

See it. Enjoy.
I'm not the sci fy type. While watching I simply substituted the comet for a pandemic and now naming the characters got much easier.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:35 AM

Spoiler alert: scroll on by if you don’t want to hear about the ending.

And through our own greed, selfishness and ignorance our planet is destroyed.
But the top 1%ers find a way to survive….only to become the bottom of the food chain.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:36 AM
Thumbs down Could've been much better

Interesting premise that ended up being a waste of a good cast. Characters that were intended to serve as political and social symbols were just over done, silly and shallow. I would guess a lot of folks will turn this off before it gets to it's fitting end. I did like the song 'Look Up' by Ariana Grande, but not much else.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
Spoiler alert: scroll on by if you don’t want to hear about the ending.

And through our own greed, selfishness and ignorance our planet is destroyed.
But the top 1%ers find a way to survive….only to become the bottom of the food chain.
As with you - warning don't read if you intend to watch in the future !

Top two of my observations of what we call leadership today on this planet:
1 Don't ever let a good crisis go to waste.
2 The entire world could not unite even in the face of a common enemy.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Watched and gave it a 2 out of 10 - don’t waste your time!
Old 01-02-2022, 08:15 AM

I thought it was also an indictment of the media, prioritizing salacious or oddball behavior stories ahed of serious issues, A predicted comet impact is a helluva also-predicted climate change.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:19 AM

I can’t watch mr hill do anything - he’s just not funny- I’d rather watch a piece of clay for 2 hours…
Old 01-02-2022, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

See it. Enjoy.
Thought the Meryl Streep character was more Donald like than Hillary. Doesnt make much difference, but either way if a main character is killed off it may be best to save it to the end of a post with a 'spoiler alert' disclaimer.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krick093 View Post
Interesting premise that ended up being a waste of a good cast. Characters that were intended to serve as political and social symbols were just over done, silly and shallow. I would guess a lot of folks will turn this off before it gets to it's fitting end. I did like the song 'Look Up' by Ariana Grande, but not much else.
So, you're saying it's an accurate portrayal?

-Tom Petty
Old 01-02-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Dude! A "Spoiler Alert" would be nice!

-Tom Petty
Old 01-02-2022, 08:46 AM

I don't contribute to Hollywood.
Closed Thread

Tags
watched, recognize, satire, political, themes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.